Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was it a win with the draft?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prawnstar Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Won’t know for at least 3 more Seasons

I'd argue five seasons is where we can fully determine it but three seasons would give us a good early indication if the draft was a success or not.

Okay, let's see how we went...

Three seasons

2011 draft
Pick 50 - Jackson Paine
Pick 65 - Corey Gault
Pick 67 - Jarrod Witts
MARK: B - All three have played senior footy, and Witts looks likely (taken under NSW scholarship though, if not mistaken) - not bad for such low picks.

Five seasons

2009 draft
30 - Luke Ball
62 - Ben Sinclair
75 - Josh Thomas
85 - Simon Buckley
MARK: A - Ball was always going to us, but Sinclair and Thomas have been good lower pick gets.

Gee, we had a few years of low picks there - not doing so bad considering...

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:10 am

No A grade players there.
Picking Luke Ball was a no brainer.
But he only lasted 5 seasons.
Helped win a flag so that was great.
But it wasn't rocket science picking him up.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 pm

I think looking at 2008 + 2012 would give a better indication because those are drafts we actually used rather than trading out of them (Luke Ball was in effect trading out Pick 30 for him, but Ross didn't want it) Laughing
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:52 pm

prawnstar wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I'd argue five seasons is where we can fully determine it but three seasons would give us a good early indication if the draft was a success or not.

Three seasons

2011 draft
Pick 50 - Jackson Paine
Pick 65 - Corey Gault
Pick 67 - Jarrod Witts
MARK: B - All three have played senior footy, and Witts looks likely (taken under NSW scholarship though, if not mistaken) - not bad for such low picks.

Five seasons

2009 draft
30 - Luke Ball
62 - Ben Sinclair
75 - Josh Thomas
85 - Simon Buckley
MARK: A - Ball was always going to us, but Sinclair and Thomas have been good lower pick gets.

I think you need to look at the full draft - trade picture rather than just 1 aspect. Highlighted players still at the club.

Three seasons

2011 draft
Pick 25 - Trade GWS - Marty Clarke, Jamie Elliott, Pick 67
Pick 47 - Trade GCS - Peter Yagmoor & Pick 50
Pick 50 - Jackson Paine
Pick 65 - Corey Gault
Pick 67 - Jarrod Witts
RD 17 - Lachlan Smith
RD 35 - Marly Williams
RD 53 - Trent Stubbs
RD 70 - Daniel Farmer
RD 81 - Caolan Mooney
RD 87 - Michael Harley

Draft heavily comprimised by GWS early draft picks but if you went into the drafting period and were told you'd have Elliott, Witts and Williams longer term I think you be happier than a B rating. Gault still specualtive. Lets also wait and see how the Paine - Karnezis trade plays out. As a footnote, also lost John McCarthy to Port in the PSD for nothing. Shame Hartley's shoulders weren't any good as I think he could have been a player. Hopefully he gets another chance in the rookie draft.

Five seasons

2009 draft
14 & 46 - Trade to Sydney - Darren Jolly
30 - Luke Ball
62 - Ben Sinclair
75 - Josh Thomas
85 - Simon Buckley
RD18 - Thomas Hunter
RD34 - Jack Carter
RD47 - Seamus McNamara

Rookie draft in 2009 highly comprimised as GCS had so many early picks. Ball and Jolly won us a flag in 2010 so you'd always see that as a win. That Thomas and Sinclair are the only 2 who remain on the list going into 2015 is probably a little under what you'd like but as a trade off for the 2010 flag it's not too bad. You'd have to see who was taken at 14, 30, and 46 to see if we could have been better placed longer term.

PS - was it Hunter who got the neck injury and had to retire early?

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:00 pm

thompsoc wrote:
No A grade players there.
Picking Luke Ball was a no brainer.
But he only lasted 5 seasons.
Helped win a flag so that was great.
But it wasn't rocket science picking him up.

I'd actually say Elliott and Witts (2011 draft-trade period) both have A-grade potential while Williams will be a very good player long term. Others who remain on our list from those 2 drafts (Gault, Sinclair, Thomas) are running out of time to establish themselves.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Wokko wrote:
I think looking at 2008 + 2012 would give a better indication because those are drafts we actually used rather than trading out of them (Luke Ball was in effect trading out Pick 30 for him, but Ross didn't want it) Laughing

2008:
P11 - Steele Sidebottom
P29 - Dayne Beams
P45 - Jarrod Blight
P46 - Luke Rounds (R Shaw & P61 trade pick)
P73 - Leigh Brown
RD11 - Tristan Francis
RD27 - Jarryd Blair
RD42 - Johnny Bennell
RD56 - Tobias Thoolen
RD69 - Lachlan Keeffe
RD78 - Scott Reed

Elevated Macaffer and Wellingham to the senior list. Need to see how the Beams - Greenwood, Crisp, DeGoey trade pans out but overall think we're ahead on that trade.

FA - Quinten Lynch
FA - Clinton Young
P18 - Brodie Grundy (Wellingham pick)
P19 - Ben Kennedy
P20 - Tim Broomhead (Dawes & P61 pick)
P38 - Jackson Ramsay
P41 & 47 - P38 (trade with North)
P69 - Trade Jordan Russell (T Young pick)
RD13 - Kyle Martin
RD27 - Sam Dwyer
RD35 - Adam Oxley
RD41 - Jack Frost
RD47 - Ben Hudson
RD49 - Peter Yagmoor (demoted from senior list)
RD53 - Ben Richmond (Cat B)

Promoted Marly Williams to the senior list
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:02 pm

jackcass wrote:
Was it Hunter who got the neck injury and had to retire early?

Yes that's right. He sustained the injury in the 2011 NAB Cup and was forced into retirement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-rookie-tom-hunter-retires-due-to-neck-injury/story-e6frf9jf-1226031875644

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am

Jezza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Was it Hunter who got the neck injury and had to retire early?

Yes that's right. He sustained the injury in the 2011 NAB Cup and was forced into retirement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-rookie-tom-hunter-retires-due-to-neck-injury/story-e6frf9jf-1226031875644

Very sad, thought he showed a bit.

Does bring to mind the fact we've lost a few players to injury before they really had a chance to establish themselves. Hunter, Hartley, Roach, Lee Walker, Rusling, Davidson, Brad Dick.

Hate seeing such wasted talent.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 am

jackcass wrote:
prawnstar wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Three seasons

2011 draft
Pick 50 - Jackson Paine
Pick 65 - Corey Gault
Pick 67 - Jarrod Witts

Five seasons

2009 draft
30 - Luke Ball
62 - Ben Sinclair
75 - Josh Thomas
85 - Simon Buckley

I think you need to look at the full draft - trade picture rather than just 1 aspect. Highlighted players still at the club.

Three seasons

2011 draft
Pick 25 - Trade GWS - Marty Clarke, Jamie Elliott, Pick 67
Pick 47 - Trade GCS - Peter Yagmoor & Pick 50
Pick 50 - Jackson Paine
Pick 65 - Corey Gault
Pick 67 - Jarrod Witts
RD 17 - Lachlan Smith
RD 35 - Marly Williams
RD 53 - Trent Stubbs
RD 70 - Daniel Farmer
RD 81 - Caolan Mooney
RD 87 - Michael Harley

Draft heavily comprimised by GWS early draft picks but if you went into the drafting period and were told you'd have Elliott, Witts and Williams longer term I think you be happier than a B rating. Gault still specualtive. Lets also wait and see how the Paine - Karnezis trade plays out. As a footnote, also lost John McCarthy to Port in the PSD for nothing. Shame Hartley's shoulders weren't any good as I think he could have been a player. Hopefully he gets another chance in the rookie draft.

Five seasons

2009 draft
14 & 46 - Trade to Sydney - Darren Jolly
30 - Luke Ball
62 - Ben Sinclair
75 - Josh Thomas
85 - Simon Buckley
RD18 - Thomas Hunter
RD34 - Jack Carter
RD47 - Seamus McNamara

Rookie draft in 2009 highly comprimised as GCS had so many early picks. Ball and Jolly won us a flag in 2010 so you'd always see that as a win. That Thomas and Sinclair are the only 2 who remain on the list going into 2015 is probably a little under what you'd like but as a trade off for the 2010 flag it's not too bad. You'd have to see who was taken at 14, 30, and 46 to see if we could have been better placed longer term.

PS - was it Hunter who got the neck injury and had to retire early?

Thanks for the detail and more accurate perspective Jackass…

Elliot is really outstanding given how new he really is… I have him already as A grade…maybe just A- but expect this year and future years to be a certain A grader and AA.

Witts and Williams also have huge potential - so I would give that draft an 'A' from 2011. With lots of potential, whereas 2009 was about short term and deserved an 'A' but it does not have the long term potential of the 2011 draft.

Our recruiters have done a good job - now the coaching staff and senior players etc have to help deliver a team that maximises the clear talent available on our list!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:53 am

There was an interesting article in the Sunday Age about the importance of later picks to team success.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/late-picks-more-important-than-first-rounders-in-longterm-success-says-draft-data-20141129-11v9ea.html

We've performed above average for 1st round picks but below average on 2nd & 3rd round picks and success with these picks appears to be a predictor of longer term sustained success. Hopefully our more recent draft efforts turn our performances with these picks around.

Doesn't extend the discussion to really late picks and rookie draft success which my gut tells me we've been better at.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:09 pm

How many Rookie draft picks have we got? 3? We tend to do very well here and I'm looking forward to seeing what Dekka comes up with. One of our big problems has been other clubs finding out who we're interested in. Given that Dekka, along with Graham Wright (another great ex-pie) at Hawthorn, are considered the best identifiers of talent in the game, its no surprise that several of the guys we've been looking at have been poached by other clubs suspiciously early. This year Boekhorst and Lonie got a lot of attention from Dekka and were picked way earlier than predicted by Carlton and StKilda. Are we telegraphing who we want too much? Or do we have leaks? Or is it all just a clever fake-out by Dekka?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:11 pm

35forever wrote:
How many Rookie draft picks have we got? 3? We tend to do very well here and I'm looking forward to seeing what Dekka comes up with. One of our big problems has been other clubs finding out who we're interested in. Given that Dekka, along with Graham Wright (another great ex-pie) at Hawthorn, are considered the best identifiers of talent in the game, its no surprise that several of the guys we've been looking at have been poached by other clubs suspiciously early. This year Boekhorst and Lonie got a lot of attention from Dekka and were picked way earlier than predicted by Carlton and StKilda. Are we telegraphing who we want too much? Or do we have leaks? Or is it all just a clever fake-out by Dekka?

We have 3 picks, but one is already committed to re-rookying Armstrong, which leaves us with 2 picks.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-12-02/hines-rookie-draft-preview
Greeningsrevenge2010 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:25 am

Only 2 clubs (Lions and Gold Coast) got a higher rating than us

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-04/pelchens-analysis

Collingwood
Any club facing the loss of players such as Luke Ball, Dayne Beams, Ben Hudson, Heritier Lumumba, Quinten Lynch and Nick Maxwell in the one year would fear what the future may hold – but it’s anything but that for the Magpies. They have done an exceptional job of managing their list through transitional change and the coming years are bright. Don’t expect miracles next season but 2016 onwards should be positive for a team who did extremely well to secure Levi Greenwood and Travis Varcoe in the trade period and then Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard and Matthew Goodyear in the one draft.

2014 Trade/Draft Period Rating: B+
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Perfect draft for us, almost every player fills a need, all bar one have good foot skills and all are nice size.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Moore, these kids, freeman, scharenberg, will all be a vital part of our next premiership team, circa 2016 !

Yeah, man, dare I say it. Our new Riewoldt, Dangerfield and Goddard murdering them. I'm feeling it.

(Moore's pace, skills below his knees, big roost, the way he works reminds me of Roo). Other two need to prove to me/us what I think they can be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: