Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone that wanted us to lose.......

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Yep, losing only becomes a problem for teams that have been doing it for a very long period and have many players that know nothing but. We've been in the finals every year since 2005, losing one extra game in 2014 was never going to scar our players for life, just as winning one extra game was not suddenly going to restore their confidence for next season.

It was good to get the win, but it's a minor and possibly even a pyrrhic victory.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
No Collingwood supporter ever wants to see us lose, that's just BS. Watching us lose is what brings the ""perceptive fellow"" emotions out in the first place. Off the high horse pal.

Very Well Said Exclamation

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Play to win every-time.

Rapt with the win.

Go the Pies!!
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:42 pm

The Port Adelaide game I was referring to was 2004 Embarassed Embarassed (we were just as bad as 2005, those 2 years kind of blend in together).

The same point stands though. Those Collingwood teams never let us down for effort, and we were the better for it long-term; regardless of getting Pendles + Thomas or not.

You can't use that North game as evidence of tanking surely Swoop????
Buckley hit the post, and Thompson the fkn Double Cobra guns pretty boy kicks one out of his arse from 50 on the boundary; we lose by less than a kick.
EDIT: just checked, it was exactly 1 kick, and it was round 19 with 3 games to go!

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I remember the Port game in round 6 2004 KM. I thought we played really well that day despite falling short in the end. We definitely weren't tanking that day.

Who knows what transpired against North in the latter part of 2005 but one way or another they were desperate to secure a finals spot and we ran out of legs at the end of the game. I remember the likes of Harry and Heath Shaw were playing their first few games of the club. That may have even been Harry's first game for the club.

One way or another trying to get high draft picks isn't always executed properly as Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond (2000s) have shown in recent times. Good recruiting is crucial, but developing these youngsters is just as important. Melbourne can't be that unlucky in the fate they've suffered in the past seven years. I don't think recruiting is the entire problem for their club for example, surely those developing the players need to be held to account as well. Hawthorn and Geelong have done really well on the other hand and Geelong never tanked and have been successful for ten years now.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:49 pm

King Monkey wrote:
The Port Adelaide game I was referring to was 2004 Embarassed Embarassed (we were just as bad as 2005, those 2 years kind of blend in together).

The same point stands though. Those Collingwood teams never let us down for effort, and we were the better for it long-term; regardless of getting Pendles + Thomas or not.

You can't use that North game as evidence of tanking surely Swoop????
Buckley hit the post, and Thompson the fkn Double Cobra guns pretty boy kicks one out of his arse from 50 on the boundary; we lose by less than a kick.
EDIT: just checked, it was exactly 1 kick, and it was round 19 with 3 games to go!

Maybe it was or not tanking but Losing that game was better then winning for us

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 pm

amazing the positivity on here compared to last week!

Great win by the boys...... gutsy, took everything they had. So Proud of my Pies

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
amazing the positivity on here compared to last week!

Great win by the boys...... gutsy, took everything they had. So Proud of my Pies

A win sure does help the Feel on the Board Very Happy

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 am

I don't believe in tanking and hope we never do it. Unlike the Committee For UnCollingwood Activities like to portray, I and other critics take no joy in losing. I just want the root cause of it gone from our great club.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:55 am

swoop42 wrote:
Rather another top ten pick than a win against the team sitting 3rd last in GWS.

We'll get smashed next week and this win will count for zilch other than it makes it less likely we'll snare Moore for a second rounder.

It's called the bigger picture...

Simple.

Wrong Swoop. But right also.

Wrong That the win counts for zilch.

Right however that it helps in the bigger picture. It goes it the kit bag and will be drawn upon both consciously and sub-consciously by this group of kids over the next few years as they find themselves in positions in games where they need to find something against the odds to pull out a win when it seems insurmountable.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm

I have followed my beloved Pies for nigh on 55 years, not once have I wanted us to lose, not once. Side by Side means what it says, exactly.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
No Collingwood supporter ever wants to see us lose, that's just BS. Watching us lose is what brings the ""perceptive fellow"" emotions out in the first place. Off the high horse pal.

Exactly, want the club to win every week.

Doesn't mean that certain loses are a little less painful than others, that those loses may also hold benefits.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 pm

That win last night has dispelled any disbelief that might have existed about any doubts that either the team was playing for the coach or they were positioning themselves for picks next year.
And I'm so glad it did.
Go woods.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 am
Post subject: Re: Anyone that wanted us to lose.......Reply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
........ take a good hard bloody look at yourselves.

This is what football clubs are built on - emotion - not a linear plan to secure draft pick a, b, c.

Proud of those young kids, I don't think we would've won that with some of the senior players that missed just going through the motions.

When the game stopped being about structures and set-ups, etc, and became about who wanted it more, we got back into the game. End of story.

GO PIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: