Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Well, we're playing the Doggies next week

#straightsets might be a possibility

this statement is as accurate as any other post you have made tonight and proves what a total flog you are. get back to bigfooty and soak in the vitriol there.

a magnificent final today that either side deserved to win. live to fight another day

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:59 pm

Yes, we lost the game and that hurts and it’s disappointing. It also sucks that we could not find a way to win this close game when we have spent half the season winning close games. But Geelong is no ordinary team, and they are as adept at winning close games as we are and, in my opinion, we are their equal right now, we just lack a bit of calmness and polish to finish off our work. It is the big area we need to improve as it has been what has stopped us from winning games by more comfortable margins. I’m not too worried about the contested ball and clearance, we can win without all that, we can win unconventionally playing our way. We just need to get more clinical playing our way.

We did not get crushed in any major stat tonight and lost with the final goal of the game. This result could have gone either way, we played hard, tough, relentless footy and matched the best team in the competition. This is the positive to take. We are getting better by the week. We are better now than we were against Sydney 3 weeks ago, better than we have been all year and we are still getting better with potentially 3 games to go. We can still win the damn thing, I believe that.

We have a coach who thinks and speaks in ways I have never heard of before and he impresses and convinces me that he will get the very best out of us because he does not accept a losing mentality. Did you listen to what he said in the presser around picking 6 guys up from lying on the ground after the loss because he believes that is a loser mentality, an act of a loser and he believes we are not losers, we are winners, we are winners that lost a game of footy and that happens but stand tall and don’t show your opponent that you were beaten. I love this, he is a great coach.

Every final now is a knockout so we cannot let anything more slip. We need to start taking our chances in front of goal, fumble less and we need a few guys to step up and prove they are worthy of their spot, and we need to start next week against Freo. The season is still alive, and we can beat Freo at the MCG, we can beat Sydney at the SCG, and we can beat whoever stands in our way in the GF.

MONCO: Your life.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:12 am

Monco Matt wrote:
Yes, we lost the game and that hurts and it’s disappointing. It also sucks that we could not find a way to win this close game when we have spent half the season winning close games. But Geelong is no ordinary team, and they are as adept at winning close games as we are and, in my opinion, we are their equal right now, we just lack a bit of calmness and polish to finish off our work. It is the big area we need to improve as it has been what has stopped us from winning games by more comfortable margins. I’m not too worried about the contested ball and clearance, we can win without all that, we can win unconventionally playing our way. We just need to get more clinical playing our way.

We did not get crushed in any major stat tonight and lost with the final goal of the game. This result could have gone either way, we played hard, tough, relentless footy and matched the best team in the competition. This is the positive to take. We are getting better by the week. We are better now than we were against Sydney 3 weeks ago, better than we have been all year and we are still getting better with potentially 3 games to go. We can still win the damn thing, I believe that.

We have a coach who thinks and speaks in ways I have never heard of before and he impresses and convinces me that he will get the very best out of us because he does not accept a losing mentality. Did you listen to what he said in the presser around picking 6 guys up from lying on the ground after the loss because he believes that is a loser mentality, an act of a loser and he believes we are not losers, we are winners, we are winners that lost a game of footy and that happens but stand tall and don’t show your opponent that you were beaten. I love this, he is a great coach.

Every final now is a knockout so we cannot let anything more slip. We need to start taking our chances in front of goal, fumble less and we need a few guys to step up and prove they are worthy of their spot, and we need to start next week against Freo. The season is still alive, and we can beat Freo at the MCG, we can beat Sydney at the SCG, and we can beat whoever stands in our way in the GF.

Great post MM. Like you, I believe that this loss will make us better, and we can win the flag.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:12 am

Monco Matt wrote:

great post thank you. let's keep believing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:17 am

really great post

now ive calmed down!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:56 am

We will smash the Dockers, beat Sydney and then maul the pussies in the Grannie, with Freddy Kreuger out for revenge.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:18 am

dp

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.

Last edited by Piesnchess on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:18 am

think positive wrote:
really great post

now ive calmed down!

A few too many Jimmy Beams helped me cope too. Laughing Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:32 am

simon tonna wrote:
We lost that game due to trying to win it by tackling our way to victory but umpires hardly call holding the ball these days or for incorrect disposal, not this year and never to us.
We really busted our guts tonight and couldn’t get it done. I just think it was a taxing game plan and tactically the balance of our pressure game was so far greater than our offensive game because of it.

I agree with this.
There was something slightly different about our game style today. We were less free wheeling and less inclined to take risks and take the game on, were more cautious and dour. That could well be due to wanting to apply pressure to the opposition whenever and wherever possible, with a more defensive mind set than usual.
That's a very understandable tack when playing the top team in a qualifying final, but it just didn't feel the same as the Collingwood team of the past few months, when we seemed to be playing with sheer joy . The body language was different. The backs weren't slapping each others hands after a good save, the goal kickers weren't being rushed and hugged by their team mates. Geez, even Ginni never smiled and Jamie looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders lining up for goal. In all respects, they seemed to go into their shells a bit.
All understandable again with it being such an important match. Still, I'd like to see them play with their usual verve and excitement next week. May as well have fun and enjoy it (as it could be the last game of the season 😉).

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Marvelos 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:40 am

We played well, end of the day we came up against a side who hasn’t been beaten since 38BC, and we were in it up to our eyeballs for the entire game, anyway I know one thing, reckon they’d rather avoid running into us again anytime soon.

We need a clean kill next week, if we play like we did tonight that won’t be a problem.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:50 am

Fly's presser

Is that a mixture of pride and disappointment?
Quote:
"Yeah, of course. You get to this close in a game where you have an opportunity, you're a kick away for getting yourself a week off and playing in a Prelim Final; they don't come along every day. Extremely proud of the effort, but we need to get ourselves sorted really quickly because we've got to get to work".

How do you sum it up? You've had a lot of practice of winning close games and now you've lost a close one, what's the emotion?
Quote:
"We want to act like winners. I must admit, the siren goes and there's half a dozen of our guys laying on the ground. For me, that's not a winner. That's acting like a loser. We lost the game, we're not losers. So I just made that point. We're here to win this thing; we'll give it everything we've got. You get to this time of the year, you want to give it your best shot. I thought we threw a lot of punches at them. There was a moment in a game, might have been a minute to go and scores were level; and the emergency umpire said 'if it's a draw, you guys can go on the field'. I communicated to the box [and asked] 'what do you want to do' because we moved to play a forward to try and win the game. Darcy Moore was in the forward line, we're playing a guy short down back and they manned it up anywhere so 'what do you want to do? We're going for the win, we're going for it'. We're not here to draw the game and go for extra time. Put the head in the pillow tonight; I'm not sure if that's the right decision to make but that's how we want to live ourselves. This game in particular, we didn't get the job done".

Your comment that 'we're not losers, we're winners'. Is that the message you relayed to the players post match?
Quote:
"Absolutely. We lost the game, but we're not losers. There is a difference. I said for the lifetime I'm sitting in this chair, maybe barring a Grand Final, if we don't win, don't lay on the ground".

Steele Sidebottom got around to the players at the end of the game. Is that an example of your message?
Quote:
"Yeah, great leadership. Steele had an enormous game. That's great leadership. Again, it's all a part of learning lessons isn't it. We're here, we're still alive to fight another battle and again I'm not sure who the opposition is but we've been learning some good lessons along the whole way".

Taylor Adams was enormous today and then went down. What's the diagnosis?
Quote:
"It looks like Tay's season is done. It looks like he might have torn the groin off the bone I think, that could be the early diagnosis. His season is over. I just grabbed him then, he had his moment of emotion and we'll just get around him and support the best we can".

What was the reason behind making Kreuger the medical sub?
Quote:
"I like Kreugs. He gives us a bit of energy. I thought he could give us something. He could play down back if we lost a key back. I thought he could go in the ruck if we needed that and up forward he's an energetic guy. I didn't think he was quite ready to play a full game based on his time out of the game. He took a mark as soon as he came onto the ground. I like what Kreugs brings to the table".

To perform like this in a big final against the minor premier, does it give the club even more belief than before?
Quote:
"We believe. I actually take satisfaction out of everyone doubting us. Everyone gave us massive odds again of winning the game tonight. Most people did [Geelong would win], but we didn't. We have great belief in what we're doing. Again, that's outcome stuff. The evidence that we present to our players, there's a lot of reasons as to why we're sitting here. There's a bounce of the ball this way, a set shot after the siren here and there; those things have got us to this path. There's a lot of stuff we've done behind the scenes that give us great belief that we belong in this position".

Is there anything you noticed in the dying moments that might have cost you the match?
Quote:
"You look at Geelong, they do it so well. They go through the corridor and start to get really aggressive in the 3rd quarter. We were able to stabilise that. I thought this game was all about the little moments. We can go through and analyse every single one of them and there's so many of them. We get 12 points up and there's a centre bounce, you lose an aerial contest and Rohan kicks the goal. All of a sudden, the game is back on. Those little moments, that's what big games are about; seizing those opportunities. Minute to go and the scores are level, and again we want to go out and win the game. We live by that".

Jordan De Goey went down the race at QT, and had his shoulder strapped up. What was the issue?
Quote:
"It looks like he has a bit of an AC issue. He played out the game. Doctors just said to me before that he looks like he's okay. It looks like one of those ones you assess during the week and look after these guys. Our pressure was enormous. Watching Sydney last night was a good role model for us about how to go about it in a big game. I thought we didn't get rewarded for our tackles; I don't know if it's something we'll look at and the AFL will look at that. I thought we had a lot of awesome tackles that didn't get rewarded. It's funny you run someone down from behind and you don't get rewarded, and then someone drags it in underneath you and it's holding the ball. That doesn't sit well with me".

Is it something that you will look at and talk to the AFL about?
Quote:
"I'm not here to change rules. We've got to play within the rules. They get some right and wrong. I've said that many times. Anyone watching at home thought we tackled really well I would have thought. I don't know what the free kicks were at the end. Potentially [speak to the AFL], we'll see what happens".

Jordan De Goey showed he was a big game player today?
Quote:
"Yeah, I said during the week that we're looking for 5% gains. He's that guy. There's not many guys in our team or many other teams that can turn it on when you need it and kick clutch goals and he did it again tonight. We continue to look for opportunities to put Jordy in positions where he can shine".

Is there a moment De Goey got frustrated with a few umpiring decisions, and you had to talk him through that?
Quote:
"No, I don't recall that. I thought we were really calm and measured for this occasion. I thought the playing group to their credit, we've got a lot of youth and I know Geelong has a mountain of experience and we have a lot of guys playing their first final. I thought we looked like we managed most of those moments well. The hustle and bustle of the game; you take a mark and maybe it's play on a few times we can get better for. On a whole, I thought the bench was really composed, I thought the coaching box was composed and I thought the players looked composed in the chaos for the most part".

Did you consider changing the match up with Gary Rohan at all?
Quote:
"He played well didn't he. I think that's a system thing for us. That centre bounce mark was a bit of brilliance. Sometimes you need a bit of brilliance and to go back and nail the shot. Credit to him, I think I remember him doing that down at GMHBA kicking a clutch goal. Cameron kicked some clutch goals. That's what people want to watch don't they".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1214324/post-match-craig-mcrae?videoId=1214324&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1662201603001&tagNames=news

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:30 am

Forget about umpires
Umpires don’t
Miss shots on goal
Miss tackles
Lose composure
Lose assignments
Kick the ball to opposition

That’s all on the players

We were our own worst enemies last night
It never should have been close if we had taken our chances
It never should have been close if our defence hadn’t pressed so high and hard up field letting there man out the back on 3 occasions

Murphy while gutsy loses his man so often it’s a joke
He is way to slow to give his man a inch yet he is constantly meters off him gazing up field and being exposed

Checkers had a night to forget he won’t be that bad again

JDG showed why we can’t let him go under any circumstances
We will miss Adams he is our barometer at the contest

Plenty to work on for next week now but we are still alive that’s the main thing
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:35 am

Seriously guys, we didn't do too much wrong last night. For all the criticism of our mistakes etc, it's worth remembering we were up against the clear best team in the comp. The truth is, they did not let us play our free flowing game, and we would not have expected them too either. For all that, however, we nearly got over the top of them.

Freo will not be a pushover next week. We will miss Adams for sure, and maybe (but hopefully not) Johnson. Nevertheless, if we bring the intensity we applied last night, we should beat the Dockers. Bring it on.

And by the way, some of my fellow Nicksters need to get up off the turf and stop acting like losers. Wink
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:28 am

Thought we were awesome. Onwards and upwards. One week at a time.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:09 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
We brought the Dogs into this finals series, and chances are they’re gonna take us out of it next week.

They lead Freo 42-2 half way through the second quarter in Perth.

You can’t make this shit up.

No, only you can Laughing

I'm not sure Collingwood is for you. Is there anything this club ever does that makes you happy? So much misery, why bother Shocked
Same goes to What'shisname

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22   

Jump to: