Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
But I agree with Rudeboy here I don't care what it costs, both have to be on the Collingwood list next year, they suit a need (small forwards) and their names are just too big to pass up.

Thanks Matty makes plenty of sense in regards to getting them both without selling the farm
I think we will be active in clearing some players this season to many same style and ability. We need to have flair and creativity to go along with our grunt[/quote]
I completely agree with the bit I have bolded. I worry, though, that we seem to have emptied out most of the players with flair and creativity and replaced them, generally speaking, with players with very little of either. That was either a terrible accident or a deliberate strategy. Either way, I think it's reasonably likely we'll see more of it.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:27 pm

If I had the power to do so I would change the father/son rule. If your father played one game for the club you could be drafted to that club using the last pick available to that club. If that is unfair to some other clubs then bad luck. There is unfairness everywhere. We live in an age of pretend academies, concessions to new clubs & Brisbane were allowed a different salary cap to win their premierships.[/quote]

Wouldn't work. The SA and WA clubs get access to players whose Dads played in the Snaffle and Waffle. You could suddenly have the last 2 rounds of those competitions suddenly have debutants at age 41 etc. The Eagles arranged for Ashley McIntoshs father to sit on the bench in a WAFL game to qualify him.

And what about those players whose Dad played for 2, 3 or even 4 clubs. But never managed 50 at any of them.

If a another club, say the Dogs, were to stupidly put in a a bid 2 rounds higher than the players ratings and they get stuck with you just bid for one of theirs and they are forced to choose. Or they player suddenly takes a gap year or 2 and pisses off to Europe leaving a hole in the list and when they lose patience grab him for nothing when he is delisted.

What disappoints me is Pants Millane was obviously using condoms.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:36 pm

ronrat wrote:
If I had the power to do so I would change the father/son rule. If your father played one game for the club you could be drafted to that club using the last pick available to that club. If that is unfair to some other clubs then bad luck. There is unfairness everywhere. We live in an age of pretend academies, concessions to new clubs & Brisbane were allowed a different salary cap to win their premierships.

Wouldn't work. The SA and WA clubs get access to players whose Dads played in the Snaffle and Waffle. You could suddenly have the last 2 rounds of those competitions suddenly have debutants at age 41 etc. The Eagles arranged for Ashley McIntoshs father to sit on the bench in a WAFL game to qualify him.

And what about those players whose Dad played for 2, 3 or even 4 clubs. But never managed 50 at any of them.

If a another club, say the Dogs, were to stupidly put in a a bid 2 rounds higher than the players ratings and they get stuck with you just bid for one of theirs and they are forced to choose. Or they player suddenly takes a gap year or 2 and pisses off to Europe leaving a hole in the list and when they lose patience grab him for nothing when he is delisted.

What disappoints me is Pants Millane was obviously using condoms.[/quote]

It would work. They would be my rules. Under those rules the father/son would only apply to AFL teams not to state based teams.

I don't understand why a father playing for more than one team is an issue.The draftee has a choice as to nominating & can chose whether he wants to nominate a club under that rule, just as Marc Murphy decided not to nominate Brisbane.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:46 am

If we can get these 2 for good value, it will help make not having a first rounder a bit better.

Just have to hope no one bids on either, so we can get them at the cheapest price. Its doubtful, but you never know.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 pm

mattys123 wrote:
The rated draft value of either player won't be known until after the TAC Cup finals, but we will have a better idea in a few weeks once the national championships is over.

At the moment, at highest, Brown is rated a late 2nd round pick and Daicos 3rd or maybe even 4th round.

So as it stands we can easily afford both, even without a first or second round pick to play with.

Of course there's always the possibility we trade players away to get a 1st or 2nd round pick which would make it easier to get both youngsters.

Brown is more of a midfielder than Daicos at this point, but both have shown ability to kick goals in the small forward role.

But I agree with Rudeboy here I don't care what it costs, both have to be on the Collingwood list next year, they suit a need (small forwards) and their names are just too big to pass up.

They sound they are Good Enough but Neither are Automatic Picks yet

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:07 pm

It would work. They would be my rules. Under those rules the father/son would only apply to AFL teams not to state based teams.

I don't understand why a father playing for more than one team is an issue.The draftee has a choice as to nominating & can chose whether he wants to nominate a club under that rule, just as Marc Murphy decided not to nominate Brisbane.[/quote]

So you think the SA based sides would give up on the likes of the Cornes Bros because the Dad played 6 games for North but 300 for a SANFL team. Dream on. Murphy was an exception. His Dad never played in Brisbane.He new someone would draft him. You can't rule out out one third of the clubs and expect them to roll over.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:25 pm

ronrat wrote:

I don't understand why a father playing for more than one team is an issue.The draftee has a choice as to nominating & can chose whether he wants to nominate a club under that rule, just as Marc Murphy decided not to nominate Brisbane.

So you think the SA based sides would give up on the likes of the Cornes Bros because the Dad played 6 games for North but 300 for a SANFL team. Dream on. Murphy was an exception. His Dad never played in Brisbane.He new someone would draft him. You can't rule out out one third of the clubs and expect them to roll over.[/quote]

Dream on? I thought that I was hallucinating when I read your post.I am really not sure what you are arguing. All I said was that if I had the power to change the rules I would do so.
How is what SA clubs think relevant to that?
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:28 pm

You can mark down Gavin Brown's son, as our F/S pick this year.

Apparently starred in the U18s this week.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Why would either of them want to come to Collingwood and have their careers ruined by Nathan Numpty?

If they have any brains, they'll nominate for the draft.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:39 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-13/u18s-will-brodie-stars-but-metro-pip-country-in-thriller

Quote:
U18s: Magpie father-son prospect Cal Brown stars as Vic Metro prevails in thriller

That's some good news for the day.

J. Daicos did not play with a hand niggle.

Last edited by Presti35 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Presti35 wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-13/u18s-will-brodie-stars-but-metro-pip-country-in-thriller

Quote:
U18s: Magpie father-son prospect Cal Brown stars as Vic Metro prevails in thriller

He'll be pushing shit uphill to move Blair out of his mortgaged spot I'd say....front-n-centre is so 1995....

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Cfc site article suggesting Brown may be a first rounder.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Presti35 wrote:

Quote:

Don't want young Brown playing too many "blinders" or we may not be able to afford him.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 am

Just read on BF that the Marvels son is playing on Sunday, I hole both boys blitz, I don't care if their price goes up, I need something to get me excited this year.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:53 pm

I maintain we need to draft both of these boys, none of this bullshit list management crap, there's still room for sentimentality in football.

FFS, If supporters all used their rational brain we wouldn't be supporters.

Draft em both, find a way to make it happen Collingwood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 22 of 42   

Jump to: