Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

War in Syria

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RENT THIS SPACE wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
HAL wrote:
What colour are your eyes?

look into my eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkWtcKBjBnk

(repeating an old joke)

I went to see a hypnotist last week. He just finished hypnotising 7 men up on stage when he tripped, stubbed his toe and yelled "Fvck Me" into the mic.

What happened next will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:37 am

ronrat wrote:
As odious as chemical warfare is let us sit this out.

+1

Have been dragged into far too many wars by our allies.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:34 am

This is a really good article:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/29/syria-more-courage-to-say-nothing-can-do

Quote:
Something-must-be-done wars have a long and wretched history, notably in the Middle East. It was after Ronald Reagan saw television footage of the Sabra and Shatila massacres in 1982 that he ordered his marines into Beirut. He later withdrew them, leaving 265 American dead and Lebanon with a further decade of ghastly civil conflict.

In 1986, the US tried to kill Libya's Colonel Gaddafi over a terrorist attack in Berlin, merely ensuring a further burst of Gaddafi-sponsored terrorism. In Kosovo in 1999, the Nato bombing of Belgrade did nothing to impede ethnic cleansing, indeed it probably expedited it. What tipped the Russians into forcing Serbia to back down was the threat of a western land invasion.

In 1993, President Clinton bombed Baghdad in retaliation for a claimed plot to kill former president George H Bush. This was followed five years later by the further bombing of Iraq in Operation Desert Fox, this time to deflect attention from the Monica Lewinsky affair. Its declared purpose of eliminating weapons of mass destruction was so botched as to require more bombing and the eventual invasion in 2003. Then as now, the zest for aggression seemed driven as much by the military-industrial complex as by legality or evidence.

Overstating the military and political potency of air power mostly as a "sending of messages" is as old as air war itself. Tactical bombing is occasionally effective where, as in Libya and initially in Afghanistan, it is in close support of ground forces. When, as now, it is intended as a soft option to ground action, it merely destroys.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:46 am

Just watching Kerry and Hagel live on CNN; it's about as factually informative as the 4th of July at an NRA education night. All the usual nonsense and platitudes, of course. (About the only question to arise in my mind from the swathe of hokum is whether Kerry has contracted an unfortunate facial virus since I last saw him, or if his cosmetic surgeon was an evil Republican plant).

This BBC page is informative: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23950253 , and I see it is at pains to preface its report with the word "alleged", in a quaint throwback to more serious times. (And note it still employs the term the following day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23962304 ).

I see Ban Ki-moon's speech on the matter (video on the BBC page) has no date, but he also prefaces his comments with something like "should the allegations prove to be true", ...." Take from that caveat what you will.

Here's Obama's release: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/03_09_13_president_obama_letter.pdf

Note in Obama's release there is no evidence given (perhaps it's the wrong medium, but...), there is an appeal to weapons of mass destruction (like we've never seen one of those go awry), and there's a cringeworthy hymnal-like call to defend "American resolve". I mean, they may well be stating fact in amongst such tripe, but I actually can't be sure because they've lied with such regularity in my lifetime. I'm one of those sceptical types who demand that rare earth substance known as "evidence".

Oh, and for a nation which breaks treaties like a drunk breaks wind after a can of beans, references to UN conventions score a zero on the relevance meter.

To reiterate, I don't have a position aside from needing facts. Can anyone help with those? "Alleged" is obviously not good enough when dealing with serial liars.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:46 am

The Allies have weapons they need to use. Once the allies use them they they have to buy more which will stimulate the US Economy. It's Syria, who really cares? If they come here by boat seeking refugee status Abbott can turn their boats around and send them back.
David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 am

Watching congress members make the 'for' case on TV last night was sickening. So much barely-contained glee at the idea of another war. What's wrong with these people?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm

David wrote:
Watching congress members make the 'for' case on TV last night was sickening. So much barely-contained glee at the idea of another war. What's wrong with these people?
Did you see ex Viet Vet playing poker on his phone? America thrives on war.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm

David wrote:

What Culprit said. Having skirmishes somewhere is good for the USA economy and particularly so for those involved either directly or indirectly in the weapons industry.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

What Culprit said. Having skirmishes somewhere is good for the USA economy and particularly so for those involved either directly or indirectly in the weapons industry.

USA, USA, USA...

Fool me once, shame on... shame on you.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Howard Jacobson on Syria (The Independent UK weekend)

My position on whether we, or anyone else, should intervene in Syria couldnt be clearer. I absolutely, utterly and definitively dont know. I like to think I have been consistent in this. I didnt know what I thought when the Syrian uprising started more than two years ago; didnt know when the Syrian army stormed the city of Homs; didnt know after reports of the Houla massacre reached us in May last year; didnt know when brutal-faced Syrian generals denied all involvement in any massacre; didnt know when I saw pictures of rebels bearing marked resemblance to clerics we are always trying to deport to Jordan, and dont know now.
Gas should concentrate the mind or at least the minds of those on whom it has not been used should it not? Gas, for Gods sake. Gas, with all its hideous associations for those of us who still remember the 20th century. Isnt gas the line that cant be crossed, and once crossed must incur not just our wrath but our strenuous and if necessary armed insistence that it will never be crossed again? Dont know. Yes but no but.

I am not asking for anyones pity, but chief among the pains of writing a newspaper column each week is having to know what you think. No matter that you are more the craven-scrupled Hamlet than the itchy-fingered Fortinbras, a man who can find quarrel in a straw, you must lash yourself into opinionated action on the morning that you write, fat the regions kites with the offal of the villain of the week, understanding that if your thoughts arent bloody, they are nothing worth.

Out there at this very moment, in lofts, basements, lean-tos and neglected gardens, a thousand otherwise genial-tempered hacks are rubbing the lamp of intemperate opinion to coax out a view immoderately enthusiastic or grossly derogatory, it hardly matters which, and the distinction probably wont be noticed anyway on celebrity chefs, wayward footballers, twerking pop stars, tattooed nobodies and any one of a thousand comedians whose routine is indistinguishable from the others a judgement I no sooner make than I withdraw lest you think I have a view on the matter.

But what are such artificially manufactured convictions compared to the certainties the leader of a powerful nation has to delve into himself to find when confronted, not with Jamie Oliver and potato crisps, but Bashar al-Assad and a rocket-load of sarin gas? Whod be Obama? Damned for every action he takes and damned for every action he doesnt. Its hard not to suspect, from the pitch of their voices, that those who rail against our going in today are the very people who railed against our staying out yesterday. Or is it just that dead certainty sounds the same, no matter who you are and what it is youre being dead certain about?

So what is it we think we know? Or at least to shrink the field to more manageable proportions of ignorance what is it we think we know about this region of the world? Lets start with dictators. We think we are against them. His being a dictator was one reason among many for getting rid of Saddam Hussein. But then we discovered that a dictator sometimes holds together, by virtue of the violence at his disposal, factions that would otherwise do even greater damage to their country than he does. Iraq was better under Saddam Hussein, say those who once blamed the West for putting him there in the first place. A dictator, it would appear, like your reflection in a mirror, depends where youre looking from. And whether Tony Blair is looking over your shoulder.

Some Egyptians, having democratically elected a man who was quick to take on the lineaments of absolutism, now look longingly back to the dictator they already had. Better the despot you know is the thinking of the Russians in relation to Syria. And Russians have some previous when it comes to alternating despots. Maybe we should listen to them from time to time. Since we are all wrong about everything, the more variously wrong voices we attend to the more comprehensively informed about our ignorance we are likely to be.

Having done dictators, lets deal with democracy. We think we are for it. Let the people choose. That was what Egyptians recently believed. But they forgot that the people often choose badly. So when does a free vote that turns out to be a bad vote turn out to be undemocratic? When the side that you are on says it is. Enter the army. We, who know what we think, call any army interference in civil politics a coup. Egyptians in favour of the coup, and who dont therefore see it as a coup, call it democracy in action.

If I knew what I thought Id say that was a fair description. Using the army to remove, in the name of democracy, a democratically elected leader who thought hed been elected to be a dictator, thereby rendering illegal the legality of his election, makes a sort of sense if only in that it makes nonsense of the idea that there can be sense.

Whats happening in Egypt isnt funny, but no absurdist playwright could have left the language of ideology the weasel words in which we wrap our beliefs and offer to know what we think in more disarray.

Yesterday, upon the stair,

I met a man who wasnt there.

He wasnt there again today

I wish, I wish hed go away.

But now hes gone Mr Certainty, that is now our Parliament has decided against intervention, I cant help thinking its made the wrong choice. Gas, for Gods sake! No but yes but.
[/i]

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Jon Stewart as only the Dally Show can do it (about the US & Syria):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsVW9pjjA7g

Very Happy Very Happy

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:01 am

watt price tully wrote:
Jon Stewart as only the Dally Show can do it (about the US & Syria):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsVW9pjjA7g

Very Happy Very Happy
Gold!! Laughing
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 am

Massive breakthrough: Russia forces Assad to go back to killing thousands of people with normal weapons.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/human-rights-watch-concludes-syrian-regime-behind-chemical-atta/4949404

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: