Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

REVIVED THREAD: Olympic Park - The President's response

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Grandfinal......not all Collingwood fans whether members or not, will have the chance to see our team in a grandfinal.....We must have millions of supporters around the world.

But just imagine, those who miss out on tickets, get the chance to go to Olympic Park and watch the Grandfinal on A big screen [or three] surrounded by Collingwood fans. The Atmosphere would be electric, and the next best thing to being there.

I for one have to be in Melbourne whether I have tickets for the grand final or not, and look forward to being at Olympic Park.

RitchieColeRocks Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:49 pm
Post subject: ..Reply with quote

I wish I could feel the same anticipation of being able to go Olympic Park.
I guess going to Vic Park last year just didn't fill the hole in my heart where the desire to be at the Grand Final had been.
It was ok, but there wasn't really an atmosphere, and cheering seemed so pointless.

I know that people that have the good memberships get the first prefrence, it's just upsetting because it proves again, money comes first in EVERYTHING.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:27 pm

for a start i will say that was an awesome well thought out post rowdy! and yes, very valid.
i couldnt get a ticket to the grand final last year, but like someone else said in this thread, one of my friends and his friends went and they didnt even barrack for either side. the fact that there seems to be so many free tickets around (corporate) if youve got the right friends you will get in.

i cant afford to pay the scalper prices, nor can i afford social club membership for GF tix.

i know i wont get into the GF if we get into it this year, so ive got a plane ticket to cairns instead! ill go up there and watch it on tv. which is what i'll be doing if i was in melbourne anyway!
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:34 pm

oh and BTW in case anyone detects irony that i cant afford SC membership but i can afford 2 piss off 2 cairns well im going up there with my family bcos some of my mums rellos are coming out from the UK.
joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:34 pm

Actually tess a couple of days after the interview with ed we started a topic about olympic park but no one gave a shit i think the topic got 4 replies..i think at the time some bitch fight was occuring on nicks and people were a bit more intersted in that rather than talk about olympic park.

Sorry tess i didnt really think i was obliged to reply to many of your typically negative topics
cheers
joffa

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
beheard 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:20 am
Post subject: Olympic ParkReply with quote

Great involvement, Ed. But you didn't start this thread to talk about the size of the new rock star bar, so down to business.

There has been a consistent media stream along the lines of the club moving outside traditional activities at OP. An entertainment company no less.

The job descriptions for the new executives at OP clearly outline a future relying on non core activities. Concerts, events and seminars seem to be the main thrust. Keeping in mind the dangers of moving outside football, I am not against the move to OP per se. But these are some of my concerns.

1. On what basis was it decided that the most popular football club in Melbourne needed to move into non football business?

2. What were the feasibility studies in regard to the success of yet another entertainment complex along the Yarra? One without gambling in particular.

3. What are the ballpark figures for reliance on non football activity?

4. Was there any consideration of the potential duplication of facilities at OP and the match day social club in the new Southern Stand?

5. What is the maximum downside of an unsuccessful tenancy? [ I realize some commercial sensitivities may need to be protected].

There are a few other little things but you get the drift.

Kindest regards.

An interested party.
Rosewall Woman 1 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:47 am
Post subject: Disabled facilities?Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Wonder if you can give me some info on wheelchair and the like facilities at OP and also in new stand at MCG.

I'm sure they'll be great but would like to give the Wheelies some specifics. Especially about wheelchair vantage points at the game.

Whilst I'm on the subject, what will the deal be for wheelchair access at finals games as most of their current areas seemed to be given over to standing room last year I think

Much appreciated
RW1
Joe 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:53 am

No matter how good it is,it wont be the same as Viccki Park.
Nevertheless Viccki Park has outlived its time.
It is amazing that Optus Oval continues,full credit to Carrrrrrrlton.
Whatever the facilities may be,we may lose a little bit of heritage but they will be a great advantage to the club.
Sooner or later this had to occur.
Piepark 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:58 am
Post subject: Eddie and Tickets and Olympic ParkReply with quote

I must say in relation to the Grand Final Tickets allocation, I don't reckon any club did more for the supporters than Collingwood last year for the tickets allocation. Handing out and co-ordinating numbered line tickets, assisting people with queries and information was second to none. Yes, there is never enough tickets to go around, yes the ground can only only hold a certain percentage of people and yes, some of the people don't give a crap who wins or loses. But there is an organisation called the AFL which bases it treatment of supporters on how much money it can take out of them, not how they are treated with regards to fairness, assistance etc. and how many tickets each club gets and why they get it. We can't blame Eddie or the club for ticket allocation. There are some things we can control and do for our supporters, like free footballs, t-shirts, all the little things that other clubs don't do. Nothings perfect in the AFL business but I think its fair to say Collingwood try their best and will always attempt to get a fairer deal for the members / supporters. Go Pies
Bones 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:33 am

I see no one has read yesterdays Sun...

DEALS DONE ON GF TICKETS

St Kilda is leading the way in selling precious GF tickets on the corporate market.
Followed closely by Collingwood.
It is illegal to sell tickets above their face value, BUT they include them in special packages and get away with it that way. Event organisers, travel companies and sponsors eat up the 1500 each club is allocated.

I challenge each club to hand over a minimum of 500 of their allocation to participating clubs, that includes the 2 clubs themselves. 8000 more supporter bums on seats. NO it is not enough and I doubt it would happen.
Will Ed had over 500 to the 2 GF teams this year? Come on Ed make Collingwood proud, hand them over. Start a trend, please.
Slayer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:21 pm

Appropriate questions beheard ?

one wonders.

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:58 pm

No, i never saw that bones, but that helps to confirm what i believed was happening.

Its not right when 21,000 sponsors and corporates who barrack for St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Hawthorn etc, or worse still dont even follow football, can go to a Collingwood V Lions grandfinal when Collingwood and Brisbane's own members cant.

Sure, I'm all for giving the "event organisers, travel companies and sponsors" tickets when your club makes it, but where is the fairness in giving this group of people and organisations tickets when the club they are associated with isnt even playing while at the same time deserving members who's club is playing misses out?

The AFL need to change their rule to make it not only illegal for clubs to sell tickets at inflated prices, but to make it illegal to sell tickets full stop to these outside sources, since obviously clubs continue to push the boundaries too far.

Yes, money is an extremely important part of any club, but is it important enough that it cant be raised in other ways rather than short changing the people upon which the club is based around?

Piepark i agree with what you say in all regards about the coordination and distribution of those tickets that have been specifically allocated to members and also that the club tries to get a fair deal for their members where possible most of the time. I certainly dont single out Eddie or Collingwood as not trying to get a fair deal for us, they have been great and you only need to look at the proposed plans for our supporters at the MCG and Olympic Park. However i think all clubs collectively need to look at this particular issue and so do the afl. Its not simply the fault of the AFL, yes they should shoulder responsibilty, but the clubs definately need to as well. When i read articles in the paper such as that which bones pointed out, it is infuriating.
magpie24 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:35 pm

One question Ed
Is tazzas mark taken last week going to be available framed and signed in the near future,i really really need this one up on my wall!!

PS Love your work!
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:49 pm

Well I'm all for the move to Olympic Park. As a country person getting to Vic Park after a game is a pain so to be able to leave the car at the G and walk over to OP will be great.

I have a question about our social club at the G. Correct me if I'm wrong but we will have 16,000 seats in the new stand for social club members. I thought we had more than 16,000 social club members already, where will the rest sit?

kaz7 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:10 pm
Post subject: Cheer Squad MembershipsReply with quote

Hey Ed
Keep up the good work - our rise under you has been amazing - keep the passion going for us all!! Am concerned at the limitations on the cheer squad numbers. I know we are limited by afl restrictions. I missed out this year, but a friend of mine as well as my 2 kids would love to join next year. I understand that all existing members will be given first option. Where does that leave the rest of us?? Any chance of a waiting list? I believe that kids are a real priority for the cheer squad these days so hope you can shed some light on this.
Keep flying the flag!
Go the mighty pies!
Kaz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: