Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Disfunctional entries & disfunctional forward line

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I was very concerned about the match on Sunday.. And I couldnt careless if it was only a Nab cup game. No matter what game you play in, it doesnt take extra effort to make the right decisions!

The ball exited our forward with ease & they run it out with ease by foot. Our backline bombed it in constantly & how foot skills simply havent improved and wont!

When will recruiters and people realise you cant teach good foot skills, you ethier have it or you dont

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Our foot skills are deplorable.
It is no good getting one or two years of draft picks with good foot skills and then in the next few get picks who have endurance or height or power or whatever but poor foot skills.
It boils down to how highly do you rate good foot skills in relation to the other abilities? Clearly we don't take foot skills to be of the highest priority.
it is a compromise after all.
So we get things like 50% kicking efficiency at quarter time and I wonder to myself - when are we going to employ the next butcher!

Last edited by thompsoc on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:54 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Our foot skills are deplorable.
It is no good getting one or two years of draft picks with good foot skills and then in the next few get picks who have endurance or height or power or whatever but poor foot skills.
It boils down to how highly do you rate good foot skills in relation to the other abilities? Clearly we don't take foot skills to be of the highest priority.
it is a compromise after all.
So we get things like 50% kicking efficiency at quarter time and I wonder to myself - when we are going to employ the next butcher!

Our team in 2010 was littered with players with poor foot skills. Tooves, Brown, Shaw, Goldsack, Blair, Ball, Swan, Cloke, Sidebottom..... Didn't stop them winning a premiership.

Not every player needs to be elite!
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:49 pm

^^ Shaw has generally good foot skills. Same with Sidey.

And we almost lost the phucking thing due to poor kicking for goal!

And we actually did lose 2002 gf because of Tarrant's poor kicking for goal.

Not every player needs to be elite but you can't carry too many sub-par kicks in the one team. Well, you can, but you ain't gonna win too many games.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
On the other hand, Brett Favre could throw it 60 yards onto Clokey's chest, every single time. Just sayin'.

Sure he can "throw"60 meters but can he hand-ball 30?

If not I reckon we should stick with big Cox!
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Wrong thread
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 pm

i agree Stupied
E 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:53 am

Tannin wrote:
I don't see it as trivial, Thomsoc. I see every day a little bit bloody more of wonderful Australia being taken away by bloody Yankland. We can't win such an unequal fight, the bastards will destroy this place by turning it into the western suburbs of Texas eventually, but I'm damned if I will ever surrender. I'll keep speaking Australian English for as long as I live, and I'll never, ever stop resisting every "lootenant" and every "I am pissed" unless it means drunk, and every attempt to turn Aussie Rules into Gridiron or basketball (or Soccer!) and every other illiterate Americanism. I never, ever high five anyone. If I want to say "well done mate" I'll look you in the eye and shake you by the hand like an Australian. And I'll bloody mean it.

All that said, and on the other hand, the poor bugger who gets the best view of the bombs coming down isn't in the air force anyway, it's Private Snodkins of the army who gets the bombs landed on his head!

And with that said, if Cloke would try leading for a pass instead of wrestling in the goal square all day, someone would get amongst the goals. Maybe him, maybe one of the smalls, doesn't matter, just so long as there is some movement and unpredictability in our forward line. Or perhaps we could put Elliott at CHF and Gault at FF to take the speccies and play Cloke as a small - he seems pretty good at crumbing to Gault!

Tannin, just sit back down on your fanny and keep rooting for the magpies!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 am

It's not the big guy's fault - really - he was apparently carrying a knee condition last year which would have drastically reduced his mobility.

If you look at those two NAB cup squads you would hardly call either one of them our preferred starting lineups for regular season games - by a country mile.

It's NAB cup guys - no silverware and no points - and especially for a young and building team like we are an opportunity to give fringe and young players a taste of big time footy (sort of) which we did.

Come round 1 I expect to see a vasty different lineup and mindset as the best and most in form players take their posts to start the season proper.

Our biggest challenge isn't the forward line but our disrupted mid field which has been decimated with the loss of both Ball and Beams - and to a lesser extent the injury disruptions in recent seasons of both Pendles (who had a pretty serious leg injury to overcome) and Swanny. Our balance and flow has been seriously disrupted but with both Swanny and Pendles returning to full fitness and Adams growing into the Ball role there are grounds to expect a much improved showing from the midfield this year.

I think the main key is to have the ball in the hands of our best users when attempting entry into the F50 and this means we need those Adams, Greenwoods etc., in and under handballing it out to the Pendles and Co for controlled and targetted entry into the F50.

We've had a couple of severely injury hampered seasons in a row, hopefully this years pre season continues its trend for us and we field a close to full strength lineup for the majority of the year. If we can keep 75% of our best team on the park for the majority of the season we should make the 8.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:02 am

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:
I don't see it as trivial, Thomsoc. I see every day a little bit bloody more of wonderful Australia being taken away by bloody Yankland. We can't win such an unequal fight, the bastards will destroy this place by turning it into the western suburbs of Texas eventually, but I'm damned if I will ever surrender. I'll keep speaking Australian English for as long as I live, and I'll never, ever stop resisting every "lootenant" and every "I am pissed" unless it means drunk, and every attempt to turn Aussie Rules into Gridiron or basketball (or Soccer!) and every other illiterate Americanism. I never, ever high five anyone. If I want to say "well done mate" I'll look you in the eye and shake you by the hand like an Australian. And I'll bloody mean it.

All that said, and on the other hand, the poor bugger who gets the best view of the bombs coming down isn't in the air force anyway, it's Private Snodkins of the army who gets the bombs landed on his head!

And with that said, if Cloke would try leading for a pass instead of wrestling in the goal square all day, someone would get amongst the goals. Maybe him, maybe one of the smalls, doesn't matter, just so long as there is some movement and unpredictability in our forward line. Or perhaps we could put Elliott at CHF and Gault at FF to take the speccies and play Cloke as a small - he seems pretty good at crumbing to Gault!

Tannin, just sit back down on your fanny and keep rooting for the magpies!

I prefer to have the fannies sitting on me, Mr E, and I've been dutifully rooting to breed a few more Magpies all my life. Well, most of it. Smile

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/fanny

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=root

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:04 am

3.14159 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
On the other hand, Brett Favre could throw it 60 yards onto Clokey's chest, every single time. Just sayin'.

Good question. Will we pass around the hat for the price of a test handball (probably around $9.9 Million signing on bonus, plus plus plus), so that we can find out? Wink
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:01 am

roar wrote:

Not every player needs to be elite but you can't carry too many sub-par kicks in the one team. Well, you can, but you ain't gonna win too many games.

Shaw and Sidey can both be very very good, equally between them they generate more than their fair share of face palm moments. They seem to have the greatest range between their good and bad and are consistently inconsistent.
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Yeah, that's true.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:01 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed. Favre might be a great thrower, but even at my age, I would still be the best kicker on any team Brett Favre was on (in his prime or otherwise).

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 pm

roar wrote:

We lost the the 2002 GF because we were one quality midfielder short. Licuria, O'Bree not quite up to the same class as Voss, Black, Aker and Power etc. Buckley having to do too much on his own. Tarrant wasn't getting the ball in the wet. Rocca did everything he could. Grand finals are won in the midfield because if the ball doesn't come down to the forward line how can you kick goals. Buddy Franklin couldn't win it for Sydney last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: