Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Young Grundy still Clumsy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
NicNat smashed both our rucks.
He will get 3 brownlow votes for today.
It was depressing to watch.
Showed how far he is behind the best.

Even though, an interesting contest put up by the bloke (22y.o) who hasn't even played 50 games against a pretty good ruckman (26y.o) who's in his 8th season and arguably, at his peak.
If you look at Naitanuis first 46 games, its's even more interesting.
He was Averaging; 12.9 disposals and 17 hitouts, with Dean Cox as his mentor. Remembering the umpire factor here also, Nic had a +15 disposals thanks to the umpires where Brodies so far is - 27 (granted, there's been a few sloppy ones given away, but please Rolling Eyes )

I think people are way too quick to knock this young fella.

God help Big Mason Cox if he has an average game, people will want him deported on here.

Brodie Grundy- 46 games... - 6.7 Avg Kicks - 6.9 Avg H/Ball - 13.6 Avg Disposals - 3 Avg Marks - 21.6 Avg H/outs - 3.9 Avg Tackles - 62 FF - 89 FA..... Has kicked 14.17

Nick Naitanui - 137 games... - 4.8 Avg Kicks - 7.4 Avg H/Ball - 12.2 Avg Disposals - 1.9 Avg Marks - 23.6 Avg H/outs - 3.6 Avg Tackles - FF 208 - FA 159.... Has kicked 92.60
Shocked

They both also had very different routes to the AFL;

Brodie - A former basketball player, Grundy switched to Australian rules football in 2010.[2] Following a successful season playing as a ruckman with South Australian National Football League (SANFL) club Sturt's junior teams, Grundy was recruited by Collingwood with draft pick #18 in the 2012 AFL Draft.

Grundy was the Round 22 nomination for the 2013 AFL Rising Star award.

Nic - He took up playing football at the age of nine, when he began playing for the Midvale Junior Football Club. As a child, he lived on Bushby Street in Midvale, along with Michael Walters and Chris Yarran, who would both go on to play AFL football, for Fremantle and Carlton, respectively.[5] Two further future AFL players, David Ellard and Jeff Garlett (both Carlton), also played with Naitanui, Walters and Yarran at the Midvale Junior Football Club.[6]

Naitanui attended Governor Stirling Senior High School and played football there, as well as for his club, the Swan Districts Colts (underage) side in the West Australian Football League (WAFL). During his time in junior and colts football, he played predominantly in the ruck, however he also was used on the wing or at full-back.[7] Naitanui also excelled at basketball and track and field events, particularly high jump, and was asked by recruiters to trial with American universities, but declined to do so.[8]

In the 2007 Under-18 AFL National Championships, Naitanui was dominant in the ruck for Western Australia, and was named Best On Ground in the final. Following his performance, he was hotly pursued by several AFL clubs. However, he was born just a few days too late to qualify for the 2007 AFL draft.[9] He was named in the Under-18 All-Australian Team in both 2007 and 2008, and was awarded a scholarship with the Australian Institute of Sport to become a member of the AIS/AFL Academy Squad.[10][11]

A much-hyped Naitanui was invited to the 2008 AFL Draft Camp and his results were impressive. He managed to equal the running vertical jump record previously set by Jared Brennan, but just fell short of Trent Croad's standing jump record. His sprint, agility and endurance tests were also impressive.

Many media commentators believed that Naitanui was in contention to be taken as the number 1 pick in the 2008 AFL Draft.[7] The Melbourne Football Club, who retained that pick, had looked at Naitanui, but raised concerns about his skill level, in particular his kicking, and instead selected Victorian Jack Watts.

some commentators and analysts have suggested nicnat has under performed against expectations. doubting whether grundy will be up to it when he matures is not the debate but more what he offers right now. if the team was performing well with grundy's current output there'd be less discussion; that the team's performances are being viewed as sub-optimal his performance will be put under the microscope like everything else. at the moment, we're not getting first use of the ball so where do we go to ensure that changes? we go to the source. who's at the source?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Well , the 'source' had; 21 disposals, took 4 marks, had 15 hit outs and laid 5 tackles. (nat - 14, 1, 30 & 3).

I'm not disputing the discussion, I'm merely highlighting that the kid áint half bad and i'm SURE, will go on to bigger and better things. But, hey yeah, let's just put the boots in now, it's the Nicks way Wink

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:51 pm

the source is the contest at the stoppage which we are losing badly. irrespective of who is at the source if things aren't working then it needs to be changed. if we're not getting the tap outs and also not being able to win the clearance off the opposition then we should look first at trying to win the tap outs and tap outs to advantage. it doesn't matter if it's grundy, witts, cox or even cloke in that role, if it's falling down then you need to change things up.
Rickshaw 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Post subject: RobbieReply with quote

Below is an URL detailing Peter Moore's career stats .Brownlow winner 1979 and 1984. Note his early years and his overall average disposals for his career.
Grundy not doing too bad for a young ruckman.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/P/Peter_Moore.html
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Well, maybe - except that Moore played as a key defender (CHB) and forward-pocket (he had a few hit-outs but only really at the boundary throw-ins) until he went into the first ruck in late 1978, early 1979 when Big Len finally hit the wall. So in 1977, he starred as a tall-forward and 1978 did so again, until he had to take on the ruck late in the year. Unsurprisingly, his disposal tally picked up when he started playing as the genuine follower. Also, when he went to Melbourne, he did win a Brownlow and remained a star for them but he spent an awful lot of time playing as a very tall, very athletic loose man across the middle, effectively a giant wingman, rather than a genuine ruck, sort of like an extraordinarily quick, skilful version of Shane whatshisname.

Anyway, I think these sorts of comparisons across the ages are generally silly. As I pointed out half-jokingly elsewhere, Langdon gets more of the footy than Daicos did. Now, I like Langdon but I think we both know who would get picked first out of those two.

Finally - and I say this without at all intending to be unkind to Grundy, Moore was a once-in-a-lifetime player, in terms of his size, spring, pace and footy skills. None of that really gets measured in the stats, in any era.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Is Dave okay? Been some interesting posts about his boys and he hasn't responded to any of them.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:39 pm

John Wren wrote:
the source is the contest at the stoppage which we are losing badly. irrespective of who is at the source if things aren't working then it needs to be changed. if we're not getting the tap outs and also not being able to win the clearance off the opposition then we should look first at trying to win the tap outs and tap outs to advantage. it doesn't matter if it's grundy, witts, cox or even cloke in that role, if it's falling down then you need to change things up.

We lost clearances badly against the Eagles (mostly for two quarters), it hasn't been an issue in every game.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 am

This is an Interesting bump... not many gave Grundy a hope of staying on our list, let alone being an All Australian!
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I was at his very first game against GWS. I think he was a late inclusion and right away I saw a star. His second efforts were there from the get-go and you could just tell he was going to be much more than just a tap ruckman. He got lots of the ball even then. A rare ruckman that comes along once or twice in a lifetime. The complete package. A ruckman we struggled to find throughout MM's tenure in the 2000s until Jolly came along. It's all the more special that we drafted him rather than trade him in once established.

So I wasn't aware that there was a cabal of supporters who thought he wasn't a very good player and wanted him moved on. They needed to have their collective heads read. Maybe the greatest potential ruckman in a generation and some wanted to give him the flick? Oh, how time makes fools of us all.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 pm

A big thank you to GWS, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Adelaide, North, Freo, Carlton, Port, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Geelong and Richmond for letting him come to Collingwood.

If you re did the 2012 draft Grundy goes top 2 with Whitfield.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:39 pm

SwansWay wrote:
I was at his very first game against GWS. I think he was a late inclusion and right away I saw a star. His second efforts were there from the get-go and you could just tell he was going to be much more than just a tap ruckman. He got lots of the ball even then. A rare ruckman that comes along once or twice in a lifetime. The complete package. A ruckman we struggled to find throughout MM's tenure in the 2000s until Jolly came along. It's all the more special that we drafted him rather than trade him in once established.

So I wasn't aware that there was a cabal of supporters who thought he wasn't a very good player and wanted him moved on. They needed to have their collective heads read. Maybe the greatest potential ruckman in a generation and some wanted to give him the flick? Oh, how time makes fools of us all.

I saw him when he was in utero. I knew then he was a champ. 😉

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:08 pm

SwansWay wrote:

From memory, that was the game where Grundy threw Mumford to the ground in a match of strength on the sidelines, demonstrating his martial arts black belt skills. I knew then, we had a winner on our hands.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Nice bump. How impatient people are. Funny how he gave away so many free kicks and was last getting around on the 3k time trials until kayle Kirby arrived. Was a fantastic modern footballer he has become though.
Good tap ruckman, much improved contested mark, fantastic field kick and great clearance player....and still a fair bit improvement ahead of him

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Skids wrote:
This is an Interesting bump... not many gave Grundy a hope of staying on our list, let alone being an All Australian!

Were there really many who thought he wouldn’t be on the list? He was an obvious gun from his first VFL game (and possibly, as wpt suggested, even earlier).
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 pm

That awkward moment when you scroll through all responses and hope you didn’t contribute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: