Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Have you ever driven when over 0.05 BAC

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you driven over .05 BAC
Yes
67%
 67%  [ 73 ]
No
32%
 32%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 108

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So stui, are we about to see a "have you ever lied to your parents" thread?
The Truth 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 am

Nope.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:57 am

Yes - reckon i have probably done it about 8 times as an 18yo before a pretty horrific scare - i was an emotional and messy 18yo and took off from Apollo Bay to Lorne on New Years Eve at about 2:00am - sheer madness - fell asleep at the wheel relatively low speed and ended up on a fair angle perched down a little cliff.
Slept perilously in the passenger sleep and woke in the morning to a concerned passer by who had managed to spot the car - got towed out relatively easy and somehow i was on my way a very lucky puppy.

The next time i reckon i did it - i got caught.
Was at a uni party 20yo and drove there but the plan was i wasnt driving home. My friend struggled to reverse out of the car park - battling with the manual transmission and fi think he had drunk more than he thought. As it turned out i had drunk less than i thought i would - felt ok - not under - but ok - was worried about my car - so set off from clayton to doncaster and didnt get too far down springvale road before we were pulled over. Gone 0.12 such an embarassing experience.

Next time was 11 years later about 9 years ago, really dont recall drink driving much at all - maybe 800m home from cricket training a fair few times on a Thursday night. Anyway got caught about 4:30am on a Friday night after sleeping in the car after a fair session at a pub in Fitzroy. Was not thinking straight and just craved bed and a few quality hours sleep before cricket. Was devestated - and probably went into a fair depression as a result of my self-punishment.

Got 18 months suspension but did not want to get my license back and i gave myself a self imposed suspension of 5 years.
Now i take every precaution possible to avoid driving to any situation that may result in me having a drink at all.

I was also involved in a pretty serious accident as a passenger with a good mate who i had been drinking with. The shock of the accident was unbelievable - neither of us were hurt apart from a few scratches but i truly believed when the car lost control that i was going to die. Adrenalin goes nuts.

The point is i can empathise with Heater and Dids for how they were feeling yesterday and can understand that they could have no idea of the consequences of the lie. They would have been in some serious shock - and human instinct is to self-presevate.
The 'club' should have realised this - maybe they did and have hung Dids out to dry. We all knew (95%) by 11:00am from watching this forum that Dids was in the car.

What i do not understand is how the hell they can be out drinking in the first place in a busy pub, and then to hop into a car screams of arrogance and disrespect to Collingwood.

I feel for all concerned but wish the club had bunkered down yesterday and been sure of all the facts first. They have stuffed up in a serious way unless it was a deliberate ploy to expose the lie, i dont think so as they committed to a 2pm press conference very early.

Hopefully progress and positive change will result for Collingwood.
Hopefully the incident will change our culture and save lives.
mel_kay39 

PIES PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:06 am

I voted no because I'm proud to say that although I haven't had my licence as long as a lot of ppl on here, I'm very careful about not drinking when I know I'm going to be driving. For me, it took too long to get my licence (over ten years due to lack of funds and confidence) so I'm not about to do anything stupid to risk losing it, or hurting/killing someone. I'm surprised there are so many people willing to admit they've driven a car while being drunk. I know you can be over the limit and not know it, but if you're driving the least you could do it space out your drinks, have only light beer and give it an hour or so (and lots of water in between) before you attempt to drive home. It's not that hard. Really.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Once - I was absolutely convinced I was over the limit, and was shitting myself all the way home.

I never drink if I plan to drive home, more due to paranoia than conscientiousness. However, there was one night when I went to a party with a few friends, and got pretty blind drunk. We all crashed in the guy's loungeroom at about 1, and went to sleep. I got woken up at 4am by one of the guys, who had to get to work early and wanted a lift... at first I said no, but he put me under a bit of pressure and I cracked. It was only a 10 minute drive through the suburbs in the early hours of the morning, but it's not impossible I could have been picked up, and it's pretty likely I was a fair way over the limit (Don't forget also that P-platers are only allowed to be 0.02).

In hindsight, this guy wasn't even that much of a real friend - I know that if I had been pulled over, I would have been the one to lose my license and face the consequences. And that alone is a good enough reason never to give into peer pressure like that again.

sam. Capricorn

formally known as BRoDieZ^BaBY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 pm

David wrote:
(Don't forget also that P-platers are only allowed to be 0.02).

Here in Victoria its 0.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm

I think that's what it is for all intents and purposes - they only set it at 0.02 to cover stuff like aspirin.
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Probably but I didn't know it at the time.

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:45 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
I couldnt say with 100% confidence that i havent....but i can honestly say i dont believe i ever have. Always set a designated driver (which is usually me)

DESIGNATED DAVE? :)

PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Kingswood wrote:
So stui, are we about to see a "have you ever lied to your parents" thread?

Nah. I think this one has been a good reality check. Wink

I actually blew 0.14 once but got away scott free because the Police followed me home (after I gunned it up hill from a roundabout Embarassed ) but were far enough behind that they didn't see me get out of the car and I wasn't speeding. By the time they pulled up in the street I was at the front door. They called me over, asked me to take the test, which I did but stated my objections first.

The Snr bloke got on the radio and I heard him describe the circumstances and gave my reading (which is how I know), but he was told they couldn't do squat. They were NOT happy. (but I was Razz )

Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:00 pm

ha.ha.ha. yes?
ktszyu1 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 pm

Absolutely, many times. I HATE doing it. But I continue to do it. It's never for more than 5 minutes, just usually from a mate's place to home. When I'm sober I know how stupid it is, but when I'm blind, I think "as if I'll get caught". Luckily I've just gotten my full license, so I finally have a bit of leeway in terms of one or two drinks.
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 pm

I did when I was younger but not now.

If I was earning what these guys are I would never do it. Cabs are cheap on their wage.

rambopriscilla Sagittarius

vvv USE FOUND FOR CAT!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Possibly, but I doubt it. not sure enough to vote either way.

- "No that's God. He just tries to play like Millane"
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:22 am

ktszyu1 wrote:
Absolutely, many times. I HATE doing it. But I continue to do it. It's never for more than 5 minutes, just usually from a mate's place to home. When I'm sober I know how stupid it is, but when I'm blind, I think "as if I'll get caught". Luckily I've just gotten my full license, so I finally have a bit of leeway in terms of one or two drinks.

It's not just about getting caught. It's about if you happen to hit someone - even if it's through no fault of your own - and they die, then it becomes your fault because you should not be on the road. You would then be a murderer.

My ex-husband was involved in a car accident a few years ago, an american guy visiting Australia pulled straight out in front of him ( he obviously looked the wrong way) and was killed instantly.
If my ex had been drinking then it would have been his fault. Luckily he hadn't but still had to go to court as a witness and face this man's heartbroken family and even though he was blameless it was not a good experience.

Of course everyone thinks it wont happen to them.

I have a breathalyser which we take everywhere. We decide beforehand if one of us is going to drive. If we both want to have a drink we know that the car will be staying there and we catch a cab home or both ways.

The breathalyser comes in handy for the morning after, when you would be surprised how often you can still be over the limit.

I have had a couple of drinks before a game (2 or 3) and then still been over the limit 5 hours later when I've thought I was perfectly sober.
You just never really know and it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you drink - don't drive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: