Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PIES V ESS 1990 fosters cup international london match

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the match

I also attended training and Collingwood gave me "leigh Mathews" training jumper to raffle for our club. Leigh Mathews didnt travel.....so I knew it was bullshit so I kept the training jumper, still got it.

Great memories..........
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Techno12 wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
I remember this match happening, but don't remember anything from it.....

The one I remember was after the 1988 season vs Hawthorn in Canada.
It was played on a rectangular American/Canadian Football field !!! LOL Laughing
There was a commentator en the PR system while the match was going, so the crowd could follow what was happening. Laughing

They were thinking of bringing in a rule - which was used in this match - that you couldn't handball from a free kick, you could only kick it. !!! LOL Laughing(imagine if that rule had have got up !!!!)
Shane Morwood got pinged for it, & resulted in a ball-up, similar to if someone steps on the line whilst kicking out from a behind.

I think someone smashed Dermie too....
Anyone remember who ????

I was 7 years old in 1988. Not sure if it was 1988, but I recall seeing Collingwood V Geelong exhibition match being played in an indoor stadium. At the time I believed the match was played at the SkyDome now Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Anyway, through wiki I found the following:

8/10/1988 Miami, USA Joe Robbie Stadium VFL post season exhibition Collingwood v Geelong 7,500 attendance

16/10/1988 Toronto, Canada Varsity Stadium (outdoor stadium) VFL post season exhibition Collingwood v Hawthorn 18,500 attendance

Turns out my memory is not so good.

Anytime you don't trust your memory, just ask Dyso for his recollections.
Better than Wikipedia!!!! Very Happy

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:28 pm

malteaser wrote:
I remember it very well, I was there. On the wing about 5 rows back mayb more fwd flank. Ran on the field after the match caught up with Richo and Daics and spent a good few hours with the boys. went with friends of mine still to this day not sure where they went, either do they. the match made up for me missing the GF. didn't get to see the actual replay until the week after, so I had no idea of how the match went and the fight. Was the greatest day of my life, really that was my GF cause I had to wait another bloody 20 years to see a flag. I am sure I have photos somewhere, might look for them and upload them. Considering I went to the 79, 80, and 81 GF and then we lost 02 and 03, I really started to believe that I would have to wait until I was in a wheel chair and on oxygen. But at least 1990 at the Oval was fantastic, oh yeah when I did get to see the replay, the video tape ran out and I never got to see Tony lift the cup until I returned home 5 years later. Thank god for 2010

This is the type of feeling that I believe Joffa is banging on about in that "Passion" thread. THIS is what being a Collingwood supporter is all about!!

I can't see it meaning the same in modern times, and on into the future.
I hope I'm wrong on that.........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Good little video from the Collingwood website on the 1990 London game after the Grand Final.

The Club: Pies of '90 in London
Hear the tall tales and true from Collingwood's trip to London to take on Essendon, just seven days after the 1990 Grand Final.
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2014-07-30/the-club-london-after-the-1990-grand-final-win

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: