Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get back to business?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:34 am

Did I also read somewhere, Mugwump, that you listed Australian migrant groups from "more similar cultures", and proceeded to not list those from Vietnam, the Balkans, China, India, and so on? Plenty of " dissimilar" migrants have been very successful.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:50 am

They all have cultures of fitting in, assimilating and succeeding rather than violently taking over.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:10 am

Is there any culture that doesn't have a history of trying to aggressively take other places over?

Of course that's quite a different matter to the behaviour of individuals, most of whom have no interest in doing anything of the sort (including the small minority involved in delinquent or criminal behaviour).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:13 am

Agreed, Wokko. And they did not come at anything like the rate that Germany sees now. Migration brings many benefits but things are lost in the process, especially when the rate and pace is high.

I don't think cultural distance is the main issue - the main issue is rate and pace and the impact on the host society. Islam, however, is a unique problem because of its political /ideological nature, universalist claims, expansionist history, and the backwardness of most of the societies that host it.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:57 am

Mugwump wrote:
Agreed, Wokko. And they did not come at anything like the rate that Germany sees now. Migration brings many benefits but things are lost in the process, especially when the rate and pace is high.

I don't think cultural distance is the main issue - the main issue is rate and pace and the impact on the host society. Islam, however, is a unique problem because of its political /ideological nature, universalist claims, expansionist history, and the backwardness of most of the societies that host it.

Why do you think Germany took that many people so quickly? Have you even spent two minutes pondering it?

Because racist filth across Europe refused to help them, and Germany refused to burn people on the trash heap of human history for a second time.

Even worse, Germany was one of the countries who openly opposed the disgraces of Afghanistan and Iraq, while the UK poured billions into the catastrophes, and vocally blew the idiot trumpet for the US.

Of all nations in Europe, the UK ought to be shouldering an influx born of its own failed refugee-causing war machine debacle.

Instead, smug, irresponsible and negligent wankers threaten to withdraw from the EU even though they were the motherf^&$ckers who politicked and paid for regional destruction and created the very refugees they refuse to help and mock Germany for helping.

Just despicable, irresponsible, self-entitled behaviour. That's 90% of the refugee hysteria: A PR tactic for cowardly scum who refuse to pay for their international crimes.

Don't take responsibility for actively wrecking a region and choking its economy to death for decades prior; instead, point the finger harder at the only country with moral knackers and shout "the savages are raping our women" more hysterically.

Oh, and all the while Germany, while doing the right thing mopping up the UK's failures in Iraq and Afghanistan, still had a budget surplus of US$13B.

The absolute bullshite people will believe to avoid taking responsibility for their own crimes.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:06 am

pietillidie wrote:
I just love the grotesque immorality of willfully contributing to destabilising and wrecking countries, and bastardising their politics and economies for decades on end, and instead of noting the mass, absolutely mass suffering and death caused by that, jumping up and down about the problems which result at the other end and are eminently manageable.

Piles and piles and piles of dead bodies and horrific suffering actively contributed to over that side, and ineffective education and policing over that side resulting in some menace and discomfort.

A mountain range of wilful evil versus a small hill of difficulties and threats.

I just find the ignorance an act of moral peasantry. Now, only now dumbf$&$cks have an opinion on these things. Where the hell was everyone when this mountain range of death and horror was being built?

Disgraceful. Just typically disgraceful moral peasantry. There *are no* disqualified human lives that deserve to be burned upon a trash heap like the native populations of old. Yet that is *exactly* what we have happily contributed to for decades in these countries.

So, you've got grotesque immorality preceding this flow of human suffering.

Now, we're getting the same justifications as were made against the native "savages" to let them rot and die away.

However, this time the billions of the fuc%&ers just won't die. The repercussions of decades of horrific amorality and death, and the new genocidal arguments dressed up in "the savages are raping us" talk, won't work.

The new social cleansing and genocidal talk, willfully ignorant of decades of mass death and destruction to stabilise "our" oil supply, capped off with that high point of human evil, Iraq, is repulsive.

You'll be apologising for it soon when the statistically minor problems versus the massive mountain range of horrific death and suffering become so clear that not even rape panic talk can cover it.

Carry on in your very, very little, very conveniently ignorant, rape panic and cleansing talk.

Or, alternatively, pay your moral way by helping remedy the economic strangulation and bastardisation of that whole region on the basis of fossil fuels *we don't need to depend upon anymore*.

If you don't want to help people directly whose suffering and death you willfully contributed to historically, help them indirectly by giving them a functioning economy. Don't beg for their extermination like pests, and hide social and ethnic cleansing talk behind rape panic like the settlers of old.

Take responsibility and do something the fu$&ck about it by helping transition the world economy off fossil fuels so those people have an end game of a functioning economy, on which they can build functioning societies in their traditional lands.

The current mindset is fast becoming genocidal in the most evil of ways.

I really don't know how to take that - are you positioning yourself as the moral aristocrat nobly obliged to point out to us "moral peasants" the baseness of our ethics ? Accusing those of us who see this issue differently of favouring ethnic "cleansing" and "extermination" and "genocide"? I read it twice, and I hope there's a better interpretation.

And are you somehow implying that the entire history of the Middle East is one of passive peoples whose societies have been wrecked and bastardised by "us" ? If so, you're reading history with at least one eye closed, and making yourself blind to complex realities of power, alliance and struggle in Arab societies.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 am

Wokko wrote:
They all have cultures of fitting in, assimilating and succeeding rather than violently taking over.

Short, sweet to the point.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:03 am

pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Why do you think Germany took that many people so quickly? Have you even spent two minutes pondering it?

Because racist filth across Europe refused to help them, and Germany refused to burn people on the trash heap of human history for a second time.

Even worse, Germany was one of the countries who openly opposed the disgraces of Afghanistan and Iraq, while the UK poured billions into the catastrophes, and vocally blew the idiot trumpet for the US.

Of all nations in Europe, the UK ought to be shouldering an influx born of its own failed refugee-causing war machine debacle.

Instead, smug, irresponsible and negligent wankers threaten to withdraw from the EU even though they were the motherf^&$ckers who politicked and paid for regional destruction and created the very refugees they refuse to help and mock Germany for helping.

Just despicable, irresponsible, self-entitled behaviour. That's 90% of the refugee hysteria: A PR tactic for cowardly scum who refuse to pay for their international crimes.

Don't take responsibility for actively wrecking a region and choking its economy to death for decades prior; instead, point the finger harder at the only country with moral knackers and shout "the savages are raping our women" more hysterically.

Oh, and all the while Germany, while doing the right thing mopping up the UK's failures in Iraq and Afghanistan, still had a budget surplus of US$13B.

The absolute bullshite people will believe to avoid taking responsibility for their own crimes.

I think this ignores many of the nuances of the Syrian conflict. There's reason to think that the Arab Spring might have happened with or without the Iraq War, and it's hard to see how the civil war could have gone better without the west's minor intervention. I'd be much quicker to point the finger at Russia, whose sponsorship of the Assad government has been one of the key factors in trampling a popular uprising and allowing the emergence of ISIS.

On a longer-term analysis, I agree that Western economic/military involvement has played a significant role in the maintenance of many of the corrupt authoritarian systems that brought about the Arab Spring in the first place. But I'm not sure Germany gets a free pass on that one.

Also, the German budget surplus is hardly something to boast about given that, as you were reminding us just a few months ago, they have achieved a far better deal from the EU than many of their smaller neighbours.

I share your anger and frustration on this topic, but I think you're reducing some of these things into too-simple binaries of good guys and bad guys. And like Mugwump, I think we need to recognise the agency of Middle-Eastern actors and stop pretending that everything bad that happens in the world is the West's fault.

For me, the equation is simple: it doesn't matter, in this sense, whose fault the Syrian conflict is. The problem right now is that there is a major humanitarian crisis, and it would be an act of craven cowardice to allow that burden to be borne by Jordan, Egypt and Turkey alone. For rich Western countries, taking Syrian refugees shouldn't be considered optional; the question is simply how many we can accommodate and how we can effectively manage that intake. That means acknowledging this disturbing gang violence in Germany, actively working on ways to prevent it in future but not allowing ourselves to lose a sense of proportion or get sucked into xenophobic isolationist rhetoric.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 am

I think the history of the major oil-producing countries in the Middle East is widely misunderstood. Those countries inherited a vast wealth which was prospected, developed and in some sense purchased by Western powers using
Western technology across 1910-1950. In many cases the commercial terms were unduly advantageous to Western governments, amd the Arabs rightly came to resent the terms that had been signed by their forebears and agitated strongly for renegotiation. Tense negotiations followed, but a deal might have been struck had it not been for the vogue for nationalisation which caused populist leaders (Nasser, Mossadeq, and the Iraqi poltters of 1958) to expropriate these assets -technically owned by foreign companies and nations - for local political purposes. There was an understandable backlash in the form of sanctions and political manoueverings (including coup support for pro-Western plotters in Iran) by Western powers. The coup in Iran was probably the least efficacious of these excursions, at least in terms of its long-term effects.

Iraq's nightmare is really largely of its own making, and it stems from the vicious and bloody murder of King Faisal III and his court in 1958 by a military coup. Today's Iraq is worse than under Saddam (for many but not all), but Saddam was a monster fuelled by a corrupt and militarised state built on oil. He was the West's ally for a time, of course, because economies built on oil had to do deals with oil-producing nations, and Iran made Iraq even more important. It was when Saddam invaded Kuwait (but was really threatening Saudi Arabia) that the US acted against him.

In truth, there are few black and white rights and wrongs in this story, but a history of many parties trying to access the blood of the world's economy, and doing what was necessary to maintain their interests - personal, party and national. Violence, deals, coups, cartels and power. That's how history works when critical resources are at stake. It always has, and always will. When oil wealth declines the ME will probably implode on a scale that makes today's crisis a summer picnic.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:14 am

No, David, that's the simpleton and predictable and way-too-easy response. It's the Facebook response.

Of freaking course the region has its own madmen. Does anyone expect a Nobel prize for repeating the bleeding obvious. Christ, you're slipping into the realm of the irredeemably socially-influenced there. What next, lions are carnivores? Fish swim?

It's about taking responsibility for the things within the sphere of your control. You do know that, right?

Using other people's chaos as cowardly cover for US$3T, not even US$3B, US$3T worth of interferences in a region, which at the proximate time created 1.5M refugees, is a bleeding joke. I couldn't give a flying %$^$%^&%% how many deranged bloodthirsty ISIS loons exist out there except as to stop the insane nuts. But, well beside the evils which exist out there in the freaking universe, first and foremost take responsibility for your own actions.

Have you even begun to wrap your mind around how much intervention has locked those economies into oil? Have you tallied up the billions since the 1940s spent in systematically locking down those economies under tyrants and criminals? It would be be tens of trillions of dollars over seven or whatever decades. I couldn't care less how many Facebook idiots can't compute the extent of the interference. Plenty of the same can't imagine the implications of millions of years for evolution, for Pete's sake.

Fred and Mary's mental and environmental issues don't justify one's own murder and destruction. Nope; Fred and Mary's culpability has not a single freaking thing to do with the expenditures I make to blindly f&^$%ck up an entire region for my own benefit or otherwise.

You think you're being rational by dividing up culpability; 10% here to that factor; 12% to the other; 26% to another. Again, a completely pretentious effort to be "objective". Morality, doesn't give a f%^#ck about the others. It gives a f^%$ck about my slice of the pie.

Curiously, you and Mugwump never ever get around enumerating our slice of the pie. You obsess over stating the existence of factor X and Y, but never the size of your slice of the responsibility pie. It's as if, after listing six other causes, you've run out of breath and just can't bring yourself to quantify your freaking slice.

What size of the Pie of Destruction belongs to those you and Mugwump identify with? Do you have a silent agreement that you'll only pay up morally if ISIS and some other deranged terrorist group pays up? Is that the moral arrangement you have? Our derangement is less than <some other twit's derangement>, so we wash our hands of it?

Again, I don't give a flying f^$ck about the other factors in the game; I've studied those for years now; sane people predicted this sort of chaos following Iraq; geographers worried about the exploding demographics of unemployed males decades ago; mainstream textbook economics and development economics has always said the Middle East economies are locked out of development and locked into tyranny because of the resource curse, made worse by said curse being a monopoly resource curse.

I doubt that you'll find a single textbook written ever which says otherwise about those economies.

Can you or Mugwump list for me the UK's slice of the pie of destructive interventions in that whole region? Oh, sure, I know you can tell me about Putin's role off the top of your head, but i doubt either of you have a clue about the extent of the UK's role, let alone its role going back in time. You wouldn't know the sums and outcomes and agreements and contracts and lobbying efforts and tyrants courted over time, and so on.

But you're satisfied to tuck it away at the end of those factors you never finish enumerating, hoping by the time you get to the end moral responsibility has miraculously evaporated.

It's exactly, I repeat exactly, the same BS arguments as put forward prior to Afghanistan and Iraq. Where the hell did you think those US$3T on the US side alone went to, in that decade alone? Do you think it sunk innocuously into the sands?

Go on, have a crack at giving me a combined percentage of bastardisation of that region; a political stasis and economic stability culpability sum.

Or, instead of talking about the polity and polities in which you and Mugwump and I are involved or identify with, do you want me to go and negotiate with ISIS on behalf of these millions of poor sods?

"Hello, Lead Psycho. Mugwump and David told me you're responsible for 11.62% of present suffering, and that I should seek damages from you on people's behalf."

Because that's the level of nonsense this PR stunt dressed up as a serious moral argument is trapping you in.

Does any sane person on the planet think, say, the f^%$ckup of the region by Western intervention over decades doesn't warrant taking on responsibility for a few million refugees? Or at least warrant the knackers to share the burden with Germany? Or to pool resources to create an alternative arrangement somewhere, somehow? Or at the very least make sure the region can develop real, non-monopoly, non-tyrannical economies going forward by pissing off oil?

Let's say we wanted to be even more moral by going beyond correcting our own damages. Let's say we also try to stop ISIS. Whoops, we can't, because some effwit spent all the money needed on two failed wars already.

Of course, there isn't a legal process on the planet which would give you your 7.23% culpability; like the contributors at Nuremberg you'd get 100% of the noose for your fraction of the total chaos.

And on Germany's economy, exactly! The money flowed their way under the single currency, and they corrected their Greece error by taking responsibility for refugees. You've got a problem with that? Is it too complicated for you to consider that a country might make one bad decision and then one good decision? You'd prefer Germany make two errors in a row, instead? You'd prefer Merkel lose two political battles against immoral arseholes instead of one?

Compare that to big mouth UK, which puffs its chest out arrogantly and mocks Germany, even as its own economy performs worse than Germany's, under its own currency and economic arrangement, without taking any moral responsibility for its actions in the world.

(And, note, I couldn't even be bothered talking about the US).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:46 am

The Arabs (and the Iranians) were gifted a pathway to prosperity by geography and they blew it. That pathway was to sell the oil and reinvest the proceeds to build a strong, diversified and well-educated economy, while renegotiating terms with oil-consuming governments that reflected a reasonable return on the capital that those countries had invested. In truth, noone in the oil-consuming nations stopped them from doing that.

Instead, Arab and Iranian politicians used oil as the prize for populist expropriations, vote-buying socialism, military coups, politically-driven cartels, cross-border wars, dictatorships, and theocracy. It's very sad, but it seems encoded in the reaction of conservative religion Vs modernity that characterises the region, plus fractious internal politics born of Sykes-Picot and the Cairo conference.

In truth, I think the oil- consuming world has made many ill-judged steps along the way in its dealings with the oil-producing nations ; but wise nations are responsible for their own destinies. A few (Haiti is probably the prime example) are seriously abused and permanently damaged by colonial violence and extortion. The Arabs, on the other hand, had a hand full of aces and turned then into twos and threes.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 am

Is it the only one?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:04 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Because racist filth across Europe refused to help them, and Germany refused to burn people on the trash heap of human history [i]for a second time.

Bullshite!!

Migrants stopped at Budapest continue standoff, demand passage to Germany

There have been more scenes of desperation and protest in Hungary as a train load of migrants who thought they were heading for Germany refused to disembark.

Police tried to force them into a registration camp just a few kilometres into their journey from Budapest.

That standoff continues and there are continuing demonstrations outside the main Budapest train station as many more people demand onward passage to the preferred destination, Germany.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2015/s4305891.htm

Tell me did the racist filth across Europe not feed them, clothe them, arrange shelter and bedding for them, provide health care and try and assist them to register so their claims could be processed???

There's a very practical reason why Germany is taking in so many refugees

While many European countries say asylum seekers could damage their economies if they let in too many, Germany is counting on the record numbers pouring across its borders to save its own.

Berlin estimates its working age population will shrink by 6 million people by 2030 as the number of deaths outstrips births, making it hard to keep the economy growing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-in-ageing-germany-refugees-seen-as-tomorrows-skilled-workers-2015-9/?r=AU&IR=T

Germany is currently the preferred destination for tens of thousands of migrants in central Europe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911[/i]

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:39 pm

^Obviously, der, *hand clap* - the other countries were too cowardly to state their policies with clarity. You reckon these poor souls just can't wait to get their fill of greasy bratwurst and pretzels? Laughing They had no confidence in other countries for very, very public reasons. I take it you haven't read European newspapers lately Rolling Eyes

Merkel led and qaushed racism publicly and did the right thing; many other countries had openly racist and vile public debates - Hungary being the most grotesque of all from memory. Did you hear their leaders override the creepy racism like Merkel? Where would you try to go?

And of course Germany is greying making it a good long-term move. Double der. And, what? No one else is greying? France, Italy, Spain, Poland, the UK and others aren't? The others are doing so much better than Germany they don't need future workers Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 29 of 74   

Jump to: