Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

glasseyevfx wrote:
who would come in for Beams? There's been gems there before.

Daniel Wells. Smile

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am

watt price tully wrote:
What is the collective noun for a group of mods?

A ban of mods

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Lol!!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Or maybe a killjoy of mods?
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:08 pm

robevpau1 wrote:
Despite having three years to run on a four-year deal worth about $2 million, all parties are resigned to the fact Beams’ 177-game career is over. Collingwood and Dayne Beams’ management will now work towards reaching a settlement in relation to the estimated $1.5 million remaining on his contract.(Herald Sun) - Sam Edmund and Michael Warner.

P. Ryan, The Age, disagrees:

Collingwood supporting Beams, and put footy to the side

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-supporting-beams-and-put-footy-to-the-side-20200215-p54140.html

"Collingwood have no intention of entering discussions with sidelined midfielder Dayne Beams about his contract following his car accident in Donvale on Thursday.

Sources at the Magpies told The Age on Saturday that football-related discussions were not a priority for Collingwood officials in relation to Beams..."
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 pm

I feel sorry for Dayne Beams losing his father to cancer and the dreaded mental health issues. I have been through the same things in recent years.

However, I dont expect the club has to pay out his remaining contract if the mooted $2mil over 4 years was given is correct.

My employer wouldn't be expected to pay me out for remaining years, if I had to leave due to mental health issues.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:14 pm

K wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:
Despite having three years to run on a four-year deal worth about $2 million, all parties are resigned to the fact Beams’ 177-game career is over. Collingwood and Dayne Beams’ management will now work towards reaching a settlement in relation to the estimated $1.5 million remaining on his contract.(Herald Sun) - Sam Edmund and Michael Warner.

P. Ryan, The Age, disagrees:

Collingwood supporting Beams, and put footy to the side

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-supporting-beams-and-put-footy-to-the-side-20200215-p54140.html

"Collingwood have no intention of entering discussions with sidelined midfielder Dayne Beams about his contract following his car accident in Donvale on Thursday.

Sources at the Magpies told The Age on Saturday that football-related discussions were not a priority for Collingwood officials in relation to Beams..."

possibly quashed 'retirement' settlement in response to yesterday's events/advice from PR.

I wish Dayne all the best and feel for his poor wife and kids.

Not really sure of best approach- cut him from club or bring him in closer?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:32 pm

When they talk about a payout I believe they mean a negotiated settlement, which won’t be the full reported $1.5m. A severance package if you will
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
What is the collective noun for a group of mods?

A ban of mods

Laughing

Then again it could be a “misery” of posters (especially when we lose)

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm

The Beams trade and the Grundy cash will put a full stop on our flag chances for a while. You can't sink two 1st round draft picks into nothing and $1m per season on a ruckman who cannot actually ruck but is basically a big midfielder and expect to win flags...it just doesn't happen. Again, we do this to ourselves.

MONCO: Your life.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:10 pm

SteveH67 wrote:
I feel sorry for Dayne Beams losing his father to cancer and the dreaded mental health issues. I have been through the same things in recent years.

However, I dont expect the club has to pay out his remaining contract if the mooted $2mil over 4 years was given is correct.
My employer wouldn't be expected to pay me out for remaining years, if I had to leave due to mental health issues.

All of us at some point of time are broken as human beings. We just have to recover and move on with our lives. There's no other way. Hopefully Beams can recover from this and move on with his life and have a meaningful life again, whether that's as a footballer or in some other endeavor. We all wish him well.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Beams has just had rotten bad luck, he will come good, he owes the club, I don't think hes a quitter, he can turn this all around.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:50 am

People seem to not understand the exact nature of the trade
Dayne’s deal with the lions was far more lucrative than the one he signed with us
We gave up 2 x 1st round picks for a reason
The lions paid a decent chunk of his salary for the first 2 years (around $450k a season)
So basically he’s on 4 years $1.1 million on our books about $275k a year which for what was a top 10-20 player in the league was massive unders
The lions wanted draft picks for Neale trade and they had cap room with many young players in early low contracts
As for the crash I haven’t spoken to Dayne but did speak to Claye and he said Dayne was fine but embarrassed over it
Claye believed Dayne will play football again and hopefully that’s at afl level with us
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:32 am

Thanks qld. There are some pretty bad rumours floating around re the crash so the above is somewhat reassuring.
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 am

Thanks qldmagpie. I have taken more notice of your past posts on DB, as you clearly have more knowledge than others. I’m glad he is safe and am relieved that you say it was purely an accident.

One thing that annoys me about us getting him back, is the simplicity with which it is reported that he cost us 2 first round draft picks. Going by the number value of draft picks, this simply isn’t true, because these comments don’t take into account the picks we received in return. Here is how the maths worked:

1. Picks out = 18, 56 and our 2019 pick (15). Total points were 1201 + 407 + 1323 = 2931

2. Picks in = 41, 44. Total points were 631 + 581 = 1212

3. Net points cost = 2931 - 1212 = 1719. This equals ONE pick 8 or 9 in a draft.

Therefore, Dayne cost us the equivalent of a pick 8, or looking it differently, our pick 15 in 2019 (1323 points) and just over a pick 57 (394 points).

This is how we should be assessing the trade, not 2 first rounders.

I personally thought at the time this was still paying a little bit overs, but if we consider we got an extra class player in a genuine premiership window, he is partially paid by Brisbane when our cap is under pressure, plus we still got our targets in Quaynor and Kelly using the points we got back, then this was not the panic sale that the media likes to promote.

Mental health issues aside (we are too far away to speculate, nor should we make public comments on such a personal issue), our recruiters knew what they were giving up for him. To me, it was a considered decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 180 of 188   

Jump to: