Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Peta Searle

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie Lawrence never swam for Australia. Was a pretty decent coach though.

There should be no caveat that someone has to be male or have played at the highest level in order to be a coach. Playing and coaching is a totally different skill set.

having said that, first we would need to have a vacancy in the coaching staff and this lady would have to impress sufficiently to get offered a role. You don't offer her a job as a novelty factor because she's female, you do it if she can bring something to the table as a coach.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Tannin wrote:
Why would we want a coach who has never played the game at the top level?

Pass.

Like Dale Tapping and Stephen Grace? Shocked

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:02 pm

MrMagic35 wrote:
Unfortunately she wasn't anything special according to people within VFL ranks. Of course Ayres was going to sing her praises when asked about her. Imagine if he hadn't.

Does not surprise me. The article was written like an 'A Current Affair' sob story.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:54 am

I work with someone that has been coached by her, apparently she gave some great advice to her and helped turn her career around and she ended up a multiple premiership player. Seemed she did a lot of that kind of stuff when she was coaching some teams, 'tis all I know about this person.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:15 am

Ok, so she had a role at VFL level and was not offered an extension at Port Melbourne when her tenure expired.
Male, Female, Canine, or Alien - on what planet would that qualify someone for a promotion to AFL level????

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 am

Good on Alan Richardson for giving her a chance.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lost-for-words-afls-first-female-coach-peta-searle-20140602-zrulm.html

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:50 am

Find her a role. For God's sake.

Nothing worse than a teacher who doesn't want to be a teacher but can't cut it doing whatever they'd rather be doing. It's a profession, not an effing contingency plan.

I'd rather she was making the boys sandwiches than going through the motions in a classroom.

Some people think that the education of the next generation is as important or even, shock horror, more important than footy.

I know, sacrilege, right?

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:

Some people think that the education of the next generation is as important or even, shock horror, more important than footy.

How many education forums do you post on?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:42 pm

So, why is a thread about an assistant coach at the 'Aints in General Discussion?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Why do I exist?
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, why is a thread about an assistant coach at the 'Aints in General Discussion?

As a wrap up of a previous thread. Why has there been 16 page threads about a blues player, and 14 page threads about a kid who may not play for us.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:30 pm

dalyc wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:

How many education forums do you post on?

There are education forums?

Do you mean VPT?

If you don't get why I'd find it irritating that a chick who can't get a gig as a coach (or couldn't) has to settle for an 'unsatisfying' alternative like being a teacher, then - meh.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:11 pm

dalyc wrote:
We also have a President of the club who has never played the game at the Senior level but most would agree he's done a pretty good job of running the club.

They aren't teaching anyone how to play football though.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Tannin wrote:
Wrong question. You are asking the woman to replace her current obstetrician with one who has never given birth (which can still be OK) and selecting the new obstetrician purely on the grounds that he is a man. That is beyond dumb.

If this job applicant is good enough to bring a real improvement to an AFL club, there is a fair chance she would have already been hired. The fact that she has not been hired by any of the 18 different clubs is pretty good evidence that that they don't think she's good enough. Clubs make mistakes sometimes - we all know that, clubs have been known to pass over good talents over in the draft only to see them star in the WAFL or the VFL and force their way in as a mature rookie - but no club is going to walk past the best coaching candidate if that candidate is going to provide them with a competitive advantage.

Most candidates who get passed over shut up and work on their skills before trying again instead of sooking about someone else getting "their" spot. She should do likewise. If she actually wanted to be an AFL coach instead of sooking about how hard it is, she should do it the same way every other aspiring coach does it: take a job with a lower league and show the world you have got what it takes. There are plenty of wannabe AFL coaches going around who have taken VFL and SANFL and WAFL sides to premierships. If they can't get a gig, why should another candidate with no top-level senior playing or coaching experience bar an unsuccessful trial period with the worst-run club in the AFL hope to do better?

Tell her to come back with a couple of premierships as a senior coach in the VFL or the SANFL and try again. If she's not prepared to put in the hard yards and establish some serious credentials in the game, plenty of others are.

As usual Tannin makes sense. Geez, I coached at junior level and won a flag, surely Collingwood should hire me. Razz Laughing

And don't get me started on teachers. Rolling Eyes People who can't do, teach! That's why teaching courses have for as long as I can remember been the easiest uni courses to get into. No wonder literacy and numeracy levels are falling.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:59 pm

collie dog wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Wrong question. You are asking the woman to replace her current obstetrician with one who has never given birth (which can still be OK) and selecting the new obstetrician purely on the grounds that he is a man. That is beyond dumb.

If this job applicant is good enough to bring a real improvement to an AFL club, there is a fair chance she would have already been hired. The fact that she has not been hired by any of the 18 different clubs is pretty good evidence that that they don't think she's good enough. Clubs make mistakes sometimes - we all know that, clubs have been known to pass over good talents over in the draft only to see them star in the WAFL or the VFL and force their way in as a mature rookie - but no club is going to walk past the best coaching candidate if that candidate is going to provide them with a competitive advantage.

Most candidates who get passed over shut up and work on their skills before trying again instead of sooking about someone else getting "their" spot. She should do likewise. If she actually wanted to be an AFL coach instead of sooking about how hard it is, she should do it the same way every other aspiring coach does it: take a job with a lower league and show the world you have got what it takes. There are plenty of wannabe AFL coaches going around who have taken VFL and SANFL and WAFL sides to premierships. If they can't get a gig, why should another candidate with no top-level senior playing or coaching experience bar an unsuccessful trial period with the worst-run club in the AFL hope to do better?

Tell her to come back with a couple of premierships as a senior coach in the VFL or the SANFL and try again. If she's not prepared to put in the hard yards and establish some serious credentials in the game, plenty of others are.

As usual Tannin makes sense. Geez, I coached at junior level and won a flag, surely Collingwood should hire me. Razz Laughing

And don't get me started on teachers. Rolling Eyes People who can't do, teach! That's why teaching courses have for as long as I can remember been the easiest uni courses to get into. No wonder literacy and numeracy levels are falling.

that's only because people like you don't realize how important teachers are and as a result it is one of the lowest paying jobs around.....

Think of this - a really good teacher can teach a child about 1.5 years worth of stuff (not far fetched) in a year. a really bad teacher might teach a child only half a year worth of stuff in a year.

so then the difference between a good and a bad teacher in one year is ..... 1 year!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: