Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of "education" is that, if she genuinely didn't realise that some people would find it incredibly offensive, then she needed to learn that that was the case. Perhaps it would have been better if a friend had taken her aside in private rather than broadcast their disapproval over Twitter, but then she was the one who put the photo up on Twitter in the first place. If it hadn't been her teammate, it still would have been 1000 other people criticising her actions.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:11 pm

David wrote:
The point of "education" is that, if she genuinely didn't realise that some people would find it incredibly offensive, then she needed to learn that that was the case. Perhaps it would have been better if a friend had taken her aside in private rather than broadcast their disapproval over Twitter, but then she was the one who put the photo up on Twitter in the first place. If it hadn't been her teammate, it still would have been 1000 other people criticising her actions.

and another thousand saying

WHATS THE BIG DEAL!!

she meant no offense, where the **** does it end. she went as a rapper. more offensive thing by a long shot is dressing as kanye because he married a skank, and dissed tay-tay at some awards night! hes a fucxking tool,

re the education, how about you educate people that it was just a dress up party, a disguise, what if it was the CIA trying to get info on someone? where does it $$%^%%$ end? do frogs get offended by the hulk?

fact is you will always find someone whos offended by every little thing there is,

http://i.imgur.com/mHpTllQ.jpg

oh sorry the guy in the meme is BLACK!!

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm

I agree. There are a lot of white people asking "what's the big deal?".
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:45 pm

David wrote:

1 - It was on her private twitter page, was only made public by her teammate, yeah that same teammate who went to a music festival instead of a compulsory training camp then threatened legal action when left off the team. Rolling Eyes

2 - I find it sad that when someone does something like that without any racist intent at all (presumably), then the need to be "educated" with a big stick goes completely against the tolerant society I think we all covet.
Like I said in my previous post - it's ok for people not to draw a link between a modern day fancy dress costume and a historical systematic put-down of an entire colour of people.
To suggest the 2 things are the same is absolutely ridiculous in my mind. To point out the minor similarities is more realistic and relevant.
The link can be drawn, but it isn't as automatic as some would suggest. That's part of the reason for the vast difference of opinions on the subject.

Don't we want to be in the position where putting on brown face paint is considered the same as putting on white face paint, yellow face paint, pink face paint, etc.????

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:46 pm

David wrote:

There are a lot of black people asking the same thing, David.......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 pm

David wrote:

Your the one who keeps pointing out the differences as if we are not all one people, maybe it's you who is the racist

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Yes, that's right. The person saying "maybe doing blackface isn't a good idea because a lot of black people find it hurtful and offensive" is the racist.

TP and KM, we would all love to live in a society where nobody is vilified or discriminated against because of their skin colour. Until we do, you can't just wish race issues away.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:47 pm

OK, question.

Considering the history of blackface is really a USA thing, and as I said before I understand it, why would an Australian of dark hue, whatever their genetics, find it offensive when an Australian does it in apparent good faith?

Is it offence on behalf of African Americans?
Is it just offensive because we've been told it is so therefore it must be?
Is it a self identity thing that someone who has potentially copped racism because of their skin colour fells pissed off at a white person pretending to be black?
Combination of all or something else entirely?

Isn't it actually a sign of lack of racism, acceptance of skin colour as no more than an identifying feature such as hair colour, hair style, physique etc if it's done with intent to impersonate rather than to belittle?

If you were going to impersonate Dolly parton, you'd go for massive boobs and a blonde wig.

If you're going to impersonate Donald Trump you'd go the red wig and a suit.

In both those cases you may want to add some pancake makeup to lighten the skin tone to increase the resemblance if you aren't lilly white.

If you're going to impersonate Snoop Dog you'd go for black face, baseball cap and a massive clock on a chain around your neck.

In "White chicks" two African American males did make up and dress up as two white females. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381707/

Are people getting offended because of the historical context and because they're conditioned to react that way rather than stop and think about the situational context?

I'm not saying people shouldn't get offended and don't think others are actually saying it either, I'm just trying to clarify why and it's IMHO a legitimate question.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 pm

David wrote:
Yes, that's right. The person saying "maybe doing blackface isn't a good idea because a lot of black people find it hurtful and offensive" is the racist.

TP and KM, we would all love to live in a society where nobody is vilified or discriminated against because of their skin colour. Until we do, you can't just wish race issues away.

Similarly, we shouldn't make things that aren't a race issue a race issue!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:42 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:

Similarly, we shouldn't make things that aren't a race issue a race issue!

Yep and I'm bloody sick of that accusation getting chucked around! It's bullshit. Stop looking for shit to get offended over

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
OK, question.

Considering the history of blackface is really a USA thing, and as I said before I understand it, why would an Australian of dark hue, whatever their genetics, find it offensive when an Australian does it in apparent good faith?

Is it offence on behalf of African Americans?
Is it just offensive because we've been told it is so therefore it must be?
Is it a self identity thing that someone who has potentially copped racism because of their skin colour fells pissed off at a white person pretending to be black?
Combination of all or something else entirely?

Isn't it actually a sign of lack of racism, acceptance of skin colour as no more than an identifying feature such as hair colour, hair style, physique etc if it's done with intent to impersonate rather than to belittle?

If you were going to impersonate Dolly parton, you'd go for massive boobs and a blonde wig.

If you're going to impersonate Donald Trump you'd go the red wig and a suit.

In both those cases you may want to add some pancake makeup to lighten the skin tone to increase the resemblance if you aren't lilly white.

If you're going to impersonate Snoop Dog you'd go for black face, baseball cap and a massive clock on a chain around your neck.

In "White chicks" two African American males did make up and dress up as two white females. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381707/

Are people getting offended because of the historical context and because they're conditioned to react that way rather than stop and think about the situational context?

I'm not saying people shouldn't get offended and don't think others are actually saying it either, I'm just trying to clarify why and it's IMHO a legitimate question.

It seems to be trendy to get offended

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:51 pm

^

It's very trendy to be offended, which has the unfortunate effect of cloaking real offence in the smoke and putting it at risk of not being counted as genuine.

All the massive amount of faux offence does is screw things up.

I'm not saying this issue is bringing forth just faux offence (although I'm sure there is an element of that) I'm just trying to figure out where the real offence stems from.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Last week while lining up to collect the take away coffee to bring into the cinema at ACMI (there was plenty of room between me & the bar) some unknown male, a random bloke smaller than me, mutters under his breath as he walked past, between me & other customers waiting for their coffee: "F*ck off grandad"

I was gobsmacked. Never met this fella, just copped some random abuse. So I followed him before he could get out I asked in disbelief "Do I know you" ( I wish I'd said "Are you talkin' to me?") - he restated "F*ck off" again.

I followed him to his table sitting opposite another bloke outside the cafe in Fed Square.

I remembered violence & aggression are not satisfactory means to settle an argument or being abused. I reached over as he was cowering in his seat looking for water to pour over him rather than give him a clip ( I can be an imposing figure) - he cowered some more & I can't recall exactly what I said but his mate said apologize which he did. I suggested he needed urgent psychiatric assistance or words to that effect then went back & went to the fillum.

I also recall my brother on lunch duty giving a kid detention some years at school when he was verbally abused by some delinquent year niner saying "you fat old cnut".

My brother replied : "right you've got detention. No one calls me old"

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:04 pm

If he has a vendetta against older people, he certainly went to the wrong place. I would have thought he'd be happy to see someone else under 60. Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Last week while lining up to collect the take away coffee to bring into the cinema at ACMI (there was plenty of room between me & the bar) some unknown male, a random bloke smaller than me, mutters under his breath as he walked past, between me & other customers waiting for their coffee: "F*ck off grandad"

I was gobsmacked. Never met this fella, just copped some random abuse. So I followed him before he could get out I asked in disbelief "Do I know you" ( I wish I'd said "Are you talkin' to me?") - he restated "F*ck off" again.

I followed him to his table sitting opposite another bloke outside the cafe in Fed Square.

I remembered violence & aggression are not satisfactory means to settle an argument or being abused. I reached over as he was cowering in his seat looking for water to pour over him rather than give him a clip ( I can be an imposing figure) - he cowered some more & I can't recall exactly what I said but his mate said apologize which he did. I suggested he needed urgent psychiatric assistance or words to that effect then went back & went to the fillum.

I also recall my brother on lunch duty giving a kid detention some years at school when he was verbally abused by some delinquent year niner saying "you fat old cnut".

My brother replied : "right you've got detention. No one calls me old"

What got you so wound up? The random far coff or being called Grandad?

I probably would have just responded to the first one by saying "go %$^$%^&%% yourself, dicknose" and then ignored him.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 168 of 277   

Jump to: