Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Pell shows why he wont make Pope

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If any supporters from other clubs come on this site and say the slightest thing against the pies we attack like feral dogs(and rightly so). But some so called collingwood suporters get away with much worse.

Guess Who
Why are so many Collingwood "supporters" red-necked and intolerant? Remember their song "We are the dago Blues"

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:01 am
Post subject: Re: George Pell shows why he wont make PopeReply with quote

magpie greg wrote:

"But in a speech to US Catholic business leaders, Dr Pell said Western democracy was also suffering a crisis of confidence as evidenced by the decline in fertility rates. "Pagan emptiness" and Western fears of the uncontrollable forces of nature had contributed to "hysteric and extreme claims" about global warming.

"In the past, pagans sacrificed animals and even humans in vain attempts to placate capricious and cruel gods. Today they demand a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.""

But how could you possibly argue with that Greg?

Dr Pell is spot on, Pagan is empty and sacrifices animals every week
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Ok humour had no effect so let me point out the obvious, who cares?
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:32 pm

For what it is worth aceofstace, your humour had an effect on me. i thought it was hilarious.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:00 pm

magpie greg wrote:
aceofstace wrote:
Ok humour had no effect so let me point out the obvious, who cares?

The answer is if you dont, why post?

There are plenty of other threads for your classic comedy.

Well I guess one reason would be to point out the futility of arguing and attacking others over something that really doesn't affect us very much, I mean why all this racist finger pointing and name calling over whether some guy gets to wear a girly white smock and a funny hat in Italy?
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:39 pm

Be careful aceofstace this is one nasty piece of work you are dealing with.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:54 pm

nuxta wrote:
Be careful aceofstace this is one nasty piece of work you are dealing with.

I'm trying to find a post of his that doesn't involve denegrating others, I'll get back to you on that one
Magpie 24 Libra

AT least I have more than one jacket

Location: YIHAA! Welcome to redneck land. All typing furiously!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:41 pm

So Magpie Greg was serious about his attack on Cardinal Pell it seems?

That's very sad IMO.

He would've had more credibility if he just admitted he was an attention-seeking drama-queen.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:55 pm

nuxta wrote:
David from Canberra wrote:
just as fundamentalist christians take their roots from mainstream christianity. In both cases, the majority of the devotees of these faiths do not agree with the fundamentalists, but the extremists still take their views loosely from the original religion. The extremists must source their views from somewhere.

David, just a few questions.
1.What exactly do you believe a fundamentalist to be?
2. What is the difference between and extreemist and a fundamentalist.
3. What do you understand mainstream Christianity to be.

1. Somebody who takes the Bible fully literally and obeys it to the letter. While it seems obvious that this is the way it is intended, it would lead to some rather extreme views on certain things, such as adulterers need to be stoned, as do gay people, and those of other religions should be converted.
2. Well I guess an extremist is only considered so if the majority think differently about issues. For example, many feminists today would have been considered 'extremists' 100 years ago, just as extreme homophobes are today, and wouldn't have been considered so in the past. Therefore many fundamentalists would be considered as extremists simply because their views are not agreed with by most.
3. Good question, with all the different variations on christianity these days, it's hard to pin down a certain type of christian who is 'mainstream'. I guess this is someone who tries to live their life according to Christ's teachings but still conforms to most social expectations.

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:00 pm

The real problem with Christianity is that scholarship (the modern technique the German scholars developed over a century ago, ie cross referencing etc) has slowly disproven almost all the claims of the bible so that fundamentalists have become more extreme in response to supporting the unsupportable
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:05 pm

It's not really that simple aceofstace. Believe me I've heard most of the arguments against the validity of the Bible and I've then heard a good excuse to rebut each one. The fact is, if you believe the Bible is correct, then you believe in God, therefore you believe that he kept the Bible the way it is perfect somehow so that the message remained the same. If you don't believe in God, then it doesn't matter.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:18 pm

I'm afraid it is that simple David, the church commisioned its scholar priests at the turn of the last century to investigate the bible and give it scientific validity for the new scientific age.
The result? A mass (pardon the pun) exodus of priests from the church as they lost their faith when faced with the incontrovertible truth.
Now I am a spiritual person and believe in a higher power and have no problem if you base your beliefs on faith, but dont look to science or scholarship for proof, it is not there

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:27 pm

yes, but where does that 'faith' come from? if you throw out the Bible, then what God exactly do you believe in? For all you know he could be a malevolent force who enjoys destruction, or maybe he just doesn't give a sh*t in the first place. I too think there is some higher power, because the concept of something coming from nothing does not make sense to me. But I don't know what relevance it has, or that he really cares what we choose to do in our lives.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:36 pm

David from Canberra wrote:
yes, but where does that 'faith' come from? if you throw out the Bible, then what God exactly do you believe in?

The answer as always is within David, those who meditate make contact with something greater than themselves, their true self, divine, eternal and one with all, god can be a personal experience. Which would bring me to my main problem with Christianity and other religions, they deliberately do not teach the correct method for making contact with the divine, they demand blind faith and charge you for the priveledge, religion is just another business, much like insurance they use scare tactics (devil/sin) then offer the solution (redemption/forgiveness) all for a price

I mean reallly, is there a greater scam than "original sin" and the "one true faith" being the only salvation?

Last edited by wasteofspace on Fri May 12, 2006 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:40 pm

magpie greg wrote:
Magpie 24 wrote:
So Magpie Greg was serious about his attack on Cardinal Pell it seems?

That's very sad IMO.

He would've had more credibility if he just admitted he was an attention-seeking drama-queen.

At least I dont have pics of little boys on my photo web site like you do Al.

Wow what is your damage Greg? why is every post like that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: