Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel for Noble. Says something about the strength of the team if he and Ginni can’t make the starting side. They do talk about the strength/skill of your bottom 6 when it comes to finals and while our bottom six might not be in excellent form, they either have a role to play, or have experience on their side (people on this forum can’t seriously believe they would omit Adams of Sidey do they?)

This bottom six in my view would be:
McStay, Cox, Markov, Lipinski, WHE and maybe McReery (?)

All of these guys have had a good season and/or play a specific role.

Still have to make way for Nick too at some point (hopefully not for a fortnight)

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:28 pm

Markvov > Nobel is an interesting one. Happy for Markov, Nobel didn’t deserve to be dropped but there you go.
Thought Ginni had done enough but he’s still in the mix.

Worried about going in to top heaving if it belts down. Oh well. Guess I’ll find out around midnight (have to watch delayed, damn Thursday night rubbish).

melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:29 pm

Maybe it's considering Melbourne's contested game and a leaning towards bigger bodies .

Just a thought.

Noble is very very stiff
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:31 pm

Whether it be Ginni, Oleg, Nobel, Mccreey, or Hill. They were going to be stiff to miss.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:33 pm

Johnny Noble extremely stiff to be dropped. Does he breaķ the record for the most consecutive games in the side(80 plus) before being dropped in a final? However you can see why they did it. Last year's finals performances have come back to haunt him. The prelim in particular. You couldn't choose between him and Lipinski to drop though. Different roles. Runnng half back compared to midfielder. It had to be a choice between Johnny and Oleg Markov. Others have pointed out Leggys edge in height and probably speed as well as recent form so you can see why. But gee that goes down as one of the hardest calls i can recall. Howey playing half forward is smart thinking. They can't ignore his marking threat and he along with Checkers Cox Cameron and McStay offer high targets with Jeremy's dual focus the disruptor role for May and Lever's marking strength down there. The likes of McReery and co can then be more effective.
The inclusion of Markov Mitchell Hill and McStay to the team from last year will go a long way to determine the result. If they can at least break even or do bettwr in their roles it goes a long way towards getting a win. Go woods.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:40 pm

uncanny wrote:
Johnny Noble extremely stiff to be dropped. Does he breaķ the record for the most consecutive games in the side(80 plus) before being dropped in a final? However you can see why they did it. Last year's finals performances have come back to haunt him. The prelim in particular. You couldn't choose between him and Lipinski to drop though. Different roles. Runnng half back compared to midfielder. It had to be a choice between Johnny and Oleg Markov. Others have pointed out Leggys edge in height and probably speed as well as recent form so you can see why. But gee that goes down as one of the hardest calls i can recall. Howey playing half forward is smart thinking. They can't ignore his marking threat and he along with Checkers Cox Cameron and McStay offer high targets with Jeremy's dual focus the disruptor role for May and Lever's marking strength down there. The likes of McReery and co can then be more effective.
The inclusion of Markov Mitchell Hill and McStay to the team from last year will go a long way to determine the result. If they can at least break even or do bettwr in their roles it goes a long way towards getting a win. Go woods.

120%. Noble lost 6 one on one contests against the Swans in the Preliminary Final last year. However, he is a tad stiff to be omitted given his fine 2023 form.

VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:41 pm

Culprit wrote:
We win Fly is a Genius, we lose Fly is what?

Undone.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:52 pm

Stevic fk me sideways!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:54 pm

Daicos says Pies were trialling ‘different things’ during slump
By Jake Niall, September 6, 2023

Collingwood were looking at the bigger picture and trialling “different things” when the Magpies had a form slump late in the season, according to star wingman Josh Daicos. He said it was possible that the Magpies were impacted by being games clear of the second team when they lost three out of four games from rounds 20 to 23 – but that their defense had been vulnerable without skipper Darcy Moore, who will return for Thursday night’s huge final against Melbourne.

Daicos, who made the All-Australian team alongside his brother Nick this year, said the Magpies had “potentially” been affected by being well clear on top of the ladder, but added of that late-season form slip: “I think ... a lot of people don’t know what goes on internally, whether the boys are banged up that time of the year. “We obviously moved ‘Howey’ [Jeremy Howe] to the forward line, we had Darcy [Moore] out. So our defence was a little bit vulnerable, we had a few debutants over that time. So we were trying things. “And it’s not so much about the outcome for us. We were just trying to try things, the bigger picture. And obviously winning’s really important and it wasn’t like we were going out to those games just to (trial things), but we had a month where we would have loved to have done better.” Daicos, who was speaking earlier this week before the Magpies ruled his brother Nick Daicos out as he recovers from a knee injury, said Nick would play in this finals series “for sure”.

“He was just worried about getting his knee right,” said the elder brother. Daicos said it meant “everything” to make the All-Australian team alongside his brother, who was the Brownlow Medal favourite until his late-season injury, and that the pair had never imagined such an achievement. “It means everything ... It’s something that we never, I don’t know, I don’t think we could ever picture it in our wildest dreams, and to do that in a year where you also play finals and finish first is amazing. “So first and foremost the team is doing well. But then the team is doing well and you’re recognised as a part of that – it’s amazing and it’s something that Nick and I will always look back on.”

Daicos, who is in his seventh season and has improved enormously over the past two seasons, said he had been mindful of the All-Australian possibility for himself. “I was mindful of it ... like going into the season, I just wanted to get better and I was just pumped to make the squad last year. “Then we got to the latter part of the year, there was a bit of talk about the team. Obviously it was very humbling to be involved in it, yeah it was awesome to have like Jordy [De Goey], Isaac [Quaynor], Nick, myself, Darcy [Moore], probably had a couple of others in the squad. “So pretty cool.”

Daicos said Thursday night’s game did feel bigger than other finals. “It does feel bigger. I think just another Melbourne team, the talk about [a crowd of] 95-96,000.” He said to take the tradition of the King’s Birthday clash to a final “will be amazing”.

Link (login required)
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/demons-unfazed-by-grundy-s-meeting-with-power-goodwin-s-eyes-firmly-on-magpies-20230906-p5e2h4.html

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:59 pm

Would Melbourne prefer Noble playing? Might explain why he was dropped if it throws a spanner in Melbourne’s plans and makes us less predictable. John is stiff, but so would McCreery, Hill, Markov, WHE. I feel for him but we have our reasons and we’re not giving the opposition any hint as to why.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:02 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
I would rather have dropped Lipinski instead of Noble.I really don’t see what he(Lipinski)adds to the team.

I have a feeling that Lipinski will let go of his inhibitions of having been injured and play a blinder,
maybe close to BOG

Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:04 pm

Cam wrote:
Noble is a mismatch when he has a taller forward on him, the ball often goes through his man. I love what he brings but I feel the last month Markov has offered more, pound for pound is stronger, taller and can hold his ground.

I guess you are right Cam, look, the Coaches must have given this a lot of thought, Noble has been terrific, but this is a huge Final, massive match, and we have to go with the best we have. Markov has been a marvel, deserves his spot, its Lipinski who has to really step up now, Noble will be breathing right down his neck for, hopefully, the Preliminary Final.

IN FLY WE TRUST. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:04 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Would Melbourne prefer Noble playing? Might explain why he was dropped if it throws a spanner in Melbourne’s plans and makes us less predictable. John is stiff, but so would McCreery, Hill, Markov, WHE. I feel for him but we have our reasons and we’re not giving the opposition any hint as to why.

That is a good point. The omission of Noble is relatively inexplicable, so Melbourne will be worried.
Shocked

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:13 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
I would rather have dropped Lipinski instead of Noble.I really don’t see what he(Lipinski)adds to the team.

I think that's harsh; Lipinski's skill set is far above Noble's.

The question is the File and his shoulder ready for finals intensity? Time will tell

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
choppa 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:38 pm

I'm not really surprised Lippa wasn't dropped.

I remember hearing a comment from Fly whilst Lippa was injured saying Lippa was our best kick going inside 50 (or best kick in transition...I can't recall exactly). I remember that comment giving me the impression that Fly highly rated Lippa.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26   

Jump to: