Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

REVIVED THREAD: Olympic Park - The President's response

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going to be of the big Magpie from Victoria Park? Will that be moved in aswell? Or will it stay there and look over the former home of the Collingwood Football Club. It would be good seeing the Magpies Colours on the wall or even the walls of the club rooms of Olympic Park.

I just wonder though, who else is going to be making the move to Olympic Park, I remember hearing (or reading, or both) that Melbourne, or Hawthorn may make the move to Olympic Park, though I don't think it was Hawthorn because I think they decided to make Tasmania their "home" along with the Saints. But is any other team going to make the move to the ground, like they did when Docklands opened up?

I really hope the coverage of the Grand Final is better then last year's, and they show the TAC Cup, because I used to always enjoy watching the TAC Cup, Reserves and then Seniors grand finals, now there is only the AFL one shown on T.V, and the VFL one is on ABC with boring commentators.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:17 pm
Post subject: Re: olympic parkReply with quote

the president wrote:
As for before the game it's the only place to be. The cricketers on steroids!!!

Isn't part of the "charm" though of the Cricketers showing the few meagre opposition supporters who actually even show up anymore how great we are?

Olympic Park might be a great place for the Collingwood Army to congregate, but nothing can beat the looks on the faces of the people who wish they were us. Cool
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:20 pm

Oh, I forgot I actually had a serious question too. Embarassed

What happens to all the bricks with our name plates on them in the gym at Vic Park. Will they be moved too? If not, what happens to them?
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:06 am

Joe wrote:

It is amazing that Optus Oval continues,full credit to Carrrrrrrlton.

i wish it wasnt still going actually. remember that time we had to play there? (when we got our record caning). what a shithole.

just like vic park. yes i have fond memories of it, but its now a run down druggy infested dump. im glad we are moving. the stands are falling apart, the floors out in the open are rotting. there are syringes laying around. its day is past.

i look forward to our move to olympic park Smile
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:04 am

Are we going to stop playing our Home games at Docklands. The Club moved our home venue from Victoria Park to the MCG. We play to many games at the Docklands as it is.

One example is we play our home game against Stkilda at their home ground.

Is this because the AFL pushes us to play at thier to boost the attendance figures for the stadium or is it a Collingwood Football Club has done a deal with the Stadium and if so what has been the financial benifit to the club?

Yes Eddie it is my biggest Gripe, if I wanted to go to that Stadium I would follow Essendon.
gopies 2003 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:44 pm

Hi Ed,

Thanks for offering to field questions.

Could you let us know what the situation with the VIS. Will we be a sharing of resources for example (particularly sports medicine etc) ?

On the same theme will there be any sharing of resources with the Storm ? (and on this point it was good to hear the McGough has been getting tackling practice from the Storm assistant coach).

It seems to me to be in the best interests of all the parties involved at OP to try and arrange resource sharing arrangements.
the president Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:58 am
Post subject: olympic parkReply with quote

Been a big week sorry about the tardiness of replies.
Some questions I will come back to finals tickets etc.
Olympic Park: We will pay a commercial rent.
Building paid for by Olympic Park/Govt.
Relocation costs incurred by CFC.
We expect Olympic Park will provide a number of opportunities to increase existing revenue streams and give us the opportunity to tap new fields. Better shop, pourage rights, catering, functions, signage, sponsorship etc.
Move in April/May.
Facilities initially for Collingwood and VIS once we bed ourselves in we will look at the opportunity for others to use the facilities. Priority is for the players.
Beheard. All areas of our extended business outside putting a team on the field are in keeping with the business of being a 21st century sporting club.
I reiterate the number one priority for the facilities is to provide the best possible training facility to put the best team on the ground each week.
The entertainment facilities to provide the best combination of facilities in conjunction with the MCG social club for our members enjoyment and to cater for requirements of our partners.
We expect Olympic Park to continue to strengthen the CFC profit margin.
MCG social club is obviously a match day facility (home and away) but is under the control of the MCC.
Olympic Park we control 24 hours, seven days, 52 weeks where we have control of rights as indicated above.
With an average crowd of around 60,000 at the MCG the MCG social area will be full and like all other areas at the MCG will have a curfew.
Olympic Park will be under our control. Some will want to come over to see the players, have dinner etc. Others will want to go home, others will want to go to the cricketers. It's all about choice.
What happens if it doesn't work? My neck.
Other questions. Wheelchairs? OK.
Social club area holds 16,000 home and away, ground holds 100,000. Existing reserve seat areas will remain.
Our co-tenants are the VIS.
We will negotiate and encourage other sporting clubs to use our facilities when not being used by us.
Hope that answers as many questions as possible. Eddie.
PS. Feel free to keep asking questions.
Rosewall Woman 3 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:27 am

Do you sleep Eddie???? Thanks for your openess. I am sad about leaving Vic Park, but realistic to know it was a money pit to keep its head above water. I can't wait for the move to Olympic park. For me, from outer north west, it will be dead easy to get to via public transport, and pop into the shop anytime in town!! I expect that there will be suitable openings etc for both Olympic park and MCG social area.

Again appreciate your time. Go Pies
Rosewall Woman 3 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:12 am

Understand now why you are still awake... discussion with Magpie Greg on another bb!! I am awake due to night shift, no sick littlies.
beheard 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:38 am

Thanks Ed. I'm still concerned about the blanket statement regarding 21st century sporting clubs. If the biggest and brightest has to rely on extended business interests there must be something wrong with the system. Maybe there is. We shall see.

regards
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:31 am

Thanks for responding Eddie.
kaz7 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:05 pm
Post subject: Olympic ParkReply with quote

Hey Ed
Thanks for your continuous responses and efforts to be a President of the people. I note that you said relocation is scheduled for April/May. As I work in construction I know there are always unscheduled and often unexpected delays and assuming this pushes out to May/June, how will this affect scheduling of supporter nights like Club night etc, as these usually kick off in April. Will they be held at McHale as usual until the relocation or not until relocation is completed (or not at all?)
Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

AGE Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:46 am

What will become of Victoria Park once we leave next year??
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:30 am

Great question AGE.
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:50 pm

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/newsroom/news_item_archive.asp?id=140

Bracks unveils new future for Victoria Park - 19 September 2002

Abbotsford’s historic Victoria Park football oval will be opened as a public park under a plan unveiled by the Premier, Steve Bracks, today.

Mr Bracks said Victoria Park would be transformed into public open space as part of an urban renewal project worth around $25 million.

“This project reflects the community’s need for more open space and better housing options,” Mr Bracks said. “Disused land beside the neighbouring railway station will be transformed into housing.

“The Government wants to take this unique opportunity to give the former Collingwood ground, and derelict railway land adjacent to it, a new lease of life.”

A Victoria Park working group, representing the community, the City of Yarra and the State Government, will be established to explore the future directions for the site and oversee an agreed development option.

Collingwood Football Club is due to relocate its training and administrative headquarters from Victoria Park to its new home at Olympic Park in late 2003.

“The Bracks Government will ensure the Collingwood community’s century-long association with Victoria Park will not end with the departure of the Football Club,” Mr Bracks said.

“The cultural heritage of the Park will be protected while opportunities for enhancing this key inner city asset will be fully explored.”

Mr Bracks said the working group would develop an urban design framework for the future use of the ground and adjoining land.

“The group will build on the important principles for future development of Victoria Park already established by the City of Yarra,” he said.

“The Government has entered into a partnership with the council to develop a strategic plan and financial arrangements which will, over time, bring the oval back to the people.

“We will work with the City of Yarra and the community to reinvigorate Victoria Park as an open space available to the community all year round. The playing surface will be open for the whole community to use.

“I would encourage the community to get involved and put forward their views on the new future for Victoria Park.”

Mr Bracks praised the work of local member Richard Wynne for driving the solution and strongly representing his community.

Planning Minister Mary Delahunty said redevelopment of the site would be consistent with the aims of the Metropolitan Strategy, which is the State Government’s 30-year plan to manage growth across metropolitan Melbourne.

“This project is a good example of what we are striving for under Melbourne 2030,” she said.

“This adds to Melbourne’s network of open spaces and will see well-designed residential development with public transport at its doorstep.

“The Urban and Regional Land Corporation will manage the project to ensure excellence in urban design and community outcomes are achieved.

“Opportunities will be considered to provide community facilities and a range of housing options, including affordable housing and housing designed for the elderly, will also be looked at.”

Ms Delahunty said Heritage Victoria would undertake a heritage assessment of the ground as part of the project.

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: