Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gay Marraige

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Gay People be Allowed to Marry
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 20 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 28

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more Gays priests than there are Gays at the Peel hotel.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 pm

David wrote:
It has nothing to do with church ceremonies. How many couples even get married in churches nowadays? It's about legal and societal recognition.

The legal and societal recognition is already in place. As I mentioned in my earlier post, same-sex couples can 'register' their relationships which is akin to being married. Even in circumstances where one or both of the partners have children, the law now provides that the relationship of step-parent to the children is created immediately upon registration of the relationship, regardless of whether the couple are of the same or opposite sex. Look up the Relationship Act 2008 (Victoria).

I am just not seeing the bigger picture because the only thing that is different is the ceremony and the ability to say "we are married" (as opposed to saying we are in a "registered" relationship).

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

That difference is a big deal. What it states unequivocally is that same-sex relationships are inherently different from heterosexual relationships. Why should we allow that view to be perpetuated in law? And don't you think allowing same-sex couples to marry would be a significant step in societal acceptance of homosexuality?

It's the last formal barrier, and, I feel, a significant one. But whether you agree with that or not, the fact is that there are many long-term gay and lesbian who simply wish to enter into this hugely significant cultural institution for themselves. The fact that they can't is clearly discriminatory and unfair.

I wish some people would look at this issue empathetically. It's not about 'them' or 'gays'; these are real people. Have you ever wanted to get married to someone? Known anyone who did? How would you like to be told you can't, and have to settle for a 'civil union' instead? I know there are lots of people (gays and lesbians included) who see marriage as pointless, but there are many people who don't see it that way.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:09 am

3.14159...etc wrote:
People change and the Church needs to accept that!

God is absolute. We have secular laws to reflect the will of the people. I support gay marriages but I'll also respect the right of churches not to condone them.

sq3 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 am

David wrote:
That difference is a big deal. What it states unequivocally is that same-sex relationships are inherently different from heterosexual relationships. Why should we allow that view to be perpetuated in law? And don't you think allowing same-sex couples to marry would be a significant step in societal acceptance of homosexuality?

It's the last formal barrier, and, I feel, a significant one. But whether you agree with that or not, the fact is that there are many long-term gay and lesbian who simply wish to enter into this hugely significant cultural institution for themselves. The fact that they can't is clearly discriminatory and unfair.

I wish some people would look at this issue empathetically. It's not about 'them' or 'gays'; these are real people. Have you ever wanted to get married to someone? Known anyone who did? How would you like to be told you can't, and have to settle for a 'civil union' instead? I know there are lots of people (gays and lesbians included) who see marriage as pointless, but there are many people who don't see it that way.

I agree 100% David - we are all people and all deserve equal rights and how our relationships are preceived by the legal system.

All people deserve the right to select the partner of their choice and to formalize that relationship and be seen as a married couple - regardless of the sex of the 2 people involved.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Geez, I'm so over it.

Gays have been around as long as man, so just let them do what they want. At the end of the day if they walk past you wouldnt know, or care, if they were married anyway. So what difference does it make?

The real question is.... Why would anyone want to get married in the first place?? Very Happy

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Presti#1Fan wrote:
The real question is.... Why would anyone want to get married in the first place?? Very Happy

They've grown tired of being happy, and having casual sex?

I kid I kid... I am sure there's a reason somewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:07 pm

It is my fundamental purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: