Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Grundy thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
Culprit wrote:
His contract should never have been agreed too so the first step would ask Grundy to renegotiate his contract and take a pay cut for the club/team. None of us can make the call and in saying that the new coach will have no emotional ties and will make the call.

You must be joking. Ask him to renegotiate after one year.
You know what he’d tell you.
And in regards to trading him, bit late now. Crows had No1 pick LAST year.
The club's hands are tied with his contract, some things got to give as it's broken.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 am

It's been nearly a week since he last demolished an opposition team personally, so we probably should trade him out, now, before he loses further value on the "What has he done for us recently?" principle.

What you do when you have an all-time great coming towards the peak of his career is you let the 10 or so children you have drafted in the past two years to play in the midfield develop and come through to get an armchair ride from the best ruckman ever to pull on a black and white jumper. You stop worrying about the temporary insanity occasioned by having people who could not perform the coaching task adequately and let your team develop under a competent coach.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:08 am

Hopefully the coming of a new coach and system will iron these bedbugs out.

Imo we'll get another 2 seasons out of Pendles barring inj, and 3-4 from Sidey (who is hopefully used as a small fwd directing the fwd line from here on in... ).

But back to Grundy, I don't disagree with you P4S in many ways it would seem to be folly to 'trade' him out, and personally I'd prefer to keep him - but all things must be looked at objectively with this reset - you have to admit that 'being a great ruckman' on its own isn't actually good enough considering his 1. cost & 2. possible value to other clubs and what that could bring in a 'rebuild'.

I very much doubt he'd be traded out by an incoming coach, but we'd want to make up our minds if he's going to be a key part of our next flag by the end of next season at the latest.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:38 pm

I’m happy for the Club to make any trade it wants but we don’t have to conduct a fire sale for the specific purpose of losing one of our truly great players of the last half century and pay a portion of his salary to watch him win 3 flags running a competent midfield somewhere else. That’s just crazy talk.

The Club made a decision to get the Albatross out of the Club at the end of 2019. The rest of the competition understood that we had contracted a vanilla mid who is no good in traffic and tends to run backwards - for 6 years and on ridiculous money. It took them 2 offseasons to get that deal done. They made a strange call to move a real talent on, as well. When you look at the number of people who were on significant salaries but have been moved on and replaced with kids on low rates since the end of 2019, it is inconceivable that we would need to trade Grundy for almost nothing and pay a portion of his salary.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I’m happy for the Club to make any trade it wants but we don’t have to conduct a fire sale for the specific purpose of losing one of our truly great players of the last half century and pay a portion of his salary to watch him win 3 flags running a competent midfield somewhere else. That’s just crazy talk.

Isn’t the discussion around Grundy? Confused Confused
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Bottom line - regardless of any salary deals - Grundy is worth 2 X 1st rounders, averaging pick 7-8 at least. I wouldn't touch a deal otherwise, and I'd most likely want a 2nd rounder too.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Love to see the 2nd half stats and any attempt to excuse them, million dollars my arse, if he was worth even half that he would have stepped up against inferior opposition

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:19 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Love to see the 2nd half stats and any attempt to excuse them, million dollars my arse, if he was worth even half that he would have stepped up against inferior opposition

what would be better is the second half stats of the Carlton rucks (including Silvagni).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:06 pm

The AFL doesn't do the stats that way. It looks to me like Grundy didn't have a disposal after half time (he may have had, at most, 3). Collingwood won the hitouts comfortably. Carlton won the clearances by 14 (they were leading by 10 at halftime, IIRC and had a marked lead in the centre clearances at the halfway - maybe 4? - and won the centre clearances over the game by 5).

Here's the stats: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/3161#player-stats

Walsh and Kennedy (whoever the f&^k he is) thrashed our mids.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:10 pm

He was awesome early. First 1.5 qtrs he looked every bit the million dollar man. Not sure what then happened!
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:12 pm

We could trade Grundy for the top ten draft pick GWS gets from our Treloar deal
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:22 pm

At best he is very inconsistent with his impact on the game as a positive for us. At worst he is a big reason why we lose games. At the stoppages everything begins with the ruckman and what they do for you. Grundy wins the hitouts 80% of the time and 80% (stats are gut feeling) of his hitouts go straight to the opposition, he is not giving us forward momentum.

How can we fight a tidal wave and a hurricane in our face from the outset all day long. Eventually we are going to roll over. He just isn't the ruckman we need. I'm starting to care less each week about any other good things he may do. If he can't start giving us momumtum out of the stoppages then I'm happy to trade him out. I would rather have a ruckman who is unpredictable to the opppostion, it at least gives as a 50% chance to clear the contest in our direction.

It is really frustrating watching his ruckwork. If I had a shot of tequila for every tap he hit to the opposition I would be in the Alfred getting my stomach pumped by half time.

MONCO: Your life.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:28 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
At best he is very inconsistent with his impact on the game as a positive for us. At worst he is a big reason why we lose games. At the stoppages everything begins with the ruckman and what they do for you. Grundy wins the hitouts 80% of the time and 80% (stats are gut feeling) of his hitouts go straight to the opposition, he is not giving us forward momentum.

How can we fight a tidal wave and a hurricane in our face from the outset all day long. Eventually we are going to roll over. He just isn't the ruckman we need. I'm starting to care less each week about any other good things he may do. If he can't start giving us momumtum out of the stoppages then I'm happy to trade him out. I would rather have a ruckman who is unpredictable to the opppostion, it at least gives as a 50% chance to clear the contest in our direction.

It is really frustrating watching his ruckwork. If I had a shot of tequila for every tap he hit to the opposition I would be in the Alfred getting my stomach pumped by half time.

It begs the question
Why doesn't he just smash the ball forward.
With our mids running onto it.
Not once did we try this today.
FFS we need to do something different
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 pm

masoncox wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:

It begs the question
Why doesn't he just smash the ball forward.
With our mids running onto it.
Not once did we try this today.
FFS we need to do something different

If only anybody knew!

He is just not an aggressive ruckman. He isn't someone who does things to try and change the flow of the game. He always appears to be content in letting the game flow. Like you said, just wind up and thump a big hitout 30m our way into space. Just do it now and then and show some aggression. Show some desire to do something a bit different if things are going against us. Show some emotion. He is our #1 ruckman, a big guy but he just has no physical presence and we need it badly.

MONCO: Your life.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:00 am

Haff wrote:
He was awesome early. First 1.5 qtrs he looked every bit the million dollar man. Not sure what then happened!

I think he copped a hit in marking contest towards the end of the first half
Must have impacted him- as he was completely different player in second half
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 30 of 39   

Jump to: