Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

In defence of OUR coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
John Wren wrote:
sadly, threads like these are like blood for the sharks that want to feast on the carcass of a sacked coach. i love how some of our so-called supporters are so prepared to sink the boots in and kick the club when it's down. no one has to like what is happening and no one is blind to what is going on but laying the boots in says a lot about people's characters. i hope these same people lau the boots into other people that let them down in other aspects of their lives or are happy to cop a kicking if they ever fail anyone.

They're almost all relatively new posters (even Defender, who I assume to be Bob Sugar, changes his name from time to time) who have no history of posting when things are good. They're just white ants who smell soft wood and the chance to defecate on one of the greatest players ever to pull on the jumper. There are a few exceptions who I regard as genuine Collingwood people - Thompsoc, Dyso - who have been here for a long time and established their credentials as Collingwood supporters by caring and celebrating when we are going well.

The misery-guts' arguments are essentially circular - Buckley cannot coach because we are not winning games, and we are not winning games because he cannot coach. QED. There is no real analysis or acknowledgement of the complex reality that injuries, inexperience, instability, development pathways, role coverage (esp rucks - see "The Agenda" on the club website re this) are all part of the problem ; or the even more salient reality that we do not know what the answer is because we do not have enough information. Maybe it's just Buckley - I just don't know, but I doubt it. He was able to extract strong performances through much of last year before it fell apart through injury.

Your thread is spot on. Nathan Buckley has done more for Collingwood than I ever have, and he deserves some reflexive loyalty as a result. His player moves have been justifiable and generally sound (you forgot letting Thomas go, btw, which was a superb call). Not all bets have worked out because of injuries to Scharenberg and Freeman - both of whom should be experienced players adding value by now - but I think we're in front on the transfer ledger, and that is all that can reasonably be expected.

I have spent years looking at senior executives and I still believe that Buckley is a credible general with an army that has taken too many casualties and needs to regroup to be effective. I will review that assessment at the end of 2016. I still have hope that the year may yield some positive surprises as we stabilise, and as Moore, Cox and Treloar and De Goey and Witts and Adams continue to develop, and the injury gods leave us alone. Side by Side. Floreat Pica, in the good times and the bad.

I've only changed my name once, and I do start positive threads when they warrant it, look them up.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Excellent post Rudeboy. It's easier for people to land cheap shots by being negative than do the hard yards when things are tough. They are the downhill skier type supporters.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Excellent post Rudeboy. It's easier for people to land cheap shots by being negative than do the hard yards when things are tough. They are the downhill skier type supporters.

and say they aren't true Collingwood supporters as we've never heard that one before either.
Jez07 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:32 pm

I attended every home game in 1999, did you?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Jez07 wrote:

Who's? Collingwoods?

Would you like a medal?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Jez07 wrote:

you sick F*^k
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:40 pm

The reality is we all love Bux because he was such a great player - which has clouded the judgement of most collingwood supporters - including Eddie!

Imagine if it was Robert Harvey who was the coach - would he still be there? I was rapt when I first heard we were getting Malthouse because he was a premiership coach.

So there are 2 things to keep in mind when Bux does go - whenever that may be - premiership experience is rare and important but most importantly let's not get a Collingwood player - especially a legend to coach our club again -(unless of course they win flags elsewhere first) overall it just makes objective decision making re their coaching performance and value to hard for mere mortals who bleed black and white!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:47 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
The reality is we all love Bux because he was such a great player - which has clouded the judgement of most collingwood supporters - including Eddie!

Imagine if it was Robert Harvey who was the coach - would he still be there? I was rapt when I first heard we were getting Malthouse because he was a premiership coach.

So there are 2 things to keep in mind when Bux does go - whenever that may be - premiership experience is rare and important but most importantly let's not get a Collingwood player - especially a legend to coach our club again -(unless of course they win flags elsewhere first) overall it just makes objective decision making re their coaching performance and value to hard for mere mortals who bleed black and white!

you do a lot of supporters a disservice by saying their judgement is clouded because of buckley the player. there will be some who can't separate the player from the coach but it's time to move on from this notion.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 pm

No excuses, but for chrissakes, we are bloody crippled with on going injuries, we have a heap of kids with very little games under their belts, and we have around seven senior players way out of form all at once, frost, Langdon, brown, cloke, pendles, crisp, to name a few. This would not change one iota if scott burns took over now, stop gap coaches rarely work. Hopefully, if we can get any semblance of a settled side,w e just might rak up a few wins. Let bucks coach out the season, and if theres no marked improvement, then act, even tony shaw was allowed to coach his last season out.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

and say they aren't true Collingwood supporters as we've never heard that one before either.

It is so one dimensional that it is a laugh a minute.
You are not a true supporter!
Trotted out time and time by the true believers!
The keys to the holden are just over there if only those pesky commo's will only tow the party line.
Well it is not quite as bad as one lollipop brigade member today who spewed forth that great line!
"No one wants to hear your opinion"
Mmmm I might use that as my new motto!

Last edited by thompsoc on Mon May 09, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Jez07 wrote:

Is that how we measure loyalty by how many home games we went to?

I live interstate, get to very few but that is no reflection on my loyalty.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Another excuse thread dressed up as another excuse thread.

If Buckley bled B&W he would walk away now before he destroys any more of our beloved player's careers.

p.s. keep the 1.5Million Bucks Bucks and Buck OFF.

Have you considered that if Buckley was to walk away from the club tomorrow it may leave the club in far greater disarray than if he was to stick it out.

For starters one of the assistant coaches would have to take over till the end of the season. The players will be ashamed that their performances have just got their senior coach sacked. Think what pressure that will make on the assistant coach taking over. The player confidence levels are already low over the Carlton game. Think what their confidence levels will be like under a new coach.

Going by what other clubs do when they sack their senior coach, they usually go outside their club at the end of the season to seek a new coach. So let's say Scott Burns takes over as temporary coach till the end of the season. I'm assuming our injuries continue so we don't win another game for the season. Scott Burns is assumed no better than Buckley by association so his coaching career aspirations are wrecked.

At the end of the season we seek an experienced coaching replacement for Buckley. Roos is returning to the US to live, Clarkson has just signed a coaching extension at Hawthorn and Thompson is a head case.

Not having a viable experienced AFL coach to replace Buckley we are forced to go with one of the untried experienced assistant coaches at another club. The most obvious choices which spring to mind are Leigh Tudor or Stewart Dew.

We have a very inexperienced young team going into the 2017 season. What makes people confident that we are going to go any better under a new coach than we are already under Buckley. If we lose the first few games of next season under a new coach do we get the knives out to assassinate the new coach.

Sounds like Ground Hog day to me.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Jez07 wrote:

So you criticize him for not doing the hard yards and being a downhill skier and then when he responds that he does do the hard yards you still don't accept.
I too agree that a supporter should not be measured by the amount of games they go to.
But you left your jaw wide open there.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Jez07 wrote:

So you criticize him for not doing the hard yards and being a downhill skier and then when he responds that he does do the hard yards you still don't accept.
I too agree that a supporter should not be measured by the amount of games they go to.
But you left your jaw wide open there.

He didn't say he did the hard yards, he said he went to every home game in 1999. I didn't criticise him for that, he is to be congratulated for that. What I was critical of was the fact that now things are tough, the easy option, the soft target of 'sack the coach" gets trotted out like its the answer to our prayers. It's not.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:22 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Another excuse thread dressed up as another excuse thread.

If Buckley bled B&W he would walk away now before he destroys any more of our beloved player's careers.

p.s. keep the 1.5Million Bucks Bucks and Buck OFF.

Have you considered that if Buckley was to walk away from the club tomorrow it may leave the club in far greater disarray than if he was to stick it out.

For starters one of the assistant coaches would have to take over till the end of the season. The players will be ashamed that their performances have just got their senior coach sacked. Think what pressure that will make on the assistant coach taking over. The player confidence levels are already low over the Carlton game. Think what their confidence levels will be like under a new coach.

Going by what other clubs do when they sack their senior coach, they usually go outside their club at the end of the season to seek a new coach. So let's say Scott Burns takes over as temporary coach till the end of the season. I'm assuming our injuries continue so we don't win another game for the season. Scott Burns is assumed no better than Buckley by association so his coaching career aspirations are wrecked.

At the end of the season we seek an experienced coaching replacement for Buckley. Roos is returning to the US to live, Clarkson has just signed a coaching extension at Hawthorn and Thompson is a head case.

Not having a viable experienced AFL coach to replace Buckley we are forced to go with one of the untried experienced assistant coaches at another club. The most obvious choices which spring to mind are Leigh Tudor or Stewart Dew.

We have a very inexperienced young team going into the 2017 season. What makes people confident that we are going to go any better under a new coach than we are already under Buckley. If we lose the first few games of next season under a new coach do we get the knives out to

Sounds like Ground Hog day to me.

Man you don't really get it do you.
The season is a write off now.
The players aren't attached to Bucks, I reckon a fair amount don't like his style.
Sacking Bux just puts a line in the sand ... no more on this path.
With a interim coach things might loosen up a bit.
Might not win another match all year.
But at least we will freshen up and some different plans would be put in place.
No one including the Sad Saacks are going to start back stabbing the new coach.
It will probably take at least a year.
But one thing will be different.
There will be HOPE!
Which is better than the feeling most of us have now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: