Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously negligent recruiting disaster full stop.
Can't say weren't warned about all his health issues.
Why should we pick up his pieces after the shit way he left.
Sucked in big time!!!!

Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 pm

Claiming "depression" is a modern populist excuse for failure and incompetence making it "politically incorrect" to question.'
CFC doesn't owe Beams or anybody a career or a living.
He should piss off and try somewhere else for a handout and another shoulder to cry on. Everyone's old man dies. Mine did when I was 12.
Get over it.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 pm

swoop42 wrote:
It's the perfect reason to provide because as this thread painfully points out no one whether it be the media or Joe public will ever dare attempt to seek out further clarification or question the veracity as they will be hounded down and labelled as insensitive.

I kind of think the opposite. The media and public demand to know stuff that surely they have no right to know, just because it's a footballer. Footballers and clubs are then virtually forced to disclose all sorts of personal stuff that no one in a normal job would have to.

Whatever happened to personal privacy?
Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:46 pm

Did Beams' " mental health" issues compromise his most recent contracts with Brisbane and Collingwood. "Give us a break" !!!
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:48 pm

Culprit wrote:
I work with people with mental illness on a daily basis and on a scale of 10 they are 11. Sit Beams in a room with one guy I work with who has one arm and no legs and barely sleeps through nightmares and has treatment on daily and let Beams tell him how bad things are for him. Sorry if I really don’t give a shit about a sportsman paid big bucks.

So what you're saying is that mental illness is really only valid for the people who have had it as hard as those in the situation you describe? Get real - mental illness can affect people from all walks of life and from different backgrounds, and for different reasons. Not saying that that your cases haven't got it hard (indeed they're at the worst end of it); just can't believe you're downplaying others' mental illness.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:36 am

Very sad for Beams and I hope he finds a way back from his bouts of depression.

As for Collingwood, it is clear now that we paid way too much (2 first round draft picks) for a player, known to be battling physical and mental health issues.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 am

All I’ll say is – for those of you who think mental illness is suddenly trendy among AFL players or some kind of get out of jail free card – that what we’re seeing now is almost certainly still a vast underrepresentation of the number of players with serious mental health issues. Known rates of mental illness in ordinary society are much higher than the relatively low percentage of AFL players who’ve gone public, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the high-pressure, high-surveillance life of an elite footballer would make you even more, not less, susceptible to poor psychological health outcomes.

So those like Beams who are coming out publicly with it and getting the help they need are doing something brave (particularly considering the stigma and all the "man up" stuff they’re going to cop on social media for doing so), and will hopefully help others who need it to do the same. In the meantime, if we consider ourselves "supporters" ... well, it should be pretty obvious what our job is. Get well soon, Dayne.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:10 am

Culprit wrote:
AFL Footballers with depression, please. Sit them down with servicemen and women I work with who have come back from serious armed conflict and now suffering with serious PTSD and let them tell these guys how tough their lives are. They would be laughed at. The new soft generation have no idea what tough is.

Everyone's experience of mental health issues is individual. Unfortunately it reveals a surprising level of ignorance with respect to mental illness compared to your usual more informed posts.

Shocked

All you missed out on was "when I was a lad....." in my day we knew more about mental illness......we lived in a hole in the ground.....

The logical extension of what you posted is "toughen up, pull your socks up, snap out of it there are others worse than you...."

I thought that went out some 10 years ago but looks like I'm wrong.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:25 am

Culprit wrote:
... servicemen and women I work with ...

In what capacity do you work with these people?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:37 am

There's no doubt Beams has issues and in saying that he will receive the best help and support money can buy. The average citizen would struggle to get any assistance. So yes feel for him but don't make out he's the only person having an issue. If he was Joe Smith playing Country Football somewhere he wouldn't rate a mention in any news service.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:38 am

K wrote:
Culprit wrote:

We have gone down this road before .
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 am

I just want the best outcome for Beams and his family.

It (depression/mental health issues) is a killer.

I love the Magpies and those who wear the jumper, but all of that pales into insignificance when one looks at the bigger picture which is the welfare of a fellow human being.

As one who suffers from depression, I can empathise with Beams; I cannot remember what it is to laugh and be happy some days even though I know I am loved by Mrs Warburton Lad, my children and my grandchild.

There is an old French saying, "When I am happy, it is hard to remember when I was sad; when I am sad, it is hard to remember being happy".

As one 'broken' Magpie to another, I wish and pray that Beams gets back to a state of happiness and contentedness with his life.

For me, at least, this is far more important than whether he returns to the playing field to delight us with his skills as an elite footballer.

Floreat Pica, everybody.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:54 am

Culprit wrote:
K wrote:
Culprit wrote:
We have gone down this road before .

I guess so... But you're not in charge of their psychological recovery, right?
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 am

Personal judgments can lack understanding and required empathy of a broad spectrum communal issue, by becoming part of the problem. We need to come to the realisation that casting particular assumptions and judgments upon another, can further accentuate current mental health issues. Healing comes through empathy and support, not opinion and assumption. Take all the time you need Beamsey!
think better 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 am

warburton lad wrote:
I just want the best outcome for Beams and his family.

It (depression/mental health issues) is a killer.

I love the Magpies and those who wear the jumper, but all of that pales into insignificance when one looks at the bigger picture which is the welfare of a fellow human being.

As one who suffers from depression, I can empathise with Beams; I cannot remember what it is to laugh and be happy some days even though I know I am loved by Mrs Warburton Lad, my children and my grandchild.

There is an old French saying, "When I am happy, it is hard to remember when I was sad; when I am sad, it is hard to remember being happy".

As one 'broken' Magpie to another, I wish and pray that Beams gets back to a state of happiness and contentedness with his life.

For me, at least, this is far more important than whether he returns to the playing field to delight us with his skills as an elite footballer.

Floreat Pica, everybody.

As always Lad you make the best post in a sea of dodgy ones.

All the best to you and from me all the best to Beams as he works his way through this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 159 of 188   

Jump to: