Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aussie home prices world's most-overpriced

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Yes they stand out think positive; I have had a change of owners across the road. They still think they are living in downtown Mumbai. The place was beautiful as are all the houses around it. It’s an eyesore now and I hope it catches fire and burns down as it would be a better sight.

ffs not even worth a reply, over and out.

actually it is worth a reply,

we have one like this across the street! they park a little truck there, there must be a million people living there - i was cleaning windows upstairs a while back, and the council must have been on the warpath - across the street, corner house, 10am out comes the mower, okay, not gunna work, slashes it first with an whipper snipper, then mows it, wow, hes got a little garden under the window, who knew!! (aussie owner, was rented to lovely neat people, now occupied by owner) next door, 10.10am out comes the mower, this ones a rental, they have a little baby so some excuse, wasnt that bad, didnt take long to fix, next door to that, no idea if they own it, these guys came out next, moved the truck up the road, and 10 indians spent literally hours ripping weeds out from where the truck sits on the nature strip,
plus they had to do the front (yard,lawn, god know what to call it) move what quite frankly should not be called a car, theres no way its roadworthy, do under that, then top it all off by piling rubbish out the front!

i gotta tell ya, it shites me to tears!! i wish they would bloody move, in the whole estate, theres nothing like it, even the guy with the plastic trees is neat!! the place we live is is beautiful, cant they see the difference? bloody lazy no good pigs!

how hard is it to mow once a week??

if they want to live in a grotto let em, but dont bring it here!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:28 pm

annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Barking up the wrong tree here, I have lived in a Ministry House and area and seen what transpires first hand. I crawled out of the gutter and have no wish to go back there.

For some its a place that they can't move out of. They have needs. I am sure there are loads of people who have the need to rely on DHS for whatever reason. Health, Age, Unemployment, high rental costs etc. For you there is a stigma attached, but for me, I see it as essential that we support people who have a need. We are all humans and I do not base my opinions on someone just because they might live in government housing.

You have missed my point completely. I have stated that they are now intergrating housing so there is no longer the stigma attached to it.

i dont have a problem with hard working single mUms, etc, who are in need, i just dont want low grade, low cost housing around me becuase it seems to attract grotty people who cant keep the place tidy! and i dont want crims in my street either - maybe you do??

Peter Griffin 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:13 pm

annewilo wrote:

Room for a pony et al!

Laughing That made me laugh! Is that from Keeping Up Appearances? I love that show..

annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:25 pm

think positive wrote:
annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Yes they stand out think positive; I have had a change of owners across the road. They still think they are living in downtown Mumbai. The place was beautiful as are all the houses around it. It’s an eyesore now and I hope it catches fire and burns down as it would be a better sight.

we have one like this across the street! they park a little truck there, there must be a million people living there - i was cleaning windows upstairs a while back, and the council must have been on the warpath - across the street, corner house, 10am out comes the mower, okay, not gunna work, slashes it first with an whipper snipper, then mows it, wow, hes got a little garden under the window, who knew!! (aussie owner, was rented to lovely neat people, now occupied by owner) next door, 10.10am out comes the mower, this ones a rental, they have a little baby so some excuse, wasnt that bad, didnt take long to fix, next door to that, no idea if they own it, these guys came out next, moved the truck up the road, and 10 indians spent literally hours ripping weeds out from where the truck sits on the nature strip,
plus they had to do the front (yard,lawn, god know what to call it) move what quite frankly should not be called a car, theres no way its roadworthy, do under that, then top it all off by piling rubbish out the front!

i gotta tell ya, it shites me to tears!! i wish they would bloody move, in the whole estate, theres nothing like it, even the guy with the plastic trees is neat!! the place we live is is beautiful, cant they see the difference? bloody lazy no good pigs!

Racist and threatening. There, you have my reply.

And why doesnt culprit do the neighbourly thing. Invite them over for a bbq. Show them how the whitefellar does it! Offer to mow their lawns until they can afford a lawn mower. Instantly a problem of neighbour complaint becomes the East Burwood chapter of the United Nations.

And I'm sorry. I had my fair share of seeing burning down houses. It's not a nice experience. Nuff said.

No one likes neighbours who are pigs and neighbours who live in a shanty like it was an out-take of Slum Dog Millionaire. But lead by example rather than sit back and pontificate.

Peter Griffin 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 pm

annewilo wrote:
You might even have one in your street god forbid. How on earth would you know?

Just by the revolving scum that live there Wink

Sorry, speaking from personal experience there! Used to live on the same block as two commission homes. One family we called the Ewoks and the other family was called The Ten Kids. Kids are so cruel.. Embarassed

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:41 pm

How many kids do you have?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 pm

No wonder Nigerian scammers are successful! We believe anything don't we? Australia the most over-priced in the world? Give me a break please.

Where's the evidence for this?

Housing in Australia, like everywhere else depends on demand and supply.
At present we have increasing demand and diminishing supply. Natural population increases (birth rate) and immigration sees population rising, as it should if we are to maintain our position and lifestyle.

For too long all governments have restrained supply and allowed the outer suburbs to be the only option for growth. These are suburbs where people would prefer not to live. There's little infrastructure and lack of choice in shopping, schools and entertainment.

Low density living is the obvious answer but when councils try, they are invariably met with objections from local residents, as in Camberwell or even outer suburbs worried about crims and Indians moving in!

The best way to examine the price of housing, is to value it according to disposable income. That measure shows a current rate of 4.3X down from 4.8X. This is the measure used by most banks and organisations and even the RBA. This measure includes all property in Australia, including regional centres and not just capital cities as I suspect The Economist may have used.

The best way to stop house prices moving ever upward would be to elastify supply; that is, build more housing in areas people wish to live. Building along rail links would be a great place to start.

If prices were really too high and over valued by 56%, wouldn't we be seeing a crisis in mortgage defaults as buyers were unable to pay the monthly bills?

We don't see this. Our default rates are a 1/10 of those in the US and Ireland. Why is this? It's because wages growth in Australia has outpaced house prices over the past ten years.

As this trend is very likely to continue, prices are unlikely to come tumbling any time soon.

Even if every government and council in the land suddenly decided to act as one and increase supply in the right places, it would still take two to three years for prices to adjust.

If I had some spare dollars now, I know where I'd be putting them and it wouldn't be in shares.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 pm

annewilo wrote:
think positive wrote:
annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Racist and threatening. There, you have my reply.

And why doesnt culprit do the neighbourly thing. Invite them over for a bbq. Show them how the whitefellar does it! Offer to mow their lawns until they can afford a lawn mower. Instantly a problem of neighbour complaint becomes the East Burwood chapter of the United Nations.

And I'm sorry. I had my fair share of seeing burning down houses. It's not a nice experience. Nuff said.

No one likes neighbours who are pigs and neighbours who live in a shanty like it was an out-take of Slum Dog Millionaire. But lead by example rather than sit back and pontificate.

i do lead by example, as do most of the stree/area they aint following, cant call me racists,2 out of 3 are aussies in my situation.

you shouldnt have to invite them over and offer to mow their lawn, (culprit probably has enough friends) they should just do it or get a fire danger note from the council, (which i think they all did in my situation!!)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:31 pm

annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Barking up the wrong tree here, I have lived in a Ministry House and area and seen what transpires first hand. I crawled out of the gutter and have no wish to go back there.

For some its a place that they can't move out of. They have needs. I am sure there are loads of people who have the need to rely on DHS for whatever reason. Health, Age, Unemployment, high rental costs etc. For you there is a stigma attached, but for me, I see it as essential that we support people who have a need. We are all humans and I do not base my opinions on someone just because they might live in government housing.

You have missed my point completely. I have stated that they are now intergrating housing so there is no longer the stigma attached to it.

Part of the reason why there is such a shortage of public housing is that once people get in, there is no means test to move them out or raise the rent to a market rate.

People get in, based on need, but once in they stay. I know of families who would not qualify for public housing by a looong way, except they are already in it. Meanwhile, those who are in a bad way have to resort to being on a several year wait list.

Public housing really should have a review mechanism built in so that in order to stay there you need to demonstrate you still need it.

And, while some people look after the places quite well (usually the older ones) a lot don't. They've started knocking down some of the old housing commission places in Heidelberg once they become vacant, which is about all they're fit for because of the way they've been treated.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Part of the reason why there is such a shortage of public housing is that once people get in, there is no means test to move them out or raise the rent to a market rate.

People get in, based on need, but once in they stay. I know of families who would not qualify for public housing by a looong way, except they are already in it. Meanwhile, those who are in a bad way have to resort to being on a several year wait list.

Public housing really should have a review mechanism built in so that in order to stay there you need to demonstrate you still need it.

And, while some people look after the places quite well (usually the older ones) a lot don't. They've started knocking down some of the old housing commission places in Heidelberg once they become vacant, which is about all they're fit for because of the way they've been treated.

+1

annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
No wonder Nigerian scammers are successful! We believe anything don't we? Australia the most over-priced in the world? Give me a break please.

Where's the evidence for this?

Housing in Australia, like everywhere else depends on demand and supply.
At present we have increasing demand and diminishing supply. Natural population increases (birth rate) and immigration sees population rising, as it should if we are to maintain our position and lifestyle.

For too long all governments have restrained supply and allowed the outer suburbs to be the only option for growth. These are suburbs where people would prefer not to live. There's little infrastructure and lack of choice in shopping, schools and entertainment.

Low density living is the obvious answer but when councils try, they are invariably met with objections from local residents, as in Camberwell or even outer suburbs worried about crims and Indians moving in!

The best way to examine the price of housing, is to value it according to disposable income. That measure shows a current rate of 4.3X down from 4.8X. This is the measure used by most banks and organisations and even the RBA. This measure includes all property in Australia, including regional centres and not just capital cities as I suspect The Economist may have used.

The best way to stop house prices moving ever upward would be to elastify supply; that is, build more housing in areas people wish to live. Building along rail links would be a great place to start.

If prices were really too high and over valued by 56%, wouldn't we be seeing a crisis in mortgage defaults as buyers were unable to pay the monthly bills?

We don't see this. Our default rates are a 1/10 of those in the US and Ireland. Why is this? It's because wages growth in Australia has outpaced house prices over the past ten years.

As this trend is very likely to continue, prices are unlikely to come tumbling any time soon.

Even if every government and council in the land suddenly decided to act as one and increase supply in the right places, it would still take two to three years for prices to adjust.

If I had some spare dollars now, I know where I'd be putting them and it wouldn't be in shares.

Shares are only good for the long time investor IMHO. I totally agree with you here. Gone too are the great days of making terrific gains, even in Mining and Banking Blue Chips. My wonderful husband sold our entire portfolio several weeks before the big turn, fearing the sub prime information coming out was a threat. We havent gone back into the market since, except for a little bit of Mining and Banking in my Super.

In relation though to the housing market in Melbourne, I can tell you the buyer need is dead at the moment. Dead buried and cremated....lol..to quote an idiot....Each week an average of 5 houses per agent are listed on the market, not agency, I mean the business partners who list them. The market in Melbourne has taken a tumble. And they keep saying we have positive clearance rates. It's a joke. It will change but this is the state of reality.

One of the main reasons is the increase they made to the First Home Owners Grant. Thousands of people who may have bought in future years suddenly entered the market at once and this has caused an absolute deluge in new home builds in 2009. Contracts are still flowing on from this. So in essence, the buyer market has dried up. Demand is down. Or rather these buyers are out of the equation.

Furthermore record numbers of international students have decided not to enrol, for a variety of reasons. The flow on affect from the higher Aussie dollar, the GFC and the issues around racism have seen many universities and Tafe colleges suffering greatly. Victoria University and RMIT in particular have taken huge hits on this. And this has an impact on the housing market. A lot of Chinese mainly parents were buying flats and houses to accommodate their children, because they struggled with the rental market. It was an easy fix. And by the time the student finished uni, they had a tidy little profit in sale. But alot of this has dried up and property investors like me are seeing the need abate.

I sat with my agent tonight discussing strategies for our upcoming auction on my own home. And never before has he seen it like this and he has been in the game for 20 years. I too as a property investor who has bought and sold properties for years in a variety of suburbs like Essendon, Rosanna etc and have never found a better buyers market.

So lets look at the facts about whether the title of this thread is accurate. To service a loan of approx $325k you need to repay around the $1900 per month and pay a 30k deposit. Some banks are insisting on 20% deposits. How much are you paying in rent on average if you don't own? Where we live there is hardly a rental under $350 per week. So do the maths as someone else says in here. You can start on the housing market quite nicely in a 2 bedroom unit close to the city or a new house in the outer burbs with a total of $375k.

In London it costs about 900 pound per month minimum to rent a two bedder in the central area inside the M25. The average salary there I think it close to 30k pound per year. And the banks usually only lend you around 3-4 times your salary. So you can only buy a one room studio for that type of money. The only great thing about the UK market is their interest rates atm for homes is around 3-4%. Here we can buy a 3 bedroom house with a deposit of 50k and $1900 per month. As stated before, Oslo, Tokyo and Switzerland are far worse. And in Switzerland you cannot buy a house. You need to go on the waiting list and then get permission from your local canton to buy one. So the prices are mad right across this tiny country. Houses get handed down through families in most cases.

One thing they do better in a places like Switzerland is integration. All nationalities get on. You can be in a meeting with a German, Italian, French and Englishman and they can cut through any geographical boundaries. And those countries have some serious issues from past wars. I do digress.

I also don't agree with you about the salaries either. In the last 3 years they have contracted largey so people could hold on to their jobs. This is still being felt in the city, although getting back to some normality, but bonus, perks and automatic pay rises arent a given these days either.

I too find it odd that this journalist has written this story.

Last edited by annewilo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Glenn Stevens said today that the disposable income to house prices is actually 4.5X. Hasn't changed in ten years. That's a nice little fact to have handy for the doomsayers.

It sure is a buyer's market.......so good luck with the auction!

annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Peter Griffin wrote:
annewilo wrote:

Room for a pony et al!

Laughing That made me laugh! Is that from Keeping Up Appearances? I love that show..

Room for a pony is yes.

I met Hyacinth Bucket, Patricia Routledge when we brought her to Australia for a series of shows, when I was at Ticketek. An odd woman off stage and hated talking about the show as she has filmed it years back.. I went up to her all gushing when I met her and told her how wonderful I thought the show was. She was not amused and refused to talk about it.

Richard, her long suffering husband and her son, Sheridan, who was gay but she didnt know it and always needed money also made the show. Although we never got to see Sheridan. He always called on the telephone.

The saying comes from Hyacinth saying "its Violet, who's married to Bruce, who likes wearing womens dresses and they live in a house with a Mercedes , sauna and room for a pony!

Last edited by annewilo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:06 pm

He will be interested I am sure.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Glenn Stevens said today that the disposable income to house prices is actually 4.5X. Hasn't changed in ten years. That's a nice little fact to have handy for the doomsayers.

It sure is a buyer's market.......so good luck with the auction!

Thanks, fingers crossed X. Wouldn't be selling right now if I didnt need the equity for our new venture, for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: