Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Frees for, frees against

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch the explanation of all the discrepancies on On The Couch with Geisch?

Half pushes, extended pushes, bumper bars.....I have no bloody idea what is and what isn't a free-kick now. How the hell can a player make a split second decision on how to contest for a mark with all this uncertainty? Ruining the game for me.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm

King Malta wrote:
Did anyone watch the explanation of all the discrepancies on On The Couch with Geisch?

Half pushes, extended pushes, bumper bars.....I have no bloody idea what is and what isn't a free-kick now. How the hell can a player make a split second decision on how to contest for a mark with all this uncertainty? Ruining the game for me.

This is going to get extremely bloody confusing just like the new chucking rule while bowling in test cricket, it will be that you are not allowed to bend your arm more than 15 degrees!! Laughing

Gotta laugh I guess............ Razz Twisted Evil
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 pm

I brought this up in the 'other games' thread on the weekend, but what's happened to a free kick for incorrect disposal? I know players have perfected this weird sort of 'flick pass' to get out of tackles, but in the Carlton v Melbourne game it had morphed into outright throwing. The umpire couldn't possibly have missed them, but no free kicks were awarded.

On a not entirely unrelated note, I've noticed that our game has started to look a lot more like Rugby in recent times: three 'handpasses' back, one kick forward is a typical passage of play now.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I actually think the previous free, against N.Brown was worse than the Reid one. Those two frees definitely killed our momentum. Still no excuse for the disgraceful final quarter though.

Couldn't tell properly on TV but Brown himself has said it was probably there.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 pm

giesch doesnt have a clue himself get rid of kb off that rules commitee and everything will be fine
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm

North +38 in the last 2 weeks (68-30).

That's nearly 9 frees for per quarter.........what a joke

nulla 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Someones sleeping with the umpires.
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Was listening top SEN this morning, fair dinkum KB is a flog. He has turned (or maybe always was) into the AFL's puppet now, pretty much justifying everything for them and of course defending the stupidity of his rules committee. Even serial Richmond caller Trout from Woodend (who happens to be my uncle in law) thinks he's an idiot now.
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Where many perceive increasing inconsistency and heavy-handedness, Gieschen says for 10 years there has been a rule disallowing pushing, holding, bumping, blocking or interfering with the arms in marking contests.

He adds umpires aren't being instructed any differently now.

But Scott says if that rule was enforced to the letter, no contact would be legal.

"My personal view is that if we've been saying you can't bump, block, push or hold in a marking contest then two of the greatest footballers of all time in Tony Lockett and Jason Dunstall would have been ineffective," Scott told reporters on Tuesday.

"It's not a great development in our game."

Scott said any marking contest involved two players pushing against each other and it was sometimes just the stronger one who was penalised.

"If one is stronger than the other, the push is going to become more obvious," he said.

Scott felt for umpires, saying even the official explanations of such incidents were extremely confusing.

Buckley, who was clearly infuriated by the Reid decision, was also left none the wiser.

"It doesn't clear it up," Buckley said.

"Right now, half a push is okay, but a full push isn't acceptable. I don't know (about) an 80 per cent push, how that's going to be adjudicated."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coaches-say-umpiring-is-changing-afl-disagrees-20130507-2j57g.html#ixzz2SaNXUXoC
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 pm

How anyone could justify this is beyond me. 12-point turnaround at a crucial stage in the match, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqDvikqIH0

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 pm

David wrote:
How anyone could justify this is beyond me. 12-point turnaround at a crucial stage in the match, too:

Really? I would've thought that was a blatant hand in the back - The old General Jimmy Clement rule?

Under the current interpretation [I HATE saying that!.. but its true!], when the man in front is back pedalling he'll be awarded a free provided he can make some kind of contact with the player behind him - true?...... That's just wrong!
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:01 pm

I think we should just throw the rule book out and implement international rules (Gaelic hybrid) instead. That is where we are heading anyway. We may as well get there quicker rather than slower. Of course, we will need a round ball too.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:08 pm

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
David wrote:

Really? I would've thought that was a blatant hand in the back - The old General Jimmy Clement rule?

Under the current interpretation [I HATE saying that!.. but its true!], when the man in front is back pedalling he'll be awarded a free provided he can make some kind of contact with the player behind him - true?...... That's just wrong!

It's a disgrace David, and it just demonstrates how the rule changes have done more harm than good for the game of Aussie Rules.

Even the 'old fart' in KB thought it was wrong, and that's saying something Rolling Eyes

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
North +38 in the last 2 weeks (68-30).

That's nearly 9 frees for per quarter.........what a joke

It's the reason Lindsay Thomas is leading the Coleman. Never seen a player dive for so many free kicks, he should be playing soccer.
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 am

Half the AFL players should be on Celebrity Splash...

Selwood, Bartel, Thomas..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: