Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#9 John Noble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
If football was assessed on outside run and no pressure, he is a lock. But today again in critical one on ones, kicks across goal and defensive actions ( except for Ponsford) he was flawed

Yes he made that one error in the third term, kicking across goal, which conceded a gift to the dopers. However, at the very next centre clearance, he flushed one down Jack G's throat, who converted.
So he made amends for his stuff up almost immediately, and that's all you can really do in football?

Haters wont have noticed his elite disposal (including the obvious one you mention literally 20 seconds after his one mistake of the day). Even Collingwood hating commentators noted that some of his centering disposal was elite and only possible if you are a precise disposer of the ball.

Haters only notice his mistakes. Sidebottom made several gaffs today by foot. Nick Daicos made several mistakes by foot today as well. It was that kind of game.

Its sad when you see that the biggest haters claim to be Collingwood supporters, but there you go. some enjoy eating their own......

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:54 pm

Jeez Noble cops it.

Probably just needs to run into the 50 and snag one on occasion to please some.

What I see is generally clean ball user, who always presents, prepared to defend a loose ball and gains yards

I'm always happy to see him sweep up loose balls around contests.

No doubt Nick Daicos is an exception and is better, and from I see lately, Cooper Murley is someone who can be the small with the lot.

Just to banter,
I loved Ginnivan early... nothing Robot about him. And I'm seeing Henry, Puolter, Murley, MacRae
Then there''s others too... so many.

Harrison ran out of square today... with breathtaking speed as I've ever seen.

Back to Noble - Yes, on paper there is better. But on the ground, he is better than anyone.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:33 am

I agree with all of that. i have been so heartened by the members of this board who have stood up for Noble. Seems like there are other astute observers out there. People adapt and can improve on early career weaknesses.

Anyone see Taylor Adams nut one from 50 metres to seal the game in the fourth? no way he could have done that when he first got to Collingwood. By the way, that also made up for a kicking error he made earlier in the game when he kicked into the man on the mark from inside scoring distance trying to get the ball to McInnes.

Finally, i know he is young, but McInnes seems to be the only one who hasn't got the memo that we are to be the more desperate team at all times..... hopefully there will be a learning curve for him on that score as he gets stronger.....

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 am

inxs88 wrote:
piedys wrote:
Is he in the best 22 for talent? No. Super-skilled he ain't.
Is he in the best 22 for effort? Yes; he busts his arse each week, unlike some WAY overpaid, down-hill skiers getting games on reputation, and deeds from 2018/2019.

If football was assessed on outside run and no pressure, he is a lock. But today again in critical one on ones, kicks across goal and defensive actions ( except for Ponsford) he was flawed

I think JC Hartley summed it up best in another post, so rather than paraphrase him, let me just quote him.

John Noble (23 disposals @ 83%, 470 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 7 handballs, 8 marks, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) provided great run and carry from defence where he took marks and hit most of his targets with a high level of accuracy. Noble would know to not attempt a short kick into the corridor if a teammate is not there to mark it. Other than that moment of madness in the third term, Noble applied himself brilliantly.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:46 am

Yep only 3 contested possessions. This is his gross shortcoming. He is excellent on the spread and when no body contact is applied. Finals footy though is a different standard. Hope he can bridge this gap.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Yep only 3 contested possessions. This is his gross shortcoming. He is excellent on the spread and when no body contact is applied. Finals footy though is a different standard. Hope he can bridge this gap.

<snip> the guy is as tough as nails and is always in the thick of it to do his job of wither clearing the ball through support of teammates, or by pressuring the ball carrier (which doesnt get a stat.

His role is similar to Isaac Quaynor's role wouldn't you agree. I guess Quaynor is also needs to bridge the gap. Actually the two Daicos boys have similar numbers in similar roles. <snip – give it a rest please. Thanks, David for BBMods.>

Isaac Quaynor (13 disposals @ 85%, 288 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal)

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:30 pm

This, not every player needs to get a heap of contested possessions. I honestly think that some people watch the games and don’t actually know what they are looking at.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 am

schuey07 wrote:
This, not every player needs to get a heap of contested possessions. I honestly think that some people watch the games and don’t actually know what they are looking at.

i just think some people like to sound really smart and then wont simply admit when they are wrong. we can call them Fonzie fans!

It happens with respect to all players who meet one of the following three criteria

1. highly paid for never being good enough to justify their salary (even when they are one of the stars of the comp and if it was $100k less, no one would care!) - Grundy, Cloke, the list is endless.

2. highly skilled for not trying hard enough - DeGoey

3. hard working gritty types for not being skilled enough despite generally performing their role admirably - Noble (the new Blair), Magden,

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:30 am

i think we might have voted Noble best on ground this week!!!!

So much for "make or break season"?

What a masterstroke by the pies to give him a two year contract extension. his confidence has flourished and now he looks like he belongs every bit as much as IQ, Nick Daicos and Maynard back there.

Congrats to those who saw this in him and those who have come to realize.

And shame on those who still dig the boots in.

Go find another lackie to crucify (like one of our greatest ruckman of all time)!

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:07 pm

His game against the Suns really stood out, provided fantastic run out of the D50

Sidebottom another whipping boy who provided invaluable linkups and smarts

E 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:30 am

Noble in the votes again. Some have questioned his ability to get contested ball. Seriously?

Anyone see him run back with the flight of the ball with Lynch bearing down on him. ran back unflinchingly and took a courageous mark.

Some wondered if this was a make or break year for him. I was mocked for suggesting he was best 22. i think i was told that even suggesting this would go down in Nicks folklore.

Given his recent form, is it time to ask the question - is Noble one of the top 10 players on our team?

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:40 am

E wrote:
I was mocked for suggesting he was best 22

You were also mocked for saying you made the entire salary cap in a year, so…

E 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:42 am

yeah, i admit that it was a bit arrogant to say it out loud! to be clear though, i did say only the Collingwood salary cap and not the entire league.....
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:33 am

E wrote:
Noble in the votes again. Some have questioned his ability to get contested ball. Seriously?

Anyone see him run back with the flight of the ball with Lynch bearing down on him. ran back unflinchingly and took a courageous mark.

Some wondered if this was a make or break year for him. I was mocked for suggesting he was best 22. i think i was told that even suggesting this would go down in Nicks folklore.

Given his recent form, is it time to ask the question - is Noble one of the top 10 players on our team?

+ 1 - He's been comfortably in the best 22 for a long time. A real find and great skills. I'd be happy to see him get some midfield time.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:24 pm

E wrote:
yeah, i admit that it was a bit arrogant to say it.

More than a bit. Not to mention irrelevant

But that’s who you are

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 18 of 28   

Jump to: