Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#35 Nick Daicos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Age article

Brownlow bonus: Daicos can cash in on contract clause
By Sam McClure, July 12, 2023 — 7.30pm

How many players have bonuses in their contract that are worth more than their base salary? Not many. If any. But if Collingwood superstar Nick Daicos wins the Brownlow Medal in his second year of senior football, he may become the first.

Two senior industry sources, who wouldn’t be named because player contracts are confidential, confirmed to The Scoop that Daicos has a “Brownlow clause” in his contract, worth more than $100,000.

Daicos, the son of Collingwood legend Peter and younger brother of teammate Josh, signed a two-year contract extension before he played a game, with his management negotiating a clause that would give the player a huge bonus if he was to win a Brownlow in any of his first four seasons.

The bonus would have to go into Collingwood’s salary cap, but it can be paid in future years if the club decides. Daicos, in just his second year, would be earning a base salary of $120-140,000, plus match payments of approximately $5000 per game.

This column spoke to several senior football figures across the competition, including list managers, football heads and chief executives, and none could remember a single player in modern history who had such a clause in his first contract. Neither Collingwood nor Daicos’ management wanted to comment publicly on an individual contract. Daicos is currently a short-priced $1.80 favourite for the Brownlow on Sportsbet.

Link:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/brownlow-bonus-daicos-can-cash-in-on-contract-clause-20230711-p5dnf9.html

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:36 pm

How much extra will he get when he wins the Copeland, Brownlow and Norm Smith? Cool
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:46 pm

...and MVP, the premiership...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:15 pm

Poses an interesting question. What if the club believed their finals campaign could benefit from Nick from missing a home and away game to have him cherry ripe for September. Obviously no votes on offer in that game and could ultimately cost him the Brownlow, the coaches award, the Copeland and a significant wad of cash.
duke750 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 pm

There is a week’s break between the last round the first week of finals. Then hopefully a week’s break between the Qualifying and Prelim finals. I believe that these breaks preclude the need to rest players unless they are carrying serious niggles.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:40 pm

I hope Nick doesn't lose his head over getting so much money at such a young age. I trust Peter will make sure he is well invested for the future and keeps his feet on the ground (so to speak).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:15 pm

The last person on the list I would imagine to be goggle eyed over contract size is young Nick.

A very grounded young man with his entire being focused on being the best he can today but better tomorrow - and better every day after that.

Peter will tell him the money is great but the game is greater.

Focus on the money after you stop being able to play the game.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:24 pm

jonmac1954 wrote:
The last person on the list I would imagine to be goggle eyed over contract size is young Nick.

A very grounded young man with his entire being focused on being the best he can today but better tomorrow - and better every day after that.

Agree - Peter looks like done a Fantastic Job Parenting Nick and Josh.

Play Well and money part take care of itself

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:41 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:

Agree - Peter looks like done a Fantastic Job Parenting Nick and Josh.

Play Well and money part take care of itself

As long as Peter gets his beach house, he's happy.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:42 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
... What if the club believed their finals campaign could benefit from Nick from missing a home and away game to have him cherry ripe for September. ...

duke750 wrote:
There is a week’s break between the last round the first week of finals. Then hopefully a week’s break between the Qualifying and Prelim finals. I believe that these breaks preclude the need to rest players unless they are carrying serious niggles.

Well, Tom Mitchell is this week's sub...
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:47 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
I hope Nick doesn't lose his head over getting so much money at such a young age. I trust Peter will make sure he is well invested for the future and keeps his feet on the ground (so to speak).

Surprised by this. I was thinking the opposite! Exclamation (Well, not opposite, but...)

You add base and match payments, plus $100k/4 (Brownlow bonus spread over 4 years) and it's about $300k. Is that really "so much money"? Question

I guess it depends what you're comparing. Compared with a 19- or 20-year-old off the street... But I auto compared it with the obscene $7-million contract of a dumped ruckman who can't take a mark and bashes a lotta hit outs straight to the oppo. So I thought $300k a year for a Brownlow Medalist is a bargain.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:43 am

300k cause he's a second year player. Without that restriction he's a 1mill player.

Bargain
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:25 am

'bout that Brownlow...

Luckily for Nick, Melbourne dropped Grundy...

'Cos without Grundy getting in his way, Gawn dominated:

"Max Gawn recorded 215 ranking points in a best on ground performance. Gawn had 29 disposals, 21 contested possessions, 17 hit-outs to advantage, 10 clearances and seven tackles." (afl.com.au)

Which means Gawn will get 3 Brownlow votes...

Which means Petracca will get only 2 votes. (Another 4 goals on the night.)

"Melbourne scored 54 points from stoppage situations, led by Max Gawn and Christian Petracca. The pair had 17 clearances and 15 score involvements between them."

And Brownlow predictors say Petracca is Nick's biggest Brownlow threat.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:19 pm

somehow Grundy gets linked to Nick Daicos potentially not winning a Brownlow, now I've heard it all! Not that I give 2 effs about an umpire's midfielder award 😛
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:20 pm

Let's talk Norm Smiths and premiership medallions, that'll get me interested 😀
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 29 of 34   

Jump to: