Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Have We Improved?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't looked like beating Hawthorn in 4 years, the fact we had them on toast while they're still as strong as ever is enough for me to say we've improved. That and we haven't really been belted in any game we've lost except for 1 or 2.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:51 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
We haven't looked like beating Hawthorn in 4 years, the fact we had them on toast while they're still as strong as ever is enough for me to say we've improved. That and we haven't really been belted in any game we've lost except for 1 or 2.

True that

It's a shame the win loss doesn't reflect the scores more

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:06 am

We are playing better footy then last year and easily.

You don't sack coaches halfway through a rebuild unless things go direly wrong, we aren't at that point yet.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm in no doubt that we've improved considerably this season and I'm confident Bucks has on the right path to a period of sustained success. However, given our similar age profile, I'd like to know why the
Bulldogs have performed so much better than us this year? Has their recruiting been better than ours, or have they got a better coach? Or maybe, they'll be like Port; something of a flash in the pan, only to slide down the ladder next year?

They have had access to better picks lots of top 5s.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:36 am

thompsoc wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
As much as I hate statistics- you have clearly pointed out what any rational football supporter would realise.

We have improved greatly from last year- and are well placed heading into the next few seasons.

We have improved offensively and defensively.

5 games lost lost by under 2 goals- all against top teams.

That said- the haters will hate- some people are only happy in life when they are miserable.

What a miserable post.
But actually the only improvement I see this year is Varcoe and Crisp and Adams.
All the other draft picks we've had over the last 5 or 6 years have not improved us as a team at the moment.

perhaps you need some (new) glasses Grumpelstilskin.

you do make me laugh though Very Happy

The haters of the haters always make me chuckle.
They are an enigma wrapped in a riddle.
Or maybe they are just stupid
It is hard to tell from this position.

I don't hate you- I just pity you.

Perhaps if you're 'position' allowed anything other than pessimism and cynicism (including the odd 'chuckle' at your own cleverness), you may be able to see beyond everyone else's stupidity.

Most of us here are would define ourselves as SUPPORTers- the key to this definition is in the base word SUPPORT.

Enjoy your Sunday- although it's likely you won't.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 am

Have we improved? Who knows? Half our team was injured last year so there was no way of knowing how good they were.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:39 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
As much as I hate statistics- you have clearly pointed out what any rational football supporter would realise.

We have improved greatly from last year- and are well placed heading into the next few seasons.

That said- the haters will hate- some people are only happy in life when they are miserable.

What a miserable post.
But actually the only improvement I see this year is Varcoe and Crisp and Adams.
All the other draft picks we've had over the last 5 or 6 years have not improved us as a team at the moment.

You should be a Luberal party spin doctor, or maybe a Herald Sun columnist.

Thanks for the complement!
There is more spin on Nicks than the famous Gatting ball!
But seriously how could anyone take a Poster who spits out hateful messages against the so called haters with anything but contempt!
Just calling them haters is pathetic!
And I didn't start it but I will push back and give as much as I take.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:41 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:

Damn straight- around 07-09 we couldn't get near the HAwks ( well 07 we got close)- they always looked too good.

We have clearly bridged the gap between our best and worst- we are only mildly schizophrenic- unlike North who are full blown.

But we can't let facts get in the way of a good story.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:54 am

matrix10 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
matrix10 wrote:

What a miserable post.

I don't hate you- I just pity you.

Perhaps if you're 'position' allowed anything other than pessimism and cynicism (including the odd 'chuckle' at your own cleverness), you may be able to see beyond everyone else's stupidity.

Most of us here are would define ourselves as SUPPORTers- the key to this definition is in the base word SUPPORT.

Enjoy your Sunday- although it's likely you won't.

Dear Mr or Mrs Matrix or whatever you are.
First of all if you haven't noticed Nicks is a forum and not a cheer squad.
Do you get the difference!
I really love it when the old " are you a supporter" gets rolled out!
It is so original that every political party for yonks uses it.
And then there is the feigned pity, oh give me a break oh moral one.
First you bag people and when you get bagged back you take the holy approach!
Why don't you just be honest and say exactly what you think.
I'm a big boy, I don't care what you say about me but please don't hide behind the holy than thou approach taken by many posters on Nicks.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:24 am

Haters gotta hate so forget em.

For YEARS now we have laboured under the yoke of poor kicking for goal, it's time we fixed it - and properly at that.

Firstly we need a real goal kicking coach and we need some straight kickers of course. Sadly our mids have also been getting a beating - it's partly due to players being out injured or carrying injuries but it does highlight a slight lack of quality depth in this area as well.

What's the minimum we can get away with?

We need a genuine goal kicking KPF - if necessary throw the kitchen sink at him to land him. This really should be non-negotiable as every team needs a 'go-to' KPF - Cloke doesn't fit because he's too bloody unreliable in front of the big sticks - so it's up to Bucks, Hine and Co to scour the country to find one for us.

We desperately need improvement in the specialty coaching roles, most especially in the forward line and goal kicking areas. If needs be Bucks needs to swallow his pride - or shelve his perfectionism - and take a part time, proven kicking coach.

After that we need to look at improving the depth quality of our midfield stocks - let us not forget that Swan is near the end and Pendles isn't far behind - they may be fine at the moment but we need replacements very soon.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:42 am

Interesting OP.

Injuries have cruelled them, but have we got enough out of our recent high draft picks? Plenty of upside if we can get them on the park playing as we hope.

2012 #18 Grundy 7, 15, 16 =38 games
2012 #19 Kennedy 12, 8, 4 = 24 games (many as sub)
2012 #20 Broomhead 0, 8, 11 = 19 games
2013 #6 Scharenberg 0, 2 = 2 games
2013 #10 Freemen 0, 0 = 0 games
2014 #5 De Goey 13 games
2014 #9 Moore 6 games

They have played only 102 out of a possible 330 games to date or 31% of games. Without doing the analysis, I would guess that the average for top 20 draft picks is well above 50% (especially midfield types).

This lack of getting games into our high draft picks (mainly through injury) may be why the the publicly mooted premiership window is creeping backwards.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:27 am

swoop42 wrote:
You can add Adelaide to the dogs as another relatively young group who have exceeded our performances this season.

Who knows what they might have achieved without the Walsh tragedy.

Richmond and West Coast one season ahead in terms of age profile I guess but Simpson is only in his second season.

The most telling of stats that you have provided would be in relation to our disposal and mark ranking.

These would indicate we have put far more emphasis on moving the ball via handball this season.

I've put together my own stat.

We've fared better than I imagined but not surprising who is top 2.

Average disposals per goal ratio:

Hawthorn 24.16
West Coast 25.04
Nth Melb 25.84
Adelaide 26.43
Port Adelaide 27.59
Collingwood 27.63
W. Bulldogs 27.65
Geelong 27.95
Gold Coast 29.54
Fremantle 30.21
GWS 30.29
Richmond 30.64
St Kilda 31.61
Sydney 31.90
Melbourne 32.51
Carlton 33.96
Brisbane 36.39
Essendon 36.89

If we did a chart showing average disposals per scoring shot it would highlight our biggest problem. We are inefficient in front of goals.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:11 pm

That's an interesting point you make, too, MightyMagpie.

From 2013, it is desperately disappointing that Freeman hasn't been on the park at all and I confess to being fairly underwhelmed by Scharenberg, so far (although I readily accept that he hasn't played much footy in the last three seasons, so he's coming from a long way back). Nevertheless, in that draft, we also recruited Langdon and Marsh with our remaining picks and they both look much more likely to have impressive careers than most players taken in the pick 20s.

From the previous draft, Grundy has been solid, Broomhead has looked like he will be a player and the jury is still out on Kennedy (although I am not as negative as many others because I know he can use the football well - I just don't know why he can't when he's in the seniors - it isn't just the pace of the game because he suddenly ceases to be able to perform set kicks from marks and frees, as well). In 2012, Collingwood also recruited Ramsay, Oxley and Frost, all of whom have looked capable at times, along with Dwyer, who was recruited for the short-term and did a solid job in the role that was required of him.

Thus, the games from players recruited in 2012 (137) so far is 8th, without allowing for the number of picks (so, we took 5, whereas the Kangas took 9, GWS took 8, Footscray took 7 etc) and is probably a fair bit better than average. The 76 games so far from our 2013 recruits is also mid-table. Last year's draft presently looks "better" with the first three recruits (De Goey, Moore and Maynard) all playing a number of senior games and looking like footballers.

To put a little flesh on the bones of that debate, Footscray is presently out in front with its 2012 recruiting but that is because it has a combined 95 games from picks 5 and 6 and 31 games from a F/S, so the 26 from its pick 21 is about comparable to Kennedy or Broomhead and well behind Grundy. Melbourne also did very well (just behind Footscray) but it had picks 2 and 4 and a F/S (Viney) who was widely touted as one of the top few players in that draft.

By contrast, Footscray is way behind us with games played by its 2013 picks (although Bontempelli, taken before our first draft pick, is obviously a great player).

Of course, the long-run is the thing with all of those recruits and, at the moment, it's too early to tell whether we have recruited a dynasty or a great VFL team.

But, on what I've seen, it looks to me like Collingwood has drafted or rookied 9 players who all look appear to be capable of performing as long-term senior players (De Goey, Moore, Maynard, Langdon, Marsh, Grundy, Broomhead, Ramsay and Frost). That's without taking into account Kennedy, Oxley, Scharenberg, Freeman or the 4 picked later last year, none of whom have yet been on the senior park (Goodyear, Manteit, Abbott and Cox).

I have based the figures I've used on this (you probably know this but I mention it for anyone else that would like to have a look at these issues for themselves):

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_draft_summaries?year=2012&t=N&s=G

I haven't checked how up to date it is (although it does have the same numbers as you for each of the 7 players you've listed) but it is a useful historical record of drafting for anyone who is interested. The summary information across clubs is also available there.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah our second round and later (including rookie) picks have fared pretty well ... the old Hine specials.

I guess my focus was aimed at the top end (expected to be more elite) talent. While none of them are confirmed busts yet, we have struggled to get them on the park and I have no doubt that has affected our performances to date and will affect how quickly we can move back into premiership contention.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:10 pm

The dogs making Melbourne look like the rabble they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: