Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Matt Scharenberg---a bright future

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rude I know you had some doubts (and rightly so) about his kicking (distance) and his leg speed. I was confident he would come good (OK praying more so) and his speed didn't worry me because like Pendles he's football smart between the ears and has the one thing you can't coach and that's time.
He will be better next year again and hopefully for another decade after that.
He was a elit junior talent spoken of in the best possible tones by many good judges.
I've selected him in front of Langdon because I believe his upside is way more than Langdon's and that's not knocking Langdon it's just the way it is.
Scharenberg will repay the club in spades out investment in him (barring any further freaking injuries)
In 2-3yrs he will be in AA contention
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Great to see him finally manage to string a few games together and get better with each one. Hopefully a solid pre-season and improved fitness will see his kicking improve, as atm his kicks lack depth. Still, given his 2 knee recos, he's doing a fabulous job and should be congratulated.

i dont know who you've been watching, but the kid is one of the elite kicks in the league. There will come a time when the pies will try to get every single possession to go through him. his kicking is centimeter perfect nearly all the time. its an incredible weapon.

the kid is a beauty. I am certain that he will be better than Jake Lever so long as he gets a good run at it for a couple of years.

I was simply referring to the length of his kicks. He struggles to kick more than 45 metres. However, you are right about his accuracy. Not only are his kicks generally centremetre perfect, but his decision-making is elite as well.

Rudey, i think you and i are in full agreement.

I wonder if anyone who saw him growing up can speak to whether he once had a penetrating long kick? If he did, then i'm sure we will start to see that again as he regains leg strength from his two and a half years out of the game. If not, we will have to satisfy ourselves that he will continue to brilliantly thread his way out of defense with beautiful passes to players further afield.

I love this kid nearly as much as i love Degoey.

In Grundy, Treloar, Adams, DeGoey, Moore, Scharenberg, Elliot, H-E and maybe even Aish, Maynard and Langdon, that is the core of a pretty great team - especially when you add in Wells, Pendles, Sidey, Howe and Reid. Throw in solid work from guys like Faz, Crisp and Greenwood and hope for big things from daicos, brown, Kirby and McLarty and the future looks bright.

I truly believe we are an A grade Key forward away from contending with the best of them. We were not far off this year. Most teams found us tough to beat this year. Next year, they'll find us even harder.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm slowly coming around on him, but most of my criticisms of him remain the same. Not much contested possessions, not much tackling / pressure, slow, not very good one on one and doesn't seem to back himself enough to make himself an option in dangerous positions.

He does have great composure and very good (certainly not elite yet) foot skills, so there's something to work with here.

I don't know if anyone watches Hawthorn but Ryan Burton is a guy I'd like to see Scharenberg learn from. There was a passage of play where he got the ball on half back, kicked a perfect 45m pass and then followed up to receive and kick a goal. Scharenberg doesn't do that, he just does his part (the gather and kick) and doesn't follow up. I say he can learn from Burton, but he can definitely be better than him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: