Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Presti.

There will always be those sliding doors moments in draft trading. It’s what keeps us all going in the off season.
I can’t help but think the Gibbs trade to the Crows became a bit of an unfortunate benchmark for the Beams trade. Everyone but the Crows knew they paid overs for an ageing ( albeit quality ) outside midfielder and I think that raised the bar in trading for Beams 12 months later.
The other variable that seems to be changing, is that draft picks seem to be worth “ more “ in recent years. You can swap them, you can trade them in or out on draft night and of course you can continue to acquire players with them. For mine, I feel like we traded away our early picks for Beams right at the time when those ( early ) picks offered more options than previous years.

We can only hope there is still a positive twist in the Beams trade.
Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Where’s the proof of his (debilitating) “mental illness”?
If he had a (debilitating) physical injury it would / could / would be easily validated. IMO his situation smells and suggests a club coverup.
I’ve heard the bikie debt story and those involved from many sources.
And I wonder if it predated his recent recruitment.
I have zero sympathy for him.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:05 am

matrix10 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I am truly sickened by some of the comments posted here
Firstly most on here have zilch idea of actually what is going on behind the scenes with Dayne and the club and his recovery
For some to suggest the club hadn't done it's due diligence when signing Dayne give our club zero credit
Dayne's issues were very well known to the club and the public. He had come out and stated them publicly 18 months prior and had been dealing with them ever since
The club knew exactly what it was getting and had a plan in place to deal with it.
Now the plan might not have worked as we had hoped but don't think for a minute this wasn't given consideration when we made the trade
Secondly again those posters on here concerned about the cost to the club again don't know the actual terms of his trade. The Lions paid a considerable chunk of his remaining contract (2 years) and the club extended his deal to spread the remaining contract over a longer period (less money each year longer term equates to same earnings for the player similar to what they did with Sidey when Dayne came back)
Thirdly a club can't just medically retire a player at a whim. There is protocols in place including the player wanting to retire and the AFL approving it after several exhaustive requirements are met. It would be simple if a club had a player who they no longer wanted and said hey we will give you a new 3 year deal them tell the AFL your wanting medical retirement you get your money still and we free a list spot so we all win
It doesn't happen like that. If it did Langdon would be off our list now as the club considered that approach but the player didn't want to retire which is his right
Lastly everyone thinks this decision was made by Dayne and Dayne alone
Has anyone actually thought this might have been a decision made by the clubs doctors and Dayne's doctors for a specific reason ??
Until people know the actual facts they should keep there personal judgements to themselves
Question the trade at face value is fine and question the value of the trade in terms of draft picks not a issue.
We all handle challenges in life differently and to judge a person based on how you believe you would handle the same situation isn't right
For those who have expressed him good wishes and a speedy recovery I thank you
For the others I hope you never have to live with the level of grief Dayne is dealing with because you may not be as strong in person as you are behind your keyboards
Rant over

QLDmagpie67- I know you are close with the Beams family and hopefully you can help shed some clarity on many rumours that have been swirling- this will likely put a stop to much of the negative discussion around Dayne's situation.

*Did/does he have significant gambling debts and is basically broke?

*Has hid relationship with former best mate Steele fallen apart? If it has, why?

I think most are just angry and upset that clearly there is something more going on than Dayen and the club are telling us- what that actually is, I have no idea- yet these rumours keep persisting.

Hope you can help clear things up

Matrix
I get where you are coming from mate
Firstly if there was a million dollar gambling debt it would be front page of the Sun so they could lambaste Collingwood
I know Dayne likes a punt and I have had a bet in the TAB with him at times (I like a punt too) but I have never seen him gamble amounts that would add up to millions
As for the Sidey issue I doubt this would be accurate as a couple weeks ago I spoke to Dayne (around the same time he returned to training) and he was meeting Sidey and a couple other players after training for a meal and catch up
Im sure in a footy environment players can have disagreements at times so maybe they had one of those at some stage
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 am

^ ^ ^ Qldmagpie

Although this is about Beams well-being, I fully understand it can be a tough gig being a personal friend of an AFL footballer when they’re making the papers for the “ wrong “ reasons. There is always that fine balance between defending your mate ( if it warrants defending ) and keeping his trust because you can be privy to sensitive info.
I’ve been through that stuff with Nathan Freeman on here and elsewhere and some of the misinformation that gets thrown around recklessly is beyond laughable. It’s such a different world these days, particularly for players participating in elite sport.

Sadly, we live in a world where too many people feel the need to have an opinion and that opinion can easily be shared on social media.
As I say to my kids “ sometimes the smartest people are the ones who keep their opinions to themselves “ but that’s just my opinion 😉
The Drooge 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am

Step one: Hope the lad regains enough strength and joy to live well.

Step two: Hope the lad can get back in the BnW.

Step three: Watch the lad lift a cup.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Kill for Collingwood wrote:
Where’s the proof of his (debilitating) “mental illness”?
If he had a (debilitating) physical injury it would / could / would be easily validated. IMO his situation smells and suggests a club coverup.
I’ve heard the bikie debt story and those involved from many sources.
And I wonder if it predated his recent recruitment.
I have zero sympathy for him.

So when it comes to mental illness you want "proof" or it's a coverup. But for massive gambling debts, you're happy with unsubstantiated rumours from dubious sources and retract all sympathy on that basis

Let’s flip your statement: Where’s the proof of his (massive) "gambling debt"? I’ve heard the mental health story from many sources. IMO this situation smells and suggests a social media beatup

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
matrix10 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 am

Cheers QLDmagpie67- appreciate your response.
I'm happy to take your word and wish Dayne all the best.
To lose your dad added to having a second kid and a wife without her family to support (initially in Brisbane) would be bloody tough.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:10 pm

I’ve heard the bikie debt story and those involved from many sources..

I've also heard that one attributed to Bryce Gibbs, so dunno.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:51 am

What'sinaname wrote:
think positive wrote:
E wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Beams is doing Art Therapy, making his own pieces of art and started a business to sell them with a % of takings going to a mental health charity.

I'm wondering at what point, if any, his pay gets reduced.

AFL isn't like the real world. In the real world you get sick leave, if it runs out you don't get paid. If you have a work related condition/injury you can go Workcover. These don't apply to AFL footballers.

To be clear, I'm not saying we should cut his pay, just interested in how long someone can draw a salary while on sick leave. I assume if it looks like he's not coming back we have to negotiate a severance deal.

I think the contracts are guaranteed in the event of injury and mental health is considered an injury (as it should). There is insurance clubs could buy but not sure AFL clubs are doing that (as the sums involved aren't that much).

But as an aside, other than for purposes of getting salary cap relief (which i get is something for us to care about as it relates to our ability to recruit and retain players), why on earth does anyone care whether Beams is being paid and how much and by whom?

why should he be treated any differently because he is a footballer? what Stui says is correct. Football, and more specifically, collingwood didnt create his mental illness, and even if it did, thats what workcover or some kind of centrelink payment is for. your average citizen has to make it work. Collingwood would have been, and still would be providing the best mental health care money can buy and that should be enough. i really hope his contract is performance based. We need the cap space, and hes not on a small salary, and hes not earning it. if anything he should be on long term something or other.

That's right.

No disrespect to Dayne, but if he's not right, then he should retire or we should have a way to delist him more him to LTI list. He occupies a spot on a very short list..and sadly, we'll lose a dozen or so players to injury in 2020, so it makes these spots even more valuable.

the reason is pretty simple. Careers are short and contract restrain trade. in exchange for not being able to quit with 2 weeks notice, you get certainty of salary during the restraint period. Not rocket science boys!

He should not retire and he shouldnt give up his contract. he earned the contract, he is entitled to be paid the contract. If the magpies were worried about the amount (which they arent), they could have insured for it.

if he was healthy and could play but he didint, then that would be different.

of course, Collingwood could always put him on LTI. That is their decision.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:37 am

Cam wrote:

And I heard about the rock star who was rushed to an emergency room after collapsing on stage to have their stomach pumped

Also recall another one involving a Galliano bottle

Either post a source (no, Big Footy or “a friend of my cousin’s hairdresser who once gave a perm to the wife of someone at the club” doesn’t count) or STFU

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Cam wrote:

And I heard about the rock star who was rushed to an emergency room after collapsing on stage to have their stomach pumped

Also recall another one involving a Galliano bottle

Either post a source (no, Big Footy or “a friend of my cousin’s hairdresser who once gave a perm to the wife of someone at the club” doesn’t count) or STFU

Merry Christmas to you too, mate.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Goodness, an unattributed rumour on the interwebs...

It’s Christmas after all - something like “without a source I have difficulty giving your post much credence” is too difficult to type?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Was directed more at KFC rather than Cam

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
It’s Christmas after all - something like “without a source I have difficulty giving your post much credence” is too difficult to type?

But rumourmongers with zero sympathy can post whatever they want

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:13 am

Within reason, within the Rules and within the law, pretty much...

But that won’t stop the mods pointing out undue agression.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:43 pm

In future I'll stick to spreading defamatory rumours. accusing the club of a coverup and saying I have zero sympathy for people suffering from depression then

Did a search for 'STFU' and found 735 matches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 171 of 188   

Jump to: