Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Corey Gault

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambiguous: "Sure" or I couldn't think of anything else to say.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Stinger wrote:
I think he looks pretty good leading out from full forward. Looks faster on the lead than Cloke, can take a good grab and an accurate kick. He also allows Cloke to get up the field more and open up the forward line.

No a fan of his rucking but he's competitive and provides a contest - but is a backup only.

He is a Tad Short for a Ruckman these days

200 cm is short?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:28 pm

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:
E wrote:
time will tell if he can handle the step up in intensity during real games

You weren't paying attention last year then?

I take it you are suggesting his 5 touch performance against the hawks in the last round of the year when we played our reserves team and the hawks just wanted a nice easy hit out before the finals proves he is ready to play consistent 4 quarter footy for 22 weeks a year where teams actually bother to learn his name much less game plan to stop him......

Yeah, he proved everything last year mate. nice work....

He played one "real game" and handled the step-up in intensity with aplomb. 1 from 1 is usually considered a decent return.

Since then he's played two practice matches and done well in both of them. So far, the kid hasn't put a foot wrong, so get off my case.

Of course, as you say, it's a long step from making a good start in senior football to proving yourself a dependable all-year-long player and not every youngster makes it. Just the same, in our last three games (counting NAB practice matches as "games" here) he's been our best and indeed only consistent tall forward. I don't want to overburden the kid with expectations, but I reckon it's time we got serious about a post-Cloke forward setup. I see Gault and Elliott as keys, a continuing role for Cloke if he can find some form and figure out a way to stop the endless helicopter suicide passes to him from the midfied, and perhaps some new blood in the form of Fasolo (could be exactly what we need, but has a record of inconsistency; that needs to change), Karnesis (is he up to it? I honestly don't know) and Broomhead (been out of sorts so far this year, and might wind up a full-time mid, but certainly has the class we miss).

What about Varcoe? He concerns me a bit. The good Varcoe would be exactly what we need, but we've only seen the bad Varcoe in the practice games. I'd love him to hit form once the season proper gets underway, 'coz at his best he is devastating.

Sadly, we seem to have a long and sorry history of picking up experienced middle-tier players who look set for a new lease of life at their new club and wind up being list-cloggers. When was the last time one of our middle-tier recruits really paid off? Lee Brown, I reckon. White hasn't done much and is 50/50 on selection if everyone is fit; Young hasn't worked; Lynch played just the one great game; who have I forgotten?

(Jolly and Ball were established champions; they don't count in this context.)

PS: not a mature recruit, but while I'm on the subject, I have my eye on Crisp. He'll need to get more of the pill over time, but I like the cut of his jib. Good size, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and a bit of toe as well. Be interesting to see if he can make a mark.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:24 am

Tannin wrote:
E wrote:
Tannin wrote:
E wrote:
time will tell if he can handle the step up in intensity during real games

You weren't paying attention last year then?

I take it you are suggesting his 5 touch performance against the hawks in the last round of the year when we played our reserves team and the hawks just wanted a nice easy hit out before the finals proves he is ready to play consistent 4 quarter footy for 22 weeks a year where teams actually bother to learn his name much less game plan to stop him......

Yeah, he proved everything last year mate. nice work....

He played one "real game" and handled the step-up in intensity with aplomb. 1 from 1 is usually considered a decent return.

Since then he's played two practice matches and done well in both of them. So far, the kid hasn't put a foot wrong, so get off my case.

Of course, as you say, it's a long step from making a good start in senior football to proving yourself a dependable all-year-long player and not every youngster makes it. Just the same, in our last three games (counting NAB practice matches as "games" here) he's been our best and indeed only consistent tall forward. I don't want to overburden the kid with expectations, but I reckon it's time we got serious about a post-Cloke forward setup. I see Gault and Elliott as keys, a continuing role for Cloke if he can find some form and figure out a way to stop the endless helicopter suicide passes to him from the midfied, and perhaps some new blood in the form of Fasolo (could be exactly what we need, but has a record of inconsistency; that needs to change), Karnesis (is he up to it? I honestly don't know) and Broomhead (been out of sorts so far this year, and might wind up a full-time mid, but certainly has the class we miss).

What about Varcoe? He concerns me a bit. The good Varcoe would be exactly what we need, but we've only seen the bad Varcoe in the practice games. I'd love him to hit form once the season proper gets underway, 'coz at his best he is devastating.

Sadly, we seem to have a long and sorry history of picking up experienced middle-tier players who look set for a new lease of life at their new club and wind up being list-cloggers. When was the last time one of our middle-tier recruits really paid off? Lee Brown, I reckon. White hasn't done much and is 50/50 on selection if everyone is fit; Young hasn't worked; Lynch played just the one great game; who have I forgotten?

(Jolly and Ball were established champions; they don't count in this context.)

PS: not a mature recruit, but while I'm on the subject, I have my eye on Crisp. He'll need to get more of the pill over time, but I like the cut of his jib. Good size, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and a bit of toe as well. Be interesting to see if he can make a mark.

I'm not on your case Tannin. I didnt for example pluck one line from a generally positive post about a young player's development and accuse you of not paying attention...... others might do that, but not me mate!

I will simply repeat. Gault has shown a bit (both in the practice match we played against Hawthorn in round 23 last year and in the 2 NAB cup games this year). Time will tell if he can handle the step up in intensity during real games........

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 am

Didaksgoal wrote:
Ramsay, Gault, and Crisp will make the grade, really impressed at this stage.

Clearly you're not worried about poor disposal as an impediment to our game?

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:59 am

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Stinger wrote:
I think he looks pretty good leading out from full forward. Looks faster on the lead than Cloke, can take a good grab and an accurate kick. He also allows Cloke to get up the field more and open up the forward line.

No a fan of his rucking but he's competitive and provides a contest - but is a backup only.

That he is, but not by a lot. He's not really competing against Witts, Grundy and Cox for a spot as a ruckman, but against White and Keeffe for a KPP who can take a turn in the ruck. of those three White is the shortest and the best ruckman.

We most likely play both Grundy and Witts in the Same team so we would not really need the KPP that can play Ruck

the coach indicated otherwise in his press conference. Sometimes WItts and grundy, sometimes one of them with a pinch hitter.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:59 am

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Stinger wrote:

That he is, but not by a lot. He's not really competing against Witts, Grundy and Cox for a spot as a ruckman, but against White and Keeffe for a KPP who can take a turn in the ruck. of those three White is the shortest and the best ruckman.

We most likely play both Grundy and Witts in the Same team so we would not really need the KPP that can play Ruck

the coach indicated otherwise in his press conference. Sometimes WItts and grundy, sometimes one of them with a pinch hitter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: