Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keeffe and Thomas - 2 year suspension confirmed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
John Wren wrote:
outside of 2010-2011 waiting long periods for a grand final appearance is nothing new to collingwood supporters.

Exactly, was thinking about just that over the weekend!

My first ever flag (after waiting 27 years) was in 1990, and then had a 20 year wait until 2010. I guess that’s how we leant to be really patient. However in this instant coffee society of ours, supporters can’t even wait 5-6 years for a team to develop properly and want snap-bang instant success.

Better to go buy a bloody scratchy ticket and try your luck there instead of being an impatient Collingwood supporter Rolling Eyes I'm guessing it is the newbies or Gen Y types used to instantaneous results that are the most impatient here on Nick's but then again, I'm not too sure about that.

I'm older than you Lazza and so I've come to be patient as well. The problem is it's hard when I've watched the Hawks win around 10 flags to our 2 since 1958. One flag every 28 years, given our resources and massive fan base, is, quite frankly, a piss poor return. I'm happy with the pathway our club is on at present, and I'm a great fan of Bucks, but one more poor season will end that. Our whole club - coaches, President, board and players - need to be put on notice. Harden the f*ck up and start delivering Premierships. Cool
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm older than you Lazza and so I've come to be patient as well. The problem is it's hard when I've watched the Hawks win around 10 flags to our 2 since 1958. One flag every 28 years, given our resources and massive fan base, is, quite frankly, a piss poor return. I'm happy with the pathway our club is on at present, and I'm a great fan of Bucks, but one more poor season will end that. Our whole club - coaches, President, board and players - need to be put on notice. Harden the f*ck up and start delivering Premierships. Cool

With all due respect RB, I think you are confusing two (distantly related) issues. I think it is quite proper to expect the club, coaches and players to do their absolute utmost at all times to gain ultimate success.
I also think it is quite proper to be patient waiting for the results of this as only ONE team out of the entire lot that wins a flag each season.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

With all due respect RB, I think you are confusing two (distantly related) issues. I think it is quite proper to expect the club, coaches and players to do their absolute utmost at all times to gain ultimate success.
I also think it is quite proper to be patient waiting for the results of this as only ONE team out of the entire lot that wins a flag each season.

I didn't think anyone was older than Lazza Shocked

On a more serious note, I'm not sure we can burden our current team with the failures of earlier teams and exponentially increase the expectation upon them. This team had no role in the not-quite-good-enough efforts of 1960. 64, 66, 70, 77, 79, 80, 81. Most of the team were only toddlers in 02 & 03.

Make no mistake, 2 flags since 1958 is a very poor return especially when you consider we were good enough to get to the big dance 13 times over that period. Doesn't mean this current team needs to be held to account for it.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Woods wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Woods wrote:
roar wrote:
If you think Thomas and Keeffe would have enabled us to make the GF you have more problems then they do.

May be so, but the drugs scandal that hit Collingwood coincided with our post-bye form slump.

If Thomas and Keefe hadn't got busted things might be looking a lot better for Collingwood right now.

Not true. The two lads were busted on the eve of the season, which is why neither played a single game.

Yes, you're right. My bad. Apologies.

On reflection, I think it was around the bye that all the Ho Ha and speculation about the B Sample coming back was being talked about? And the rumour that a bunch of other Collingwood players were in on the same batch of snort at the St. Kilda Festival. I think this might have taken the wind out of our sails to some extent.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

On a more serious note, I'm not sure we can burden our current team with the failures of earlier teams and exponentially increase the expectation upon them. This team had no role in the not-quite-good-enough efforts of 1960. 64, 66, 70, 77, 79, 80, 81. Most of the team were only toddlers in 02 & 03.

Make no mistake, 2 flags since 1958 is a very poor return especially when you consider we were good enough to get to the big dance 13 times over that period. Doesn't mean this current team needs to be held to account for it.

i look forward to one day rudie regaling us with stories of what it was like to run with the dinosaurs.

on your point, it seems like it is always the current day which gets unfairly charged with rectifying and redeeming the sins of the past. this current lot has until 2020 to win flag. after that we are ushering in a new era again.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 pm

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Of course the current team can't be held to account for the club's failures of the past. However, the club administration, being the President, CEO and Board have an obligation to learn from our past mistakes as well as the incredible success of a club like Hawthorn, and create the culture and environment necessary to give Bucks and the team the best possible chance of Premiership success. As I said, I'm pleased with our current trajectory, but I think Bucks and the players need to be reminded that the patience of members and supporters can only be stretched so far. Next season in particular, they must play deep into the finals. No iffs, no buts, no maybes. No more excuses. Ultimately, whether they (players and coaches) like it or not, footy is a results driven industry. Those who can't deliver success must make way for those who can. I'm confident Bucks can, but even I'd be prepared to question his position, if we were to have a 2nd half season collapse for the 3rd year in a row. That may not be fair but that's how it is. I don't want to be told we have all the right processes and structures in place, if we are losing. It's time to get back on the winning team.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Yep, plenty of hopefuls who will train and do the right thing (ie stay of the drugs, any kind) if they choose to walk away.

Pampered princes. Over it.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:38 am

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I sympathies with all of you. Drugs are a pretty sad topic as my teenage daughter is constantly battling with her college mates to stay clear of temptations. Along with alcohol they are easily available at many parties they go to it's not funny! Keefe and Thomas have affected more their careers than our chances this year. We could have done with the extra tall especially in the Melbourne game but thats they way things go.
In the past too true we came so close but for many reasons didn't take it prize home. But we got the GF many times! And the ride was fantastic. My childhood hero was John Greening, he was just an incredible footballer! I Loved, Peter MacKenna, Tuddy, Wothington Stan the Man the Richardson brothers Fabulous Phil , You somehow wish they could play forever. That is what being a supporter is all about. Then came the Marvel, Millane, Rowdy Banks and we got one after 32 years The Tigers are still waiting 35 years on....... The game is changing and the equalization system does not allow our club to use our resources to lure players so we must get advantages from employing the best staff possible to manage and draft the best possible players where at times it's a Russian Roulette just have a look at the Blues Tigers and Melbourne success rates. MM was good for us in not only getting the flag but also dragging us out of that hole we were in in the 90's. 2002 with Rocca Bucks Burns was another exciting time and yes without a flag! I am of the belief that although Bucks inherited a great list and a lot on here feel we still had another shot, I tend to feel we were just short! The Ruck was the main problems with Jolls constantly breaking down and being less effective and Ball's 2012 injury the icing on the cake. Didak was inconsistent (injuries) Reid wasn't right, and Heater was tactically chocked, by tagging him. The pressure we used to put on the opposition was less effective and we really needed to have other weapons (kicking and speed which are still a problem) Having taken Jolly Ball and Wood in previous drafts meant we did'nt have any fresh young recruits . 2014 injury wise was a disaster our speedy new draftees didn't make it on the park although early in the year we looked good young Langdon and the speedy Sinkers and Williams running out of defense. It's a young team so we need to have patience that they play with each other build great playing relationships to a point where they will gel on the park. We won't make finals this year but in my view we have done well with the drafting of Moore, DeGoey Maynard and the exciting Marsh! This year I'm hoping we go after a KPP and an aboriginal crumbing forward ala Davis - Krakour. Like you Rudeboy I am also hoping our young Raging Bull Abbott gets to play seniors next year, I'm not sold on Fasolo either. A lot more can be said.
To consider is The Bulldogs game plan which if they can keep it up could unsettle teams like the Hawks and Freo and it will be interesting how they fare in the finals. Will the man on man classic finals tactic be the answer over the full out attacking football the Dogs are bringing this year and that Port brought last year and almost got over the Hawks. It will be interesting how Bucks and the coaching staff look at the tactics to bring to the table next year. We have the Tigers on Saturday be good to bring some effort and good skill and beat them!!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:23 am

Mossi wrote:
I sympathies with all of you. Drugs are a pretty sad topic as my teenage daughter is constantly battling with her college mates to stay clear of temptations. Along with alcohol they are easily available at many parties they go to it's not funny! Keefe and Thomas have affected more their careers than our chances this year. We could have done with the extra tall especially in the Melbourne game but thats they way things go.
In the past too true we came so close but for many reasons didn't take it prize home. But we got the GF many times! And the ride was fantastic. My childhood hero was John Greening, he was just an incredible footballer! I Loved, Peter MacKenna, Tuddy, Wothington Stan the Man the Richardson brothers Fabulous Phil , You somehow wish they could play forever. That is what being a supporter is all about. Then came the Marvel, Millane, Rowdy Banks and we got one after 32 years The Tigers are still waiting 35 years on....... The game is changing and the equalization system does not allow our club to use our resources to lure players so we must get advantages from employing the best staff possible to manage and draft the best possible players where at times it's a Russian Roulette just have a look at the Blues Tigers and Melbourne success rates. MM was good for us in not only getting the flag but also dragging us out of that hole we were in in the 90's. 2002 with Rocca Bucks Burns was another exciting time and yes without a flag! I am of the belief that although Bucks inherited a great list and a lot on here feel we still had another shot, I tend to feel we were just short! The Ruck was the main problems with Jolls constantly breaking down and being less effective and Ball's 2012 injury the icing on the cake. Didak was inconsistent (injuries) Reid wasn't right, and Heater was tactically chocked, by tagging him. The pressure we used to put on the opposition was less effective and we really needed to have other weapons (kicking and speed which are still a problem) Having taken Jolly Ball and Wood in previous drafts meant we did'nt have any fresh young recruits . 2014 injury wise was a disaster our speedy new draftees didn't make it on the park although early in the year we looked good young Langdon and the speedy Sinkers and Williams running out of defense. It's a young team so we need to have patience that they play with each other build great playing relationships to a point where they will gel on the park. We won't make finals this year but in my view we have done well with the drafting of Moore, DeGoey Maynard and the exciting Marsh! This year I'm hoping we go after a KPP and an aboriginal crumbing forward ala Davis - Krakour. Like you Rudeboy I am also hoping our young Raging Bull Abbott gets to play seniors next year, I'm not sold on Fasolo either. A lot more can be said.
To consider is The Bulldogs game plan which if they can keep it up could unsettle teams like the Hawks and Freo and it will be interesting how they fare in the finals. Will the man on man classic finals tactic be the answer over the full out attacking football the Dogs are bringing this year and that Port brought last year and almost got over the Hawks. It will be interesting how Bucks and the coaching staff look at the tactics to bring to the table next year. We have the Tigers on Saturday be good to bring some effort and good skill and beat them!!

Excellent post Mossi. Great stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22   

Jump to: