Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Lexu$ Centre, has it enriched the club?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piepark 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What premiership success are we talking about at Collingwood? Once again our facilities do not guarantee premierships. From all reports they give our players advantages that some of the other poorer clubs may not get, but still no guarantees.

The supporters pour millions of dollars into this club in membership, merchandising sales, sponsorship revenue, advertising exposure and we have sub standard facilities compared to some of our other stronger counterparts. That is fact.

I hope our club starts to address this issue seriously in the future, otherwise a kid growing up watching our club train will remember a crappy cafe and a football oval on the corner of Swan St as his or her history.

We can do better than that.
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Slayer wrote:
some reminders ........

Vic Park - you could dine at the social club, have a seated meal while actually watching the players train. The large glass panes made for an excellent view of the ground. Was great having business meetings there or jus being with family and friends. And if you didnt want to dine, you just waltzed out 20 metres to the outdoor seats.

It had a billiards table, various bars ( Daicos bar, shaw bar from memory)

A selection of pub style warm food - parma's etc

And endless memorabilia that engulfed you as you walked around.

The transition from Vic Park to Lexus centre has been a joke for members (theres another free plug for lexus eveytime we talk about it)

The argument we had to make the move because we got new facilities makes sense, tho i suppose if we spent the money to upgrade the facilities at Vic park, im sure they would have also become state of the art.

But i wont argue that point, as initially i was happy to move to Lexus centre.

So lets look at our pride and joy:

The cafe at lexus is a joke.
I attended training on friday before the lions game - watched the group train, walked all the way back to the centre, visited the cafe at about 12.40 and there was no food in the case ( the glass enclosure). Thats peak eating time - midday ..... 3 adults and 3 kids made up our group, we waited as it seemed there was only one staff member....and we waited. til we had enough and left.

Training happens down at Punt / Hoddle - our home is the other end of the block by the river, kinda unusual given how most clubs have the training ground attached to their home. I understand there are works in progress ..... however our other training ground was also a fair walk.

There are comments that this is all about short term pain for long term gain. Something about a new stand / developement ???

so i say ok i can handle short term pain for long term gain - most reasonable people can. is this new stand / training ground mentioned anywhere on OUR website ? Does our club actually inform us of whats happening ? if indeed its happening ? or is this all anecdotal

I just received my new edition in B&W - and theres nothing mentioned in it ....... I also visit the website regularly and havent seen anything - so any information would be welcomed.

Taking friends to lexus has been embarasing - the cafe is closed during the Australian OPen tennis, closed other random days, or just doesnt have any food.

footnote: kind of unusual we had the love hate relationship with our council, whereas Essendon, Geelong, St.Kilda, Footscray have all made a go of it.

The move to Lexus was for the betterment of all - not just the players and corporates. Its embarassing hearing otherwise, some ppl seem to walk around with corporate written on their forehead ....... ridiculous statements like that make us a laughing stock for other clubs who seem to give a sh*t about their members

I, and i imagine many other readers, would appreciate links to actuall official communication about this 'new training ground / stand development' - would be nice to know if the club is infact doing something to make the experience of going their more enjoyable.

TOP POST Slayer... my sentiments exactly...

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Not so much that they're happy about it Tess, more like their not really too concerned.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Can someone tell me how the club with no money was supposed to move into the 21st century at Victoria Park?
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:18 am

The Lexus Centre is not the home of Collingwood Football Club and never will be. It's just a retail outlet. Victoria Park is our home and always will be.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:15 am

Quote:
It is time to move on.

The 'move on' brigade...? Well will they move on!

Quote:
Lexus Centre. In time, it'll become all generations know of Collingwood

Pure BS.

Just wipe 112 years of history from an 117 year old club?

40 Grand Finals
13 VFL Premierships
1 AFL Premiership
1 VFA Premiership
All celebrated and commiserated at Victoria Park.

Collingwood 100% made by members...?

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 am

You may be right, D4P, but in terms of growing up and watching Collingwood train, both live and on the news, press conferences, purchasing merchandice, well, it's Lexus or the MCG...

...not saying VP will be forgotten, it's just that, those born now, what else will they know (unless they're good kids and study the history books)?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:04 am

The way we are going we will soon own that many hotels I am sure the nearest pub to you will be a Collingwood FC Pub.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:15 am

I reckon there is nothing wrong remembering and appreciating the chapter in our lives that was once known as Victoria Park, A decision was made by our club sometime ago to move on some of us have accepted that whilst others havn't.
Its great to remember the past greats that trained and went on to play for our club at Victoria Park.
Many of us older Collingwood people grew up at Victoria Park we love and cherish the place, Victoria Park will be around forever the great stadium will always in some way be a grand reminder of our rich history.

But lets be honest for a few seconds here, lets wipe away the tears and appreciate what we have and i say that respectfully, Im loving it at the MCG especially the Ponsford Stand.
I have grown to love everything about modern day Collingwood it has ensured that my kids and Grand Kids will be given the oppertunity to follow the greatest football club in the whole wide world...i feel indebted to our club for making that happen.

We now live in the football age of financial stability....there will be no talk of an unsupported Collingwood Football Club moving to the Gold Coast to attract more members to stay afloat.

I also believe that those who say its time to move on have a pretty good argument, Our club aint ever returning to Victoria Park, but i also appreciate the power to remember come together and celebrate our very rich and important history...Victoria Park will always have the ability to do that, But we must do that without the want to start some type of civil war, to argue and bitch fight about the ole girl does not do it any justice, she simply deserves better.
Many young Collingwood supporters deserve the right to find there own place and make there own history at our new home Ground the MCG and the Lexus centre, just as us elders once did at Victoria Park.

The lexus Centre aint the axis of evil that some people say it is, i have grown to really appreciate the Lexus Centre, to me it represents security, it represents our club going boldly into the future.
The Lexus Centre along with our new home ground the MCG have greatly enriched our club as i stated above, it gives us sound financial stability, we're gonna be around forever...but you know what... it has enriched me greatly because my grand kids will carry on the family history of supporting our great club into the future and hopefully many premierships, when they chuck this old collingwood bugger six foot down i will be comforted with that knowledge.
Lets respect those who have shown the courage and wisdom to move this club into the future.
We're all comrades representing the greatest army..the army will rise together...good times are ahead lets embrace them together..the very ethos of this great club.

floreat pica

Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting we should still be playing AFL games at Victoria Park. The suggestion was more that we should have kept it and re-developed it as our training and social club home. I've taken the kids to see the team train at the Lexus Centre and it was pretty sad compared to what we left behind at Victoria Park. What happens when the car company clears off?....our home might become the Fruit n Veg Centre. Sold a bit of our soul I reckon.
Piepark 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:47 pm

I think some people are assuming everyone wants to move back to VP as well. That is not the point. The point is, VP had some facilities for supporters that are simply better than Lexus Centre. There was a ground where you could sit and watch the boys train for starters. On top of that you could get a meal and watch the boys train. We had a social club that existed for Collingwood people only. Opposition supporters dared not enter 'our' social club or reserved seating area.

These may all be small things but they made up the enjoyment that was Collingwood. I pay a few thousands bucks for my Legends membership in the Ponsford which is home to opposition supporters sitting around us as common place. Lexus centre is not a social club. It is a cafe with, as some people say a retail store.

As I've said my previous posts, I am not wanting to turn back time for the sake of it, but lets be honest in comparing what we CAN have for supporters compared to other clubs, that we used to have at VP.

Go Pies!
Clement 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:06 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
[
But lets be honest for a few seconds here, lets wipe away the tears and appreciate what we have and i say that respectfully, Im loving it at the MCG especially the Ponsford Stand.
Victoria Park will always have the ability to do that, But we must do that without the want to start some type of civil war, to argue and bitch fight about the ole girl does not do it any justice, she simply deserves better.

The lexus Centre aint the axis of evil that some people say it is, i have grown to really appreciate the Lexus Centre, to me it represents security, it represents our club going boldly into the future.
The Lexus Centre along with our new home ground the MCG have greatly enriched our club as i stated above, it gives us sound financial stability, we're gonna be around forever...but you know what... it has enriched me greatly because my grand kids will carry on the family history of supporting our great club into the future and hopefully many premierships, when they chuck this old collingwood bugger six foot down i will be comforted with that knowledge.
Lets respect those who have shown the courage and wisdom to move this club into the future.
We're all comrades representing the greatest army..the army will rise together...good times are ahead lets embrace them together..the very ethos of this great club.

[/b]

Can you keep off here Joffa with your propaganda!!!! You are a paid employee of the club and frankly you are only their mouthpiece now. We can all see through you buddy. You have changed and become a Parody of yourself and it is Sad. Very Sad.

Any independence or ability for you to have any free thought has been taken away from you and you have become a programmed ROBOT just like HAL. Wink
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:36 pm

Couldn't see anything personal in my posting towards you my good friend i just like you and everyone else around here has a right to an opinion, So i have to ask is it propaganda because my opinion differs to yours, or is it propaganda because im now a paid employee of the footy club and let me add as a paid employee of this football club i have not been censored in any shape or form.
Sorry that i couldnt carry the topic on as you would of liked, but like so many other collingwood supporters in town the general opinion is the club is striving forward like never before, so much to be happy about, so much to be grateful for, what i have said came from the heart, and those very same sentiments i will stick by.
If you chose to fall back on the ole propaganda line thats your right i guess, but dont expect me to entertain you everytime with a reply as i have done here, too many good things happening here on Nicks board its a great fansite the days of heated clashes have gone...big four weeks comming up....if it all goes our way im convinced of a huge September.

floreat pica 07

Last edited by joffa corfe on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Only temporarily.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Those against Victoria Park = 'Move On Brigade'
Those for Victoria Park = 'Propaganda Brigade'

10 1/4 acres of land has polarised so many over the last century.

When will there be peace?
When will the parties agree?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: