Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injuries. Bad Luck? Poor Management? Gamestyle?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just crap luck. We just can't catch a break. (pun intended)
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 pm

The well reasoned, logical arguments put forward on behalf of the Davoren must go faction have convinced me.

I blame him for Ricky Barham's hamstring injuries too. He never got that right.

Graham Teasdale's knee? Davoren again.

Lee Walker' s knee. Davoren.

The Harmes boundary line and Rocca goal incidents in the GF's. I blame Davoren for them too.

Didn't he also cost us the premiership in 77 by convincing Carman to belt Tuck?

The Davoren issue is compounded by the game plan. It's ridiculous that such finely tuned athletes are told to run so hard to get the footy. That's just asking for trouble. You don't see other teams doing that. Not enough gut walking in our game plan.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
The well reasoned, logical arguments put forward on behalf of the Davoren must go faction have convinced me.

I blame him for Ricky Barham's hamstring injuries too. He never got that right.

Graham Teasdale's knee? Davoren again.

Lee Walker' s knee. Davoren.

The Harmes boundary line and Rocca goal incidents in the GF's. I blame Davoren for them too.

Didn't he also cost us the premiership in 77 by convincing Carman to belt Tuck?

The Davoren issue is compounded by the game plan. It's ridiculous that such finely tuned athletes are told to run so hard to get the footy. That's just asking for trouble. You don't see other teams doing that. Not enough gut walking in our game plan.

Shot the gorilla too, bastard

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Bad Luck.

We need to move on.

Anybody including the Bulldogs supporters could see that they were lucky in the last quarter that we were unable to rotate any players.

Didn't hear Buckley make any excuses in his press conference for the loss other than our failure to convert our opportunities.

Neither should we.

We need to bottle up our feelings for the return match against the Bulldogs later in the season (revenge is sweet).

We didn't lose yesterday because of injuries. We lost because we didn't capitalise on the scoreboard when we had dominance in the second quarter. 3/4 shots should have been goals. The Dogs were able to run over us when the injuries set in but they wouldn't have if we cashed in in the second quarter. Away from the injuries, it was a carbon copy of the Fremantle, Port and Hawthorn games last year.

Bingo! Thats our brand of footy under Buckley for the last 4 and a half seasons. Shoot our selves in the foot. Even when we do get the gameplan right we never take our chances. How long must this charade go on. The coach is incapable of getting the playing group to execute. 5 seasons going backwards. Let's give him a sixth... Malthouse had shocking injuries from 2006 to 2009. Made finals every year with a less talented list
Gonzalo 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Bad Luck.

We need to move on.

Anybody including the Bulldogs supporters could see that they were lucky in the last quarter that we were unable to rotate any players.

Didn't hear Buckley make any excuses in his press conference for the loss other than our failure to convert our opportunities.

Neither should we.

We need to bottle up our feelings for the return match against the Bulldogs later in the season (revenge is sweet).

We didn't lose yesterday because of injuries. We lost because we didn't capitalise on the scoreboard when we had dominance in the second quarter. 3/4 shots should have been goals. The Dogs were able to run over us when the injuries set in but they wouldn't have if we cashed in in the second quarter. Away from the injuries, it was a carbon copy of the Fremantle, Port and Hawthorn games last year.

Bingo! Thats our brand of footy under Buckley for the last 4 and a half seasons. Shoot our selves in the foot. Even when we do get the gameplan right we never take our chances. How long must this charade go on. The coach is incapable of getting the playing group to execute. 5 seasons going backwards. Let's give him a sixth... Malthouse had shocking injuries from 2006 to 2009. Made finals every year with a less talented list

Agree with that. Footy these days is so even that momentum shifts very quickly. If you don't capitalise when you have that momentum, you open yourself to losing games. As you say, that has been our trade under Buckley, yesterday was exactly the same as the Hawthorn, Fremantle and Port games last year minus the injuries. We had the momentum shifts in that game but failing to take our chances cost us those games.

It is energy sapping in a physical and mental sense when you tackle hard, you battle to get the ball and then see one of your forwards failing to convert the opportunity up forward. Nothing has changed from 2015 to 2016 in that sense.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:16 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Bad Luck.

We need to move on.

Neither should we.

I suggest a couple of you go watch the game again and Google the word 'pressure' in the context of the game prior too viewing.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:46 am

Anyone else think that Barmey on the injury update just looked totally defeated? Like FFS, we just started to see the light at the end of the tunnel then bam, freight train.

Can't blame anyone really. Lucks got to turn at some point, law of averages and such.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:17 am

Yes we missed goals we should have kicked - but so did the Dogs - it happens in most games of footy!

The young pies up forward Faz and Moore missed goals - but they have good techniques and will kick a lot more than they miss over their careers. Cloke is another story and that is why I like him further up the ground or going for goals from 50 where the pressure is off him somewhat…

A hard running and tackling game style does require a lot of mental and physical strength and endurance - forwards have to do a lot more running these days and that is the reality for any player in a good team. Some of you guys looking for an easy game style are kidding yourself - look at Sydney or the Hawks or even GWS when they are winning and playing well - it is all about lots of pressure and lots of running for your teammates.

Buckley has the players performing well - they are not perfect and if the injures did not hit we would have beaten the dogs IMO.

Some of the comments from KM and Gonzo preferring an easy game style is ridiculous - there is no such thing!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am

Gonzalo wrote:
think positive wrote:
not sure how broken bones could be caused by bad management? or concussion?

If you read my intial post, I say we can't blame all injuries on bad luck. Some are impact, some are soft tissue injuries and others are repeat injuries. There is a combination of factors that are at play and then I raise that our high intensity gameplan that relies on maximum exertion may be contributing to more injuries. We have a young list that is being asked to play a physically taxing gamestyle, fatigue is going to set in and then the chances of injuries increase as the bodies aren't equipped to cope with such physical confrontation.

Our injury profile has been league worst for years. Probably since 2012. It is the biggest impediment to us being successful in the future and hoping it will go away is sand in the head stuff.

So your suggesting that the other 17 teams play with less intensity?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:43 am

You seem uncertain. The end of the world.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:47 am

Gonzalo wrote:
Bad Luck.

We need to move on.

Neither should we.

I always like this "if we'd have kicked straight" discussion. Reality is we kick a goal instead of a point and the ball goes back to the middle and we all start square so who can say if we'd have had the same opportunities or if we'd have been able to restrict the Doggies flow into their F50 under that hypothetical.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:53 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Bad Luck.

We need to move on.

Neither should we.

And Cloke wasn't even in the team... go figure!

So now the game plan is right but the execution is of... how will we ever get this right in your expert opinion?
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
The majority of those injuries result from collisions (concussion, shoulder, collarbone) or genetic disposition (ACL and ankle).

Players now are at more risk of head injury than in the past as they are leading with their heads as rule changes mean that they are petrified of being suspended if they protect themselves as players from previous generations did. That is common to all clubs, not just the Pies. The club cannot take responsibility for that.

It is possible to train specifically to strengthen the knees and ankles, and muscle and tendon around them, with the aim of reducing the risk of injury. I assume the players are instructed in that area but even if they are the major factor is still luck.

Whilst it is human nature to want to blame when something goes wrong I have seen no evidence that the injuries are due to something more than bad luck. What would you do to prevent the injuries from continuing? Easy to blame but harder to find a solution.

i have not heard anyone suggest that you can do anything to strengthen a tendon. baseball pitchers have learnt to pitch better, harder and faster through extra conditioning. Just means their tendons are more at risk than ever because of the extra torques that players put on the same quality of tendon.

same i fear with knees. the faster, stronger, better we get , the more loading we put on the same tendons and ligaments. So they snap.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 am

jackcass wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Bad Luck.

We need to move on.

Neither should we.

I always like this "if we'd have kicked straight" discussion. Reality is we kick a goal instead of a point and the ball goes back to the middle and we all start square so who can say if we'd have had the same opportunities or if we'd have been able to restrict the Doggies flow into their F50 under that hypothetical.

In my humble opinion, Gonzalo is the same old Jez07 under a new nick so don't bother engaging him if you want a logical/rational debate Daz. Rolling Eyes

Gonzalo 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 am

jackcass wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
think positive wrote:
not sure how broken bones could be caused by bad management? or concussion?

If you read my intial post, I say we can't blame all injuries on bad luck. Some are impact, some are soft tissue injuries and others are repeat injuries. There is a combination of factors that are at play and then I raise that our high intensity gameplan that relies on maximum exertion may be contributing to more injuries. We have a young list that is being asked to play a physically taxing gamestyle, fatigue is going to set in and then the chances of injuries increase as the bodies aren't equipped to cope with such physical confrontation.

Our injury profile has been league worst for years. Probably since 2012. It is the biggest impediment to us being successful in the future and hoping it will go away is sand in the head stuff.

So your suggesting that the other 17 teams play with less intensity?

Yes. Some teams like Hawthorn use precision kicking and keeping off style movement that has been adapted from soccer to tire their opposition. The longer they retain the ball, the more they tire their opponent. They don't base their game around heavy tackling, intense pressure and forcing turnovers as their coach and recruiters has built a squad that trades on high skill ececution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: