Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New TV rights deal

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the $ from this deal to clubs makes the so called tax on the wealthier clubs redundant?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:09 pm

watt price tully wrote:
I'm wondering if the $ from this deal to clubs makes the so called tax on the wealthier clubs redundant?

possibly. if the afl opts to buy eithad early then the current supposedly unenviable stadiums deals would be improved. this, in turn, might contribute to a lessening of the tax. does the afl wait until it gets the stadium for $1 or spend a few hundred million to change things now?

Precarious 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Lazza wrote:
Can someone please tell me if the Saturday afternoon game (on whichever channel shows it) HAS to be delayed on TV?

The game itself will be played at 3:20, so not delayed if shown FTA. In other words, sounds like the Saturday schedule will now be something like 1:45, 3:20, 4:40 ... rather than 1:45, 2:10, 4:40 ...
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:15 pm

I read it as Channel 7 will show 4 games a week in rounds that include a Thursday night game or public holiday game (could be up to 12 although a couple might include split rounds) and 3 games every other round.

Foxtel can offload the 3.20 Sat game to FTA TV for $30m a year. Nine has baulked at it. Well it's rumoured that Ch10 might pick it up, however they are a financial basket case, do they even have $30m to spend? SBS has more hope of buying the rights.

Precarious 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:37 pm

^ Yep, that's how I read it too.

I think Fox on-selling to Ten will mainly be contingent on the ACCC permitting the News Corp buy-in into Ten.

If the buy-in is permitted, on-selling to Ten would give News a greater presence in FTA (which maybe they want considering the likely long term viability of pay TV?) and also a platform from which to plug Fox Footy and other Foxtel stuff in the meantime.
Precarious 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Purely speculation, but the way things have played out in recent years, it looks like the big media players (and probably govt) are smoothing the transition away from as strong an emphasis on pay TV (which you'd think will struggle to compete long term given technological changes) in a way that enables NewsCorp, Telstra and others to get profits out of old investments before moving over to the new.

Ten was basically neutered by Packer and Murdoch, for instance, which had been building a free sports channel on One. This not only bought time for Foxtel, keeping its subscription model viable for a bit longer, but has made it cheaper to buy in to Ten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: