Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
While Picken may not have been a star his whole career, he's been a pretty regular and remarkably durable senior footballer for the past 8 seasons, averaging 22 games a season and never under 20 in that time. Would have been well worthy of a father son pick accordingly, albeit his value was slow to be spotted by all clubs.

Accordingly, I think I'd be a little slower to defend his non-selection than to suggest that he's only been good for the past couple.

He did a preseason with us in 2005 or 2006, then promptly looked too small, too slow and too talentless for the VFL. I think he came good for Williamstown in about his 3rd season there. He went to Footscray as a rookie at a time when he would scarcely have warranted a place on our list. He's been OK for them but only been a genuine player since 2015. So, he's had 2 outstanding seasons at age 28-30. It's probably downhill from here.

With all due respect P4S, I think that assessment smacks of being a little blinkered.
Clearly he has prospered under Beveridge, but the 2 prior years he was regarded as about the best tagger going around as that was the role he was assigned.
A non-genuine player doesn't simply play 20 games a season, year in and year out, for any club.

8th Club B&F in 2011
3rd in 2012
9th in 2014
10th in 2015
5th in 2016

Clearly he was slow to emerge and maybe he'd have tested our patience and been lost to another club had we selected him F/S, but he's been a footballer of substance for some time now.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:46 pm

Blinkered? The question is whether we missed out by not taking him in 2003 or 2004 as a F/S. He didn't even get on an AFL rookie list until 2009. There is simply no way Collingwood would have kept a small-medium project player on the list for that many seasons, hoping he would come good. Thus, if we had drafted him, he would have finished up playing his good late-career football somewhere else, anyway.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Also in 2003 we had a lot of good HBFers
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
While Picken may not have been a star his whole career, he's been a pretty regular and remarkably durable senior footballer for the past 8 seasons, averaging 22 games a season and never under 20 in that time. Would have been well worthy of a father son pick accordingly, albeit his value was slow to be spotted by all clubs.

Accordingly, I think I'd be a little slower to defend his non-selection than to suggest that he's only been good for the past couple.

Yep. +1.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Was the twin Anthony Williams that played for Port Adelaide and was killed at a young age in a building accident?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Albert Parker wrote:

Picken was 22 when he was drafted which means he'd been overlooked by every club for 3 drafts before Willi paid for him to get a rookie chance at the Doggies who they were affiliated with. He did 1 preseason at the Pies and 2 at the Doogies without being offered a chance. Liam Picken himself has said it took him a while to realize he wanted to play AFL footy and do the work necessary. What is there to defend.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:49 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

Was the twin Anthony Williams that played for Port Adelaide and was killed at a young age in a building accident?

Yep.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:40 am

One of the Twomey sons and the Weed's boy good without being great

Another an interchange in 1990 GF --Jamie Turner son Ken

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:51 am

barrybc41 wrote:
One of the Twomey sons and the Weed's boy good without being great

Another an interchange in 1990 GF --Jamie Turner son Ken

David Twomey won goal of the year I think it was a few bounce, long goal at North's ground in 1979. He had a good year.

Mark Weideman kicked a goal with his first kick in VFL footy, from the boundary at the city end of Vic Park. Injuries curtailed his career.

Jamie Turner was known in the Rush Stand as Jamie Turnover for obvious reasons.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:00 am

David Twomey looked like he was going to have a very long career until he hurt his leg in 1981 (an ACL, I guess, although I don't really remember - on a sprinkler cover at Vic Park, IIRC) and Jamie Turner was a late bloomer. By the end of his career, he played for the (second) Victorian team and he was a solid contributor in the Collingwood side. I think he played every game in 1990, didn't he?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:51 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^

I can't recall how many games he played but by that stage he was a certain starter and would only have been out of the team if he was injured, despite the nickname.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:55 pm
Post subject: Daicos and Brown (jnrs)Reply with quote

Anybody got any good mail about these two?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Their old man's were OK. Rolling Eyes
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:32 pm

no, sorry. I know Daicos played for the Oakleigh chargers, and occasionally saw he would kick a goal or two, but was never in the best players. I hear he has not been over exposed at this stage,
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Both of them are Hacks , poor hand and foot skills Wink Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 29 of 41   

Jump to: