Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post GF. Pies pipped in GF thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i was right behind the interchange gate yesterday and i can tell you that in the last Sier, Stevo and Varcoe could barely get off the ground when it was their turn for a rest. Cox at one point hovered on the wing begging to come off. Sier in particular was cooked. I also think Phillips struggled to run out the game and both Stevo and WHE were injured during the game and didnt provide their customary run. Brave, but in the end, not strong enough to get the job done.

We were clearly on fumes in the end and were very brave to hang in as long as we could.

Having said that, leading a grand final for 115 minutes out of 120 only to lose is gut wrenching. And yet, if I'm honest, i had the feeling it was going to happen from as early as the second quarter.....

Finally, i would say one thing. why oh why did Treloar bomb it long to a contest where McGovern had the prime position to attack the ball. surely there was time to find a better option. he was on his own afterall....

Greeny2968 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:06 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Nearly wrote:
I’m not blaming the umpires for the result (on reflection today I believe the major factor was we went away from our game plan, probably because after 4 hard weeks of finals we had nothing left to give and so all we could do was boot long down the line), although it’s pretty clear that had the non decision on the Maynard block been paid, we probably would have gone on to win.

But looking at it again. It should never have got there. Ryan takes the mark leading to the kick to Sheed, and he’s allowed to pick up the ball off the ground next to Langdon and play on. You can’t do that after a mark ( as opposed to a free kick). You must come back behind the mark to take the kick.

Leigh Mathews is right. The umpires choked. 4 free kicks in the last quarter hence only 4 illegal acts??? Nup, don’t think so.

Think that Cox got called back earlier in the game for exactly the same thing.

Exactly what I was going to say. It’s the inconsistencies that cost us. The umpires do have an effect on the result. No doubt.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:07 pm

E wrote:
Finally, i would say one thing. why oh why did Treloar bomb it long to a contest where McGovern had the prime position to attack the ball. surely there was time to find a better option. he was on his own afterall....

So many whys...why did (Steele, I think) start kicking it backwards with several minutes to go...ended up in Howe's arms taking his kick from the last line of defence, where we'd struggled to clear it all quarter. It needed to be locked in our 50, not theirs!!

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:38 pm

E wrote:
i was right behind the interchange gate yesterday and i can tell you that in the last Sier, Stevo and Varcoe could barely get off the ground when it was their turn for a rest. Cox at one point hovered on the wing begging to come off. Sier in particular was cooked. I also think Phillips struggled to run out the game and both Stevo and WHE were injured during the game and didnt provide their customary run. Brave, but in the end, not strong enough to get the job done.

We were clearly on fumes in the end and were very brave to hang in as long as we could.

Having said that, leading a grand final for 115 minutes out of 120 only to lose is gut wrenching. And yet, if I'm honest, i had the feeling it was going to happen from as early as the second quarter.....

I think your first point answers your question; Grundy just couldn't get there to lay the sheppard Treloar needed to find De Goey at the back, and the WCE player pressured the kick. Grundy gave his all, and almost bumped him, but just not quite

Just ran out of legs and luck in the end, watching the replay it was quite lucky the eagles didn't score more in the last, just not lucky enough

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
My son said after the 2011 GF, and my daughter said after yesterday's loss "Oh well, there's always next year!" But the fact is there isn't. There's no guarantees.

That's the thing with kids isn't it, they have a different view point.
My own kids also have the same mindset, as did I once upon a time when I was their age, there's always next year & then the year after that, always the optimist.
However the following season comes & goes, we find ourselves that little bit older & wiser & for some, reality finally sets in & you start to realise that fk, there may not be a next year...
The GF losses just keep adding up & eventually they start to take their toll, there's only so much one can take.
Now the next generation are starting to endure & understand the pain us oldies have been going through.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 pm

I was at the game, absolutely shattered and gutted is an understatement.

How many times are we going to be put through this, me since 1970.

I dont blame the players, or coaches etc, they tried their hardest.

Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
I was gutted yesterday,and remain so today. Our magnificent team , so brave, so tenacious throughout this year has just fallen short at the very end.Their disappointment must be just searing through the veins right now. As for me, i just feel numb inside, like nothing matters.
My congratulations to our heroic team and coaches this year who came so close to achieving the impossible:winning the flag, backs against the wall with a crippling injury list and a club under so much pressure and scrutiny after several years of disappointing performances. It was truly an extraordinary year where we saw exploding on to the scene sheer brilliance of talent, and the emergence of a powerful team solidarity and a refusal to ever give up which was almost enough to win the ultimate prize.
This team will recover from its heartbreak, as it has from every setback this year.
The priority right now for me is to get Tom Langdon signed up. His last half of the year was wonderful, and his performance throughout the Finals was

extraordinary. He will be a crucial element in our defence next year.
The devastation i feel now is hard to tolerate, but already i can sense the growing sense of hope and expectation for next year. This year has certainly proven that we have established the basis of a very powerful team.

This is everything I wanted this say.... Max you read my mind

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:42 pm

think positive wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:
What boils my piss is, you don’t hear from people during the year, then all of a sudden, we lose a GF & the fk’ers come outta the woodwork.

I never gloat to others, nor do I hang it on other supporters to their face, (I do comment on here though).
I just go about my business, yet because I go for COLL, others enjoy texting, countless msgs on FB, flooding my feed with fkn shitty memes.

Needless to say, I have unfriended a few people & blocked a few numbers, including my brother!

Ditto!

It’s funny no matter how well I behave towards others I’m still shocked by the shitty behaviour I sometimes still cop, and the fact I’m surprised surprises me too!

Won’t change me though, just keep being the bigger person, they ain’t worth it

I only had 2, my ex wife and my son's ex. Neither of them Wiggles supporters.

The latter took her fun a tad too far for my liking and I responded with something that, while true, seems to have hurt her feelings. Tough. Looks like she's de-friended me on Facebook. I'm shattered.

I can deal with supporters of the winning team gloating, but not fair weather supporters of other teams.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:52 pm

You know what really sucks? Next year’s 18m square would’ve helped us clear our D50 yesterday. One season too late.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:07 pm

^ Should we mention that at the end of Thursday's training Reid was banging kicks 60+ metres towards goal?
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
You know what really sucks? Next year’s 18m square would’ve helped us clear our D50 yesterday. One season too late.

Geeze I hope they also bring in a rule to be able compete at a marking contest without being raped.
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Still feel numb. Don’t think I’ve felt this bad after a game before - I remember leaving the 81 gf in tears as an 11 year old but this just hurts. So forcing myself to be cold hard rational (not sure if this is cathartic but here goes):

+ WC have objectivity a better squad with The two let forwards and McGovern
+ I didn’t really comprehend wether it was purely from a football perspective a good match; neutral friends of mine maintained it was a great contest. There is this narrative that they smashed us, but actually they couldn’t put us away. They pushed and pushed and we soaked it up and then came again.
+ The umpiring is genuinely atrocious. Third quarter 18 minute mark Grundy marks and then gets tackled - call is dropping the ball. It should have been a 50. Then Varcoe gets a free for a brilliant tackle a minute later and after the free is paid he’s tackled. 50 every f..ing day. Thomas tackled - even the west coast cheer squad in the commnetary box said it should have been paid. We kick two at the start of the last and surprise surprise - they get a soft free kick.
+ Adams - a warrior. Coxes third was brilliant he threw everything in.
+ we have a makeshift backline, three first years (hell Sier has played what 13 games), and still they cannot break us.
+ And then Maynard. Well the commentator some say was the best player ever says it’s clearly a free. Hell even their coach says I thought he played on. He clearly takes two steps for are after stopping. Play on. Either of those appalling two decisions are called correctly. Who knows.
+ So as good as they are and as (so lots of people here think) dominat; they cannot make us bend. We just get robbed. That’s all.
+ I’m sorry at the pain some of you have experienced. There are some knobs out there. I actually never slag off at any opposition supporters after we win because I know how bad the hurt is, trust me you don’t want to ever be I NSW watching a GF with people yellin out “oh well done number 4”. But here’s the thing. They couldn’t bend us, and I have something no opposition supporter can take away - pride in my football club. There has been some dark days. But the strength of this group is pretty special. The giant awakes. The real one.
+ Enjoy the summer break everyone - it’s game on. If I were Darcy I’d sign whatever they put in front of me.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Well said P70.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Well said P70.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Yesterday is the outcome that has finally broken my spirit. My dear friends know and understand the 'Black Dog' that stalks me every day of my life. The loss simply compounds my misery.

I agree with Leigh Matthews on the Maynard 'non-decision' and bemoan that Treloar's final kick did not carry another two foot higher and pas the pack to land in De Goey's lap for the sealer.

I will always love our Club but my mental health will not survive another disappointment like yesterday. I am shattered and taking a break from Nick's to lick my wounds.

Floret Pica Magpie faithful- our turn will come, of that I'm certain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 24 of 31   

Jump to: