Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A defining cultural moment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The General wrote:
remember, any indiscretions on his behalf reflect badly on the whole club, not just him. So the club must put measures in place to protect the brand.

Each to their own, but I would be perfectly happy for the club to shove its brand where the sun doesn't shine if it means we don't have to sacrifice quality players on that altar.

I do care about things like club culture and workplace conditions, but I'd love for someone to explain to me what a "brand" is and why it must be protected at the expense of onfield success. Or let's put it another way: what happens if our brand gets tarnished? Do we get kicked out of the comp? Do supporters stop turning up to games? Do we no longer have sponsors lining up to give us money? No? So what's the big deal? Let's stop jumping at shadows and recognise that our club is big enough to cope with a bit of negative media publicity.

None of that is to excuse player off-field indiscretions, but to situate them where they belong: with the law of the land and the player's role as a member of society, just like the rest of us. About time we let football take care of itself.

Last edited by David on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:49 pm

There’s only one question here: Does Jordan want to be a Collingwood player. If so, there’s the deal; we’ve negotiated long enough. take it or leave it. Like Nick Davis many years ago, if you don’t want to play for Collingwood, head elsewhere.

Give him a deadline too. Do it sooner rather than later so we have a clear picture going into the trade period.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm

^

He does want to stay at Collingwood and he's happy with the money and terms, everything except the bullshit OTT behavioural clause.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:32 pm

Quote:

He also said the AFLPA weren’t impressed with the terms of the contact, saying they didn’t support any additional behavioural-related clauses above and beyond the standard playing contract.

So its not what the additional clauses are the AFLPA is opposed to any additional behavioural clauses

And it has nothing to do with DeGoey its their policy

Unfortunately DeGoey requires additional clauses

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:49 pm

Would you sign a contract that said "we can terminate you whenever we feel like it"?
think better 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:04 pm

The defining cultural moment may be bringing a player into line and helping him to perform well AND make it as a solid citizen - that would be a coup!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm

David wrote:
The General wrote:
remember, any indiscretions on his behalf reflect badly on the whole club, not just him. So the club must put measures in place to protect the brand.

Each to their own, but I would be perfectly happy for the club to shove its brand where the sun doesn't shine if it means we don't have to sacrifice quality players on that altar.

I do care about things like club culture and workplace conditions, but I'd love for someone to explain to me what a "brand" is and why it must be protected at the expense of onfield success. Or let's put it another way: what happens if our brand gets tarnished? Do we get kicked out of the comp? Do supporters stop turning up to games? Do we no longer have sponsors lining up to give us money? No? So what's the big deal? Let's stop jumping at shadows and recognise that our club is big enough to cope with a bit of negative media publicity.

None of that is to excuse player off-field indiscretions, but to situate them where they belong: with the law of the land and the player's role as a member of society, just like the rest of us. About time we let football take care of itself.

Well said David. I couldn't agree more.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:27 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
Would you sign a contract that said "we can terminate you whenever we feel like it"?

Without playing Devil's advocate here - surely ALL clubs can actually do just that?
Have we not terminated Treloar under contract, and possible now Grundy?

Not to say they are going to not have to compensate said player, or arrive at a settlement payout or other such compromise.

And why would a marque player care less if his contract was terminated?
He can head to another club the following season with minimal baggage and restart career with a clean slate?

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 pm

Jordy wouldn’t be able to fart in public. He’d be the most watched player in footy history. Every time he leaves the house he’ll feel like he’s being watched. Imagine that pressure. It’d be like having someone breathing down your neck every time you’re outside the club or game day, it’d be awful.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:14 pm

piedys wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:

Without playing Devil's advocate here - surely ALL clubs can actually do just that?

Not to say they are going to not have to compensate said player, or arrive at a settlement payout or other such compromise.

He can head to another club the following season with minimal baggage and restart career with a clean slate?

There's a couple of key differences.

Treloar and possibly Grundy didn't/won't have their contracts terminated, they were/will be traded, which they have to agree to, and their contract is picked up by the new club.

Having your contract be terminated for misconduct means you're sacked with no payout and have to get a new job. The media would ensure said player didn't have minimal baggage or a clean slate.

The kind of clauses that are being reported as offered to Jordy would mean that if, at some point the club decided they didn't want to pay him what they had signed on for (see Treloar and Grundy), they could tear up his contract for farting in a meeting or being late to training, no payout, no recourse except possible litigation.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:19 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:

I think given his history it’d be naive to think he can have a clean slate. Whenever the club feels like it is not what it would say, so if I wanted to be a Collingwood Player. yes.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm

They will clarify some of the language and this will get done methinks. It,s all a media beatup because there is nothing else to talk about.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
piedys wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:

Treloar and possibly Grundy didn't/won't have their contracts terminated, they were/will be traded, which they have to agree to, and their contract is picked up by the new club.

Having your contract be terminated for misconduct means you're sacked with no payout and have to get a new job. The media would ensure said player didn't have minimal baggage or a clean slate.

The kind of clauses that are being reported as offered to Jordy would mean that if, at some point the club decided they didn't want to pay him what they had signed on for (see Treloar and Grundy), they could tear up his contract for farting in a meeting or being late to training, no payout, no recourse except possible litigation.

Aha, sounds correct there chief, thanks for that clarification.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
piedys wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:

Further, "whenever they think necessary" means if he sustained an injury they could terminate his contract. There is no way a professional footballer could accept such a vague clause.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:54 pm

How is what Collingwood are proposing actually even legal? “Whenever they think is necessary” is basically At Will employment, which does not exist in Australia.

There must be something else they are trying to get in there

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: