Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Toasters - All comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At his best I think Martin's more naturally gifted than Blair, probably Adams, maybe on par with Thomas but being able to display that consistently at the level up from VFL will be the key to whether he can have a career in the AFL.

So far from his limited opportunties we are yet to see what Martin can offer if he brings his best form. He will only get so many chances.

Armstrong has played 30 senior games across 3 AFL clubs so basically he's got a full seasons worth of AFL experience more than Martin and that makes a big difference.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I'll ignore the "more naturally talented" claim, though I don't necessarily believe it. He's not going to take Adams' spot in the team, he's nowhere near the contested ball player he is. The only spot he has the potential of usurping is Blair's. I'd still have Blair ahead given his better contested ball winning ability and Martin's lack of strength, but in my ideal team, neither Blair or Martin are playing. I consider them similar types, and I'm looking for a more offensive player to replace Blair. At the moment, Kennedy's my man.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Does anyone know if Sinclair or Karnesis are in contention for AFL selection anytime soon?
Az 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I'll ignore the "more naturally talented" claim, though I don't necessarily believe it. He's not going to take Adams' spot in the team, he's nowhere near the contested ball player he is. The only spot he has the potential of usurping is Blair's. I'd still have Blair ahead given his better contested ball winning ability and Martin's lack of strength, but in my ideal team, neither Blair or Martin are playing. I consider them similar types, and I'm looking for a more offensive player to replace Blair. At the moment, Kennedy's my man.

I dunno, I can't remember the amount but didn't K-Mart rack up a crazy amount of contested possessions in the magoos while getting tagged the other week? I think given the opportunity of adequate time in the midfield, he could deliver for us. In saying that, he's way too far down the pecking order to be given a fair chance in the middle.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:09 am

mgbourne wrote:
Looking forward to being amongst the Collingwood army on Sunday, hoping for a big win!!

Will hardly be an 'Army' ... these wankers have cut our seat allocation by that much, the only way you get a guaranteed ticket is if you're a Full member. WA members had to go into a ballot to get tickets. We get the worst seats in the house. I hate these pricks Twisted Evil

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:54 am

Going to be tough, real tough, over at that joint, full of rabid Wet toasters, we only just beat em on the G here some weeks ago. Too early for a tip yet, but its a big ask, still, they are beatable over there, as Norf and others have shown. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Does anyone know if Sinclair or Karnesis are in contention for AFL selection anytime soon?

I don't think so.

Sinclair's return from injury is still being managed. He looked good while he was on against Box Hill but he didn't play anything like the whole game.

PK is still getting the pace of it after his recent injury. He really didn't get into the game much against Box Hill and I couldn't see him being brought up just yet (barring a further raft of senior injuries). It's a shame because he was certainly pressing for senior selection before his last injury.
collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

Karnesis still a few weeks away fitness wise, Sinclair probably a couple away from genuine consideration, played a half last week, 3 quarters this week, first "full" VFL game this weekend coming, in contention after that?

Ball, Young, Kennedy, Thomas and Grundy all more or less match fit and in contention.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:57 am

Kennedy and Young come in.

Martin & Adams out.

Happy for Martin to stay as hasn't had a proper crack at it but not sure he's game is suited to Subi.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Ins: Kennedy, Ball, Grundy

Outs: Adams (inj), Martin, Witts.

I don't expect Witts to be dropped, but really i'd prefer to see him go back to the VFL and concentrate on taking some marks before he gets a recall. Grundy needs to recalled very soon if he's any hope to contribute in September - assuming we make the finals.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 am

Why is grundy out?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 am

think positive wrote:
Why is grundy out?

As a ruckman, he gives away too many frees -notably in front of goal - and takes even fewer overhead marks than Witts. As a forward he can't seem to get the pill. There's two reasons. I hope he gets better, but he's not really setting the reserves alight.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Ins: Kennedy, Ball, Grundy

Outs: Adams (inj), Martin, Witts.

^ Yep.

Toovey is the wild card though. If Tooves is right, then Langdon comes out for him. Langdon should be rested in any case

Ball has to come in to replace Adams. Thomas is a possibility but he hasn't yet come on to the point where he can really impact a game and set his stamp on it. Ball will be desperate to show that he can still cut it at senior level and should be selected.

Martin will be stiff to miss out after effectively getting no chance to show his stuff last week. Fairness says Martin plays, and not as the bloody sub this time. Practicality says sorry youngster, you drew the short straw. Kennedy is the better choice at this time.

Witts is looking tired. He's doing well and has come on brilliantly this year. He is by far our best choice to ruck the finals, but he should be rested, especially given that we are taking the long flight to Perth, which is particularly hard on talls. Grundy isn't doing a lot in the twos, I hear, but nevertheless should come in (a) to spell Witts, and (b) to spruce Grundy up with senior gametime in case he is required for finals. The expectation is that Grundy will play just the one game, possibly two, before being replaced one again by a refreshed Witts, but that's up to him: if he can pull out a blinder then the spot is his to hold. The main thing is not to bugger young Witts up with overwork and this is the right week to rest him.

I would like to see Ball named as sub. Late in the game, a fresh Ball is not exposed for pace and is a real impact player. But, with Adams out, Ball's extracting power is needed all day so we are better off naming another slow player in the green. Blair is the right choice, but he's Certified Untouchable so it will probably be poor Kennedy. Again.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 am

Don't think there will be too many changes. Ball for Adams is the obvious one. Think they'd like to get Young back in for his run given it's at Subi but Armstrongs game may mean he's probably playing VFL again. Tooves, if fit, should return but not too sure for whom, maybe Martin. Would love to see Ben Kennedy return but again, not sure for whom, maybe for Martin if Tooves doesn't get up. What's the weather in Perth supposed to do Sunday?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:58 pm

For those who are interested in the VFL coach's view of the performances of those at the fringe of selection, Dale Tapping's review of the VFL performances is now up: http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-08-05/vfl-tappings-player-review
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: