Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an brilliant visual investigation of the Brooks killing by the New York Times for people who wish to view the incident as it unfolded and make up their own minds without the all the emotional hyperbole attached.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007198581/rayshard-brooks-killing-garrett-rolfe.html?playlistId=video/investigations

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:48 am

I think the visuals are good but the commentary is incredibly biased. Again someone who's never been in a dangerous situation judging someone who's in one at the time.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:56 am

Wokko wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Protesters in DC trying to set up a similar zone (Black House Autonomous Zone) near the White House.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1275212027749961730

This isn't Seattle or Portland, these guys are going to have a bad time.

Again with twitter....

The video shows a bloke with a poorly painted sign and a bunch of graffiti on some temporary plastic barriers. There must also be someone filming him. Does that support the use of the plural "Protesters". Surely you could link something more viable, if this is anything other than a guy with a hangover who has borrowed Quixote's lance?

For goodness' sake, he hasn't even brought the Antifa Kombi for this video.

Just because you don't know or can't be bothered learning how to internet doesn't mean I'm going to spoon feed you. Police in DC are clashing with rioters, they're trying to tear down a statue in Lafayette Park and reporters have been ordered to leave the White House by secret service.

You see what you want to see, I'm not your personal news service.

Also what do you mean "Twitter again" it's a news service with 735k followers giving live updates and live streams, you know real journalism.

I'm just asking you to link some - any - reasonable support for your post. So far, it's a guy on his own wandering around with a placard and a couple of indistinct voices in the background.

It doesn't look much like The Revolution just yet, to me.

It's not up to me to go to trawl the internet to find which right-wing fake news site you've gone on to start up your latest conspiracy. The things that you have just put in the post above, for example, are simply not supported by your previous link to the video of a guy with a placard. You are not in Washington, so there is, presumably, some basis for what would otherwise be merely gratuitous assertion of fact. If it's the guy in Orange County (again), at least I'll know not to bother with it because it will just be mad, conspiratorial rubbish you've been reading. If it's the Washington Post, there's a fair chance it might have some substance.

It isn't good enough.

Police in DC are clashing with rioters - Source?

they're trying to tear down a statue - who, what statue, why and, again, source?

Reporters have been ordered to leave the White House by secret service - source?

Get on with it or expect me to keep asking.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/reporters-ordered-to-leave-white-house-as-protests-take-place-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

https://breaking911.com/livestream-rioters-try-to-tear-down-statue-near-the-white-house/

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/press-evacuated-white-house-amid-riot-breaking-dc/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

Protesters recovering after being removed from Lafayette park. Statue didn't come down.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1275230331487039489

Last edited by Wokko on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Swoop great link

if the cops go down for that then every cop should walk off the job.

45sec from when he started resisting, most of those when they are fighting him. IMO he should get some retraining (although, seriously, in 20 sec, do we always make the right decision? if so there would be a lot smaller road toll) and maybe a reprimand.

the cops were respectful all the way, and there was no sign of racism in this. unless you really look for it - ie the cops are white, the criminal is black.

bottom line Brooks should not have resisted arrest or assaulted the officers, or stolen the taser, or run, or fired at them. so many bad decisions.

i konw a lot wont agree with me, but thats how i see it. there was no disrespect, no aggression at all. So he didnt say can i cuff you? that didnt cause this.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm

swoop42 wrote:
This is an brilliant visual investigation of the Brooks killing by the New York Times for people who wish to view the incident as it unfolded and make up their own minds without the all the emotional hyperbole attached.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007198581/rayshard-brooks-killing-garrett-rolfe.html?playlistId=video/investigations

It's amazing how all of that can be in the public domain before the matter gets to court.

Good video. I disagree with Wokko, I thought the commentary was pretty much straight down the line for the most part.

911 operator asked immediately on being told a guy was asleep probably drunk in the car, "Is he black"?

Everything had gone as well as you'd hope. Courtesy from both sides, no sign of any antagonism, it all turned to shit when the cop tried to handcuff him.

Given all the relationship building that had occurred, I have to wonder if the cop had of told the guy that he needed to place him under arrest, tell him he needed to place him in handcuffs and ask him to please turn around so he could do that, would things have ended differently? Would he have complied or would he still have tried to run. He knew he was on probation and that being arrested would likely mean back to prison so it may have been inevitable that he ran.

From what I heard, they never said to him that he was under arrest.

Also interesting that the taser he took clearly did have a shot left in it and he fired it at the cop at which point the cop then shot him.

Is that a split second reaction to being fired upon or should he have known that the taser was now empty so the guy was unarmed?

The court will decide that I guess.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:26 pm

A warning from Venezuela

https://twitter.com/TruthHammer888/status/1275094217329537025
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Good video. I disagree with Wokko, I thought the commentary was pretty much straight down the line for the most part.

911 operator asked immediately on being told a guy was asleep probably drunk in the car, "Is he black"?

I think it's the vibe more than the specific language. They're painting this guy as a rogue, not following procedure, using the term "Unarmed" when he's quite clearly armed (out of ammo yes, but that's a calculation to make, not an observation), just the way they're painting it. Hard to put into words, but it felt like propaganda that the cop was to blame. Appreciate the different take though, that's the thing about subjective analysis I guess.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 pm

We may jar at different things. I thought the narrative was trying very had to be factual and unemotive and mainly succeeded.

It pointed out legal breaches with some actions which I liked, because every jurisdiction there has different rules so it removed areas of doubt.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:34 am

It was a garage door opener. Rolling Eyes
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:34 am

Wokko wrote:
A warning from Venezuela

Lol no-one had a problem with statues of Saddam Hussein being toppled in Iraq or Lenin and Stalin in the Eastern Bloc after the fall of the USSR. So is the removal of statues is a universal harbinger of social collapse, or is it possible that ... these things are wholly dependent on cultural context?

I'll give her one thing (and this holds true for the examples I mentioned above, too): statues coming down everywhere often is a sign of radical cultural change. Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's bad. But for US BLM protesters, radical cultural change is obviously the point of what they're doing, and many of us wish them nothing but the best in achieving that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 am

Wokko wrote:

It was a garage door opener. Rolling Eyes

scary that someone could have been in big trouble for that, and of course that stigma is now hanging over Nascar.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:03 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
A warning from Venezuela

Lol no-one had a problem with statues of Saddam Hussein being toppled in Iraq or Lenin and Stalin in the Eastern Bloc after the fall of the USSR. So is the removal of statues is a universal harbinger of social collapse, or is it possible that ... these things are wholly dependent on cultural context?

I'll give her one thing (and this holds true for the examples I mentioned above, too): statues coming down everywhere often is a sign of radical cultural change. Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's bad. But for US BLM protesters, radical cultural change is obviously the point of what they're doing, and many of us wish them nothing but the best in achieving that.

and some of us dont. they are not exactly picking and choosing their targets, a lot looks to me like just mass destruction. Ive seen that comment of facebook too. this is not helping.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am

You always get stupidity at the margins of any movement. For goodness’ sake, someone has defaced Stevie Ray Vaughn’s memorial in Texas. I can’t even begin to think why he would be a target. I expect he was just a statue in a park and got done as part of a “job lot”.

As for NASCAR, it seems to have just 1 black driver in the entire competition. It isn’t that long ago that black Americans didn’t get to play football or ice hockey. These under-representations are never because minorities don’t have the skills - they’re always because of systematic prejudice.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:02 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
A warning from Venezuela

and some of us dont. they are not exactly picking and choosing their targets, a lot looks to me like just mass destruction. Ive seen that comment of facebook too. this is not helping.

Aren't they? From what I can tell they've been very clear in their targets (there may be other cases of wanton destruction, as mentioned by P4S, but that's not what the woman in the video is talking about). There's a reason police here were surrounding the Captain Cook statue. Everyone knows exactly what kinds of statues are being targeted and what they symbolise.

I also respectfully submit that you may not be in a position to know what is or isn't helping. If people want to change the way public space celebrates former oppressors, then I would say their actions so far have been very effective, and those who are bothered by it need to ask themselves why they didn't feel the same about the statues of Lenin etc.

Last edited by David on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 23 of 37   

Jump to: