Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not a straw man. It's communication; doing what we're doing right now. And it complicates more simpleton views of the world.

Don't be distracted by the "language" as some divorced entity; that's just the first thing you notice when reading about something, as you're doing. Cleansing is as cleansing does, of course.

The lack of solution for this other impure group, aside from cleansing the streets of their vile uncontrolled desires by prosecuting them and shipping them off is revealing because of its behavioural intent.

The moral sincerity test is always the responsibility you take for the less desirable. Punishing, dumping, containing: These things without a commensurate commitment to developing speak volumes.

As I say, gone are the development lessons and triumphs of Asia; it has since become a pretend badge of honour to bomb, shift or contain, rather than develop.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:43 pm

^ I do not really recongise this "development triumph" of ours in Asia ; it seems to have been the achievement of the various Asian peoples themselves ; a strong social order, fairly benign government and free markets and free trade, and preferring the language of self-development, opportunity and education over that of victimhood. Credit to them. They are certainly outcompeting most of the West (or at least Europe).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 am

^Germany and Japan were obviously already industrialised, and needed security, technology transfer and trade access. Not to mention the role of the, ahem, Marshall Plan in rebuilding the former, and the security following the divide with the Soviets.

Both, of course, had excellent internal infrastructure and social organisaton.

The Asian Tigers needed much more direct help.

On all accounts, though, the intention was to get trade, stability and self-sufficiency going.

To underscore the point, controversy still remains about there being too much support for, and forbearance with, early authoritarian regimes. The most notorious was of course, Suharto, but it applies more pertinently to the Asian Tigers.

Korea's support was huge, and so Taiwan's, whose GDP was propped up by US transfers for a couple of decades, while the security contribution was on top of that.

The posture in all cases was support for development and trade, with the blind free market nonsense luckily pulled in by indigenous forces, enabling more balanced development, giving rise to the rift between neoliberal development, which focuses on the first half, and other development models which emphasise the role of the second half.

Where is that posture towards that great region from North Africa to Russia? Trillions spent on wrecking the joint and propping up dictators without a development posture. At least Park Jung-hee and Tiger colleagues were committed to development, tyrannical excesses notwithstanding.

Not having an intention to help people move forward is a moral fraud, if not an outright violence. And in this case, one which will keep imposing massive instability costs on this crass new denialism.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:39 am

The West trades heavily with the ME and Russia. It's just that (more or less) all they have worth buying is crude oil and gas. I don't think it's the job of Western governments to run an industrial policy for them, especially as they are mostly hostile to us ...?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Oi PTID don't you ascribe your negative connotations to terms I use everyday and assume as fact ( your uninformed fact) that they are used in a derogatory fashion!

Like round them up - I asked a colleague today to " round them up" as I was ready to start an education session on critical bleeding!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:53 pm

^Hmm. I thought the bits about "stemming the flow", "mopping up" and "disinfecting the region" were also quite revealing! Wink Very Happy

(As an aside, Morrigu, it looks like we're moving to Ireland for the adventure of it in a week's time...).

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:25 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Hmm. I thought the bits about "stemming the flow", "mopping up" and "disinfecting the region" were also quite revealing! Wink Very Happy

(As an aside, Morrigu, it looks like we're moving to Ireland for the adventure of it in a week's time...).

Try not to wear your Union jack waistcoat in public. Razz

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:40 pm

^ Somehow I don't think there is too much risk of that in PtiD's case. The best advice would be to take an umbrella.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:58 pm

pietillidie wrote:

I'll let my numerous relatives know of your impending arrival - try not to piss me off too much whilst you are there Wink Razz

Where are you going ? - don't spend too much time in Dublin!

My mum is from Nenagh in County Tipperary - but being Irish Mics they have breed well and have spread out Very Happy

The Connemara is one of my favs - I have stayed there many times with family who still live in thatched roof homes with no electricity etc but it was the best - local pub had never ending " sessions" - Guinness a plenty and fantastic traditional music and singing.

And Donegal and you must whilst you are there drive the Antrim coast - beautiful!!

And do me a favour go to Derry ( and if you call it Londonderry I shall hunt you down and kill you!!) - walk around the wall of the old Fort city - but and I mean this quite seriously be careful in voicing you views in the pubs - I don't think they will let you in to the pubs that still stand at attention at closing time for the Nationalist anthem - they were nervy of Scott the first time I took him with me!

And lastly make sure you take some buses just so you can experience the " crossing" every time you pass a church or a hospital - it's sorta quaint Very Happy

And even though you P155 me off a lot I hope you enjoy it Razz

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:48 am

^Ha, awesome Very Happy

We are chasing up a few job opportunities for the Beloved One, so we could end up anywhere from Dublin to Cork or Galway, with those obviously being the best for IT. I definitely hope to avoid the suburbs of Dublin or Cork, but one gets a grim feeling when it comes to the Beloved's job aspirations....

Part of me has the selfish desire to live by the sea for a while, fishing and working online Very Happy It's funny you mentioned the Antrim Coast because if we do end up working remotely, which is still a possibility, we were pondering somewhere from Sligo north with fibre Internet!

The Connemara is definitely on the agenda once we get sorted! You don't have any keen fishos in the family who live on a nice lough by any chance? Razz

I may not have mentioned, but while the old fella was a Yorkshireman, mum's (father's) side are all O' ~ from County Cork and the SE, so I will playing up maternal roots this time Very Happy

Shall keep you posted on this - thanks for the enthusiastic advice!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:00 am

stui magpie wrote:
Try not to wear your Union jack waistcoat in public. Razz

Mugwump wrote:
^ Somehow I don't think there is too much risk of that in PtiD's case. The best advice would be to take an umbrella.

But my jocks with Cameron's flustered face on the inner rear should go down well. I just can't bring myself to wash them Twisted Evil Razz

It's definitely too early to be moving from here, but it's a pretty good detour Very Happy Just as Reading kicks arse again, too Rolling Eyes

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/reading-bracknell-judged-best-places-10391419

Oh, and we'd better see the rest of Europe before Cameron builds a giant wall to keep Germany's $13B budget surplus out Rolling Eyes Wink

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:58 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I may not have mentioned, but while the old fella was a Yorkshireman, mum's (father's) side are all O' ~ from County Cork and the SE, so I will playing up maternal roots this time Very Happy

Ah... that explains it then so it does !!!

A brick on a Cork mans head is called an extension" Laughing Razz

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Morrigu wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Ah... that explains it then so it does !!!

A brick on a Cork mans head is called an extension" Laughing Razz

I thought it was Kerrymen that copped the "Irish" jokes in Ireland.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 pm

^

they're Irish, they're not meant to make sense.

I remember reading an article years ago from an Irishman living in Australia, comparing the two countries. Apart from the obvious weather comparison, one that stuck with me was the observation that a farmer in Australia might have hundreds or thousands of acres of land with sheep, cattle and crops where a farmer in Ireland would likely have 10 square feet of mud and an elderly pig.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:05 pm

^ And then there are tales of drop bears and Nessie appearing and leprechauns at the end of the rainbow with pots of gold Wink Razz

Nah Wokko everyone is fair game!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 26 of 74   

Jump to: