Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are Brisbane vulnerable on the MCG?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja Vu wrote:
I think it’s more about match-ups than venues. I believe the lions have beaten us 5 of the last 6 times we’ve played? They’ll fancy themselves, especially after the Round 23 result.

I don’t put too much credence into that result though. As per Leigh Matthews, we went into that game without Darcy and Daicos, and having stitched up a home final. Howe played forward and we lost Murphy early. If that was a must win game for us you’d think we would’ve sent Howe straight back. But we didn’t. The coaches were clearly looking at a few things and we had earned the right to be a little experimental.

Ultimately the Lions are a lesser side away from the Gabba. Should we meet them on the day I reckon we go in ever so slight favourites

We haven’t played them on our home ground since 2017.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:07 pm

^^^^ probably explains the recent record
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:40 pm

I think the MCG factor is very real regarding the Lions.They’ve won one,yes one,game there in the last 9 years.They play almost all of their games in Melbourne at Marvel stadium,which is like the Gabba,in that it’s a very short narrow ground.

The MCG on the other hand,is a much wider,longer ground,that probably doesn’t suit their game style at all,We play that ground probably better than any other team in the competition,so it should give us an advantage should we play the Lions in the Grand Final.

That’s not to say that we could lose this game,iof course we could.But playing the Grand Final against them at the MCG is a huge advantage for us.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:28 am

Gerry Cooper wrote:
I dont put too much faith in assumptions based on past events when it comes to Grand Finals.

Brisbane are a very good side and will be fully pumped if they make the Grand Final to play us. They play a 100 minutes of football and they put Port away quite easily in the last quarter. We played a quarter and a half and struggled to get the ball past the half way mark in the last quarter. I think we can win but we need to be turned on for 100 minutes. If we arent its goodbye premiership in 2023.

NOBODY wins at the Gabba, no body, they are 6-7 goals better team there, its a grave yard for visiting teams, what with its corny John Denver hick songs after every Bears goal. Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:33 am

I remember this conversation about Richmond in 2019 when we beat the Cats in the first final, only to be knocked off by GWS.

I would hope that we look forward to the Prelim first before contemplating our potential GF opponent.

We choked in the unlosable 2019 prelim.
Let's not let history repeat and be a spectator come GF day.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:24 pm

Interesting that Brisbane have started drifting in the betting again and Melbourne have come in, seems some punters think the Dees can upset the Lions at the GABBA.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:35 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
I dont put too much faith in assumptions based on past events when it comes to Grand Finals.

Brisbane are a very good side and will be fully pumped if they make the Grand Final to play us. They play a 100 minutes of football and they put Port away quite easily in the last quarter. We played a quarter and a half and struggled to get the ball past the half way mark in the last quarter. I think we can win but we need to be turned on for 100 minutes. If we arent its goodbye premiership in 2023.

NOBODY wins at the Gabba, no body, they are 6-7 goals better team there, its a grave yard for visiting teams, what with its corny John Denver hick songs after every Bears goal. Razz

Its a fortress all right. I dont mind the "Country Roads" schtick it reminds me of Mark Strong in "Kingsman". I also think its pretty reasonable to assume that Brisbane will be developing plays and performing drills etc that will aim to negate as much as possible their issues at the MCG. Whether that helps them remains to be seen I guess.

In the meantime we need to be preparing for Port or GWS in a fortnight's time!

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:55 pm

I might be being a bit precious but I don’t like the Lions being able to play their tunes after goals in a final. H&A fair enough, but to me, the finals should be as neutral as possible. They already have their home game advantage, that should be enough. Just my view and it doesn’t affect us.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:27 pm

Damien wrote:
I might be being a bit precious but I don’t like the Lions being able to play their tunes after goals in a final. H&A fair enough, but to me, the finals should be as neutral as possible. They already have their home game advantage, that should be enough. Just my view and it doesn’t affect us.

They should never be allowed to play such limp, disgusting music. It adds to their home advantage massively, as they are inured to the sound of that insipid music. Meanwhile the opposition has no choice but to endure it, and suffer the resulting mental anguish.

Last edited by Magpietothemax on Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:29 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
I think it’s more about match-ups than venues. I believe the lions have beaten us 5 of the last 6 times we’ve played? They’ll fancy themselves, especially after the Round 23 result.

Ultimately the Lions are a lesser side away from the Gabba. Should we meet them on the day I reckon we go in ever so slight favourites

But why are they are a lesser side away from the Gabba, if it is only about match ups?

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:00 pm

“More about” does not equal “only about”
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:03 pm

jonmac1954 wrote:
There is a reason we beat the Dees - and that's without Nick . . .

They have a very ordinary forward line - great from the center back but that forward line is ordinary.

You have to kick a winning score.

And that's why Brissy are a danger. They have the best forward line.
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:09 pm

K wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:
There is a reason we beat the Dees - and that's without Nick . . .

They have a very ordinary forward line - great from the center back but that forward line is ordinary.

You have to kick a winning score.

And that's why Brissy are a danger. They have the best forward line.

Ermmm we have a great backline - it always comes down to the mids - and that's their weakness at the G more space for the opposition - they can't squeeze as well.
Same as Sydney - if we had played them at the G flag was up for grabs.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:15 pm

We have a very aggressive defensive game plan.

Players like Daniher, C. Cameron, J. Cameron, Walker, Raynor, ... have got off the leash against us. Our defenders don't play tight.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 am

Looks like Melbourne has a bigger issue at the MCG come September than Brisbane does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: