Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gaps in our current list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

With Nick Daicos out and Mitchell doubtful, I'd like to see Fly throw out the challenge to a couple of our young guns in Carmichael and Ed Allen.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:48 pm

JDG can be the bull but last week against Carlton although Cripps was good the damage was mostly Cerra then Dow after the sub was made. We need a couple of guys that can read the play doesn’t necessarily have to be a bull.
Quincy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:50 pm

And again the footy gods are not with us and yeah I agree that we have to change the midfield mix.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:15 pm

The lack of inside midfielders is our real weakness.

Mitchell was serving a benefit as our extractor in clearances at the beginning of the season.

However, with his form tapering off, the clearance numbers have regressed to 2022 levels again.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:14 pm
Post subject: What do we need? (Alternative to “who is available”…)Reply with quote

I don’t intend to move away too quickly from the glory of our victory, but the trade season is upon us already. I know there’s a thread for who’s available, but I wonder if a better way to look at it, much like we did this year) was to ask ourselves what we need first…

I’m not great at this, and I know you will all say “key forward/inside midfielder/etc” but for the sale of this thread let’s try and justify the view, rather than offering up “get Ben king”…

For mine we need to bolster:

Clearance/contest. We added Tom Mitchell who was immense in the granny and delivered exactly what we got him for. I felt his second half of the H&A season trailed off but he was mighty in the finals. I’m looking at his age, and Adam’s propensity to get injured and wondering if we need a younger version of the two (24-25?). We might already have one in McRae. So the question is then how do we find a way to get him 20 games in the middle in season 24? Similarly, could McReery turn into one of these players? Probably not gonna happen in a single season. Can Carmichael take a chance with another pre-season and more endurance? Maybe off to Bali on a Jordy training regime in the pre-season?

I think we will need a key forward in the next 2-4 years as Checkers comes to the end. I dont know if we need to get one this year - at least not an experienced one. I would feel ok going into next year with Checkers and McStay again, especially given the potency of our small forwards. Also - remember that we have a salary cap to manage as well.

Running half back/wing. We’re likely to see more Daicos and Crisp in the middle and Hosko may have 1-2 years left. I think Sidey may only have 24 left. Those two go out and we look short on two way runners out wide. We have Noble, who will no doubt set himself to improve. He’s a little small, but does he have the tank to play the Hosko role (which isn’t as physical)? Could Lipinski roll into this function? Maybe this is what they were thinking of with Jakob Ryan?

Key defender to replace Howie. Probably not for season 2024, but you want to try and identify where these guys are coming from.

I like how much speed we played with this year. I think it’s a great attribute.

Perhaps we have enough inside the club already for our ‘24 tilt and we can both pool our resources for a bigger trade next year and look for some more youngsters to backfill behind Richards, Allen and Ryan for several years down the track.

But for me, with a focus on the very near future:
-Inside mid to replace Adams/Mitchell
-Outside runner to prepare for Sidey/Hosko

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:57 pm

A fully fledge bono fida very tall agile FF!
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:50 am

inxs88 wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
If I could improve the team this year I would love a quality key forward.

Looking at where we need to improve our list in the coming years our top 6 oldest players are all in our best 22 and play key roles.

We’ll need to replace each of them with a player of similar quality if we are going to remain competitive.

Collingwood Playing List for 2023
https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2023/collingwood

Scott Pendlebury 35y
Jeremy Howe 32y
Steele Sidebottom 32y
Mason Cox 32y
Jamie Elliot 30y
Brody Mihocek 30y

Reckon the planning here has already commenced:

Pendles: Ed Allan
Howe: Jakob Ryan
Steele: Lipinski

A "great" 6ft 5 forward would be joy Smile

The trade period has just dropped the 1st and up there with the biggest trade bombshells of the past decade, in that Melbourne is open to trading 'enfant terrible' Clayton Oliver.
Source : https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/03/melbourne-open-to-trading-oliver-for-the-right-price-amid-frustration-and/

I agree with INXS88 on those list planning developments.
So, while the competition trade managers lose their minds over how they could fit Clarry onto their list, we can only hope other Clubs do a Collingwood circa 2019/2020 and blow up their collective salary caps as they clamber for 'required' players or be part of the Oliver trade.
We're clearly past the point of no return where contract length is a sticking point. It all comes down to the willingness of two Clubs to get a deal done.

We go into the draft with picks: 18, 36, 75, 93 (1487 points) so no currency to pull off a decent trade with 1,487 points).
Still Unsigned: Aiden Begg, Trent Bianco, Josh Carmichael, Arlo Draper, Will Kelly, Nathan Kreuger, Cooper Murley, Trey Ruscoe, Tom Wilson.

I think grabbing Doedee makes sense. It affords us and him time to get his body right under the stewardship of Jarrod Wade and manage Howe out through the 2024 season, and remainder of his contract.
If we could get the deal done for pick 36 and Adelaide offload Doedee's contract, might that be enough to get the ink on paper?
Now this would be an unpopular opinion, if they had the need for a Beau McCreery, their pick 21 looms as an attractive trade option.
That would be another 376 draft points adjusting for our trade of pick 36.
Why does that appeal? pick 18 and 21 might just get us into the Top 10 to secure and long-term key position player territory. We could then use the remaining picks to rookie the likes of Draper, Bianco or Kreuger.

Take your pick ~
https://www.zerohanger.com/10-top-prospects-for-the-2022-afl-draft-126370/#:~:text=10%20top%20prospects%20for%20the%202022%20AFL%20Draft,Phillipou%20...%208%20Jedd%20Busslinger%20...%20More%20items

Over to you Messrs Wright & Heine

Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:19 am

I think a certain amount depends on whether Charlie Dean can get right. He is a new recruit, in a sense, in 2024, and since Moore and Murphy are nowhere near the twilight, Dean seems the Howe role replacement.

The other one I hope to see break through in 2024 is Ed Allen. Tons of potential there.

I’d not trade McCreery, though. Each year he gets better and I think he is coming into his prime. I think players are best traded when you know their full development path and can judge it’s at plateau. I think McCreery has upside. Less sure about Ginnivan.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:33 am

Meredith1965 wrote:
I think a certain amount depends on whether Charlie Dean can get right. He is a new recruit, in a sense, in 2024, and since Moore and Murphy are nowhere near the twilight, Dean seems the Howe role replacement.

The other one I hope to see break through in 2024 is Ed Allen. Tons of potential there.

I’d not trade McCreery, though. Each year he gets better and I think he is coming into his prime. I think players are best traded when you know their full development path and can judge it’s at plateau. I think McCreery has upside. Less sure about Ginnivan.

But within the context of the discussion to give something to get something, while his currency is elevated, would you make the McCreery trade in order for us to secure the draft currency to secure a Top 10 key position prospect?
What will make us a better side with respect to our deficiencies?

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:34 am

Meredith1965 wrote:

Mcreery has speed and strength.
He has shown improvement every year.
Need a bloody good deal for us to trade him.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:52 am

masoncox wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:

Mcreery has speed and strength.
He has shown improvement every year.
Need a bloody good deal for us to trade him.

But that tells us / me nothing we don't already know.
The discussion is what might get us into the Top 10 to secure and long-term key position player prospect?
Is McCreery's ceiling so great / offers an integral part of our current DNA to not consider him tradeable? As our list manager, are you saying no to that type of trade?
Better football pundits might have more insight to what that ceiling might be?
I like what McCreery has done (and Julie's pre-game rev-up), but we're talking about securing a KP top 10 prospect and filling a key gap on our list.
Who else might have equivalent currency in order to secure an equivalent pick?

Also, in light of the new CBA, there's always players willing to take a 25%+ pay rise somewhere.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:21 am

^^^

Probably a far less provocative solution to getting closer to a top 10 pick, is to bundle up this years first round selection and next years first round selection.
In that case and depending on other clubs needs ( Lions will need big points for Levi Ashcroft in 2024 ) we could possibly net something close to # 10 in this years draft.
We’re about to enter a period where draft picks will return less currency than usual due to further dilutions and concessions within the system. The next couple drafts aren’t anything special either, so the bang for your buck will likely come from drafting at the pointy end of these upcoming drafts or just trading out those early picks out for ready made talent ( albeit the restrictions that come with continual on trading of first round selections )
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:36 am

Ahh the predictable "get me a key forward" chat.

a) with what currency?
b) to deliver for us when?
c) if we had one for season 2024 who would you tip out?
d) should we blow half our cap on someone who goes cold in finals? (Charlie Curnow...)

I actually liked the structure of our forward line this year - when it included McStay and Mihocek and then a rotating fleet of fast smalls who can jump and also provide pressure.

I dont think we should contemplate trading McReery - if he is indeed a project midfielder he can hopefully become a replacement for mitchell/adams.

I think we are in much greater need of a key defender - or at least someone who can become a key defender in the next 2-3 years, as well as an elite runner (Sidebottom replacement).

As I posted earlier - we may have all these things on the list already, but havent had a chance to see it develop on field.

I would be approaching this year's draft/trade period without too much activity.

For the record, I would certainly not be blowing the bank for a KPF this year.

If we do have some of these ingredients already, the question then becomes how do we get them gane time so they can develop?

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:49 am

^ either way I do expect we'll be doing something bold involving current contracted players or next years 1st rounder will occur.

Similar to the Lions, the Bulldogs will need some point additional collateral to deal with a top 10 F/S prospect in Jordan Croft likely to go early. That's already on top off their list management contract quandary of Naughton, Smith, Ugle-Hagan and English.

It's been well flagged GCS will need to build a points bank to secure their Academy prospects.

With Tasmania coming into the competition in 2027, your point re weaker drafts and talent pool picked over early by the Devils, getting our list positioned in the next 3 years will no doubt be at the front of list managers minds.

All in all, we'll need to take a good deal emotion out of the decision-making process.
This draft period should be fascinating as the first moves start to drop.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:59 am

Quote:
Ahh the predictable "get me a key forward" chat.

^ the discussion was about securing a key position player / deficiency on our list, not a key forward, there has been little call for that other than securing a KPP. In order to do this, getting into the top 10 requires some serious horse trading.

Quote:
a) with what currency?
(this is why the discussion is around trading of a player / picks)
Quote:
b) to deliver for us when?
(to develop a key position player)
Quote:
c) if we had one for season 2024 who would you tip out?
(moot point / question)
Quote:
d) should we blow half our cap on someone who goes cold in finals?
(Charlie Curnow...) half our cap? (as above, no one has suggested making a power play for a top 10 current power forward)

If you stay stagnant and don't evolve, the competition can go past you very quickly. We've done a great job to date; this discussion is about what approach might be made to fill voids on the list.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: