Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#9 John Noble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Also someone has to be Jarryd Blair /whipcrack
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:49 am
Post subject: THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY PLAYER IN THE AFLReply with quote

John Noble has been labelled by Kane Cornes as the best value for money player in the AFL.

The 2019 mid-season draft selection has started the season in good order, picking up 29 disposals in the Round 1 win over Geelong before he had 19 touches, six rebound 50s and four inside 50s in the weekend’s comfortable win over Port Adelaide.

Noble’s form has prompted praise from Cornes who highlighted the 26-year-old’s output versus his contract which would likely be on the lower side.

“John Noble is the best value for money player in the AFL,” Cornes said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“The 2019 mid-year pickup played every game last year, signed a two-year contract extension, and I reckon he’d be under the average wage.

“I’m guessing here, but I reckon he’s a $300,000 player. I reckon he’s worth $500,000.

“They say in American sport that the best value you can have in the NFL is a quarterback on a rookie contract because for five years the wage is set. When that expires you have to pay them half a billion dollars if they’re any good. It means you can’t spend money on the offensive and defensive lines.

“It’s the same with Collingwood. Because you’ve got such a bonus with Noble, you essentially get another half a good player in your salary cap.

“I just thought he was worthy of recognition. We’re all going to talk about (Nick) Daicos and everyone else at Collingwood, he’s one player that is in ripping form.”

Luke Hodge concurs with Cornes, especially given Collingwood’s recent salary cap issues.

“I don’t even reckon he’d be on that much,” he said.

“I agree with you with the fact that how important he is and what he’s been able to do. He came in at a mid-season draft, he will do anything to hold onto a contract and their salary cap was exploding last year.

“I’m saying it’s probably even more value for them because he’s probably getting unders.”

Since Noble was drafted from SANFL club West Adelaide, he has played 71 games for the Magpies primarily as a half-back. He averages close to 18 disposals a game across his AFL career.

Source :
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/27/the-best-value-for-money-player-in-the-afl/

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:54 am

It always surprised me how many posters thought John was not in our best 22. I think that worm has turned now though and he’s getting due recognition.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:09 pm

Up to 71 games already, will be up near 100 by seasons end.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 pm

For every Nick Daicos, we need a John Noble because different roles require different types of players to ensure that the team is perfectly balanced. I have noticed that this Collingwood team has 20 - 25 players who mesh well together to provide the drive and constant running movement that is hard to defend against. It’s impressive football with the ability to present multiple options for attack. This also requires players to run both ways which they seem to be doing.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:13 pm

As good as Noble has been, he's getting better week by week.

He and Cameron are both amazing 'value for money' players.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:33 am

Noble reminds me of Jack Crisp in his early years. Completely unheralded, but a major driver of our running game and a hugely underrated cog in the machine.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:13 am

RudeBoy wrote:
As good as Noble has been, he's getting better week by week.

He and Cameron are both amazing 'value for money' players.

This supports my theory that the most valuable asset any club can have is the ability to make players better - either through coaching, how they are played, off-field support etc. You can get players cheaper or lesser known, and they end up loving the club and wanting to stay because they recognise they wouldn't have become who they are without them.

I think this is the wisdom of having 3 x former head coaches on the staff, and also Fly's history as a development coach.

Loving both Noble and Cameron and great to see them getting a bit of love from the punditry as well.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:01 am

I had relegated Noble to the cusp of the 22.

I always loved what Noble brought to our side, A good measure is when he was out injured, I reckon we really missed him.
But for the longer term, I thought eventually a better playmaker was needed.

Low and behold, this year he seems to have gained yards to his game, has improved his influence out of sight. Maybe it's the Nick Daicos effect. lol

Now he is touching Gun level !!!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:05 pm

^ He isn't routinely conceding 2 goals a game by losing one-on-one contests. That was the problem with his game, previously.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:15 pm

Slowly but continually, he’s grown into his tattoo.
He’s clearly bigger across the shoulders since he came into the game and it’s a credit how he has improved his footy year on year. It’s not easy to get sustained improvement at the elite level. I’ve said this previously but if everyone on our list had improved at the rate he has, we would be talking threepeat’s right about now.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:19 pm

Meredith1965 wrote:
Noble reminds me of Jack Crisp in his early years. Completely unheralded, but a major driver of our running game and a hugely underrated cog in the machine.

I like the comparison with Crisp.

Came cheap, does his job, adds run and carry and improved every year to the point where they are vital cogs in the machine.

K 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:32 pm

Matthew Lloyd reckons Johnny Noble is the best MSD pickup of them all.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:01 pm

^ Agree with you K, but I have to add that Ash Johnson is another!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 pm

This article from twelve months ago had Noble third behind Marlion Pickett and Jai Newcombe. I think one could certainly argue he's gone past both.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-10-best-afl-mid-season-picks-in-the-drafts-short-history-121320/8/

Johnson is excellent, but not quite at Noble's level of reliability and consistency yet. I think you could certainly put him in the top 10 now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 22 of 28   

Jump to: