Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thank you Tony! I can dream of being a knight again.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ23 wrote:

Now it could be just me that has read the proposal however John Howard would not qualify for the order of Australian or "kighthood"

Neither would Warnie or Hockey or Bishop or Murdoch or anyone else that has been listed here so far.

So, the motive....nothing that has come up here so far but carry on
Wink

humour (ˈhjuːmə) or humor
n
1. the quality of being funny
2. Also called: sense of humour the ability to appreciate or express that which is humorous
3. situations, speech, or writings that are thought to be humorous
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Now all we farking need is for Darryl Kerrigan to supply the jousting sticks, and our new Knights can joust and hopefully kill them bloody selves. !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Being rebuffed by John Howard on the grounds of over-conservatism would be like being mocked by George W. Bush for being a dill!

Poor old Tones must feel like Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane—rejected by John "god the father" Howard. Now all we need is the holy ghost of Menzies to join in to really test the unity of the blessed conservative trinity.

You could even hear the cock crow thrice as he was disowned by Malcolm Turnbull!

Touching to see Mary Magdalene, MJ23, weeping at the foot of the cross in his hour of need, however Laughing

MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Being rebuffed by John Howard on the grounds of over-conservatism would be like being mocked by George W. Bush for being a dill!

Poor old Tones must feel like Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane—rejected by John "god the father" Howard. Now all we need is the holy ghost of Menzies to join in to really test the unity of the blessed conservative trinity.

You could even hear the cock crow thrice as he was disowned by Malcolm Turnbull!

Touching to see Mary Magdalene, MJ23, weeping at the foot of the cross in his hour of need, however Laughing

You tend to use a significant qty of words when only a few would do.
Inherent usually in those that love to hear themselves talk.
Tell me, how many times to you re-read what you've written and chuckle to yourself at how clever you are?

You'd get a great gig writing banners for the unwashed

To take a leaf out of Wokko's book

tosser Featured Word

noun

a general insult; "jerk", "asshole". Literally: one who masturbates. See toss.
That guy is always bugging me. He's such a tosser!
See more words with the same meaning: to masturbate.
See more words with the same meaning: uncool person, jerk, asshole (general insults - list of).

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:20 pm

MJ23 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Tell me, how many times to you re-read what you've written and chuckle to yourself at how clever you are?

tosser Featured Word

noun

See more words with the same meaning: uncool person, jerk, asshole (general insults - list of).

He's just a man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ChyH9RHfY
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:35 pm

pietillidie wrote:
(98 words, most of them on-topic)

In reply, MJ23 wrote:
You tend to use a significant qty of words when only a few would do. ..... (plus more, nor repeated here, all off-topic, and mostly personally abusive. 107 words in total

Go figure

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Bud is copping his right whack on this one, desevedly so. Piss the monarchy off and all the stupid honours, let the poms jam their class system (including our cheap Australia day honours which is just a copy) right up their soap avoiding dates.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bud is copping his right whack on this one, desevedly so. Piss the monarchy off and all the stupid honours, let the poms jam their class system (including our cheap Australia day honours which is just a copy) right up their soap avoiding dates.

You know, for once I disagree with you ... only in the opposite direction! (Bookmark this thread - it doesn't happen often.)

First, I can't see any harm in the changes to the honours system. Who cares whether we call someone "Mr S. Dicknose" or "Sir Snotty Dicknose"? How can it possibly matter?

Secondly (and somewhat contrary to my first point) the brutal reality is that nearly all honours under any name or title are awarded to people who have managed to amass large amounts of money or power or influence. (Or all three.) Typically, these are people who were born into wealth or influence in the first place, and perhaps expanded their holdings - very very few people are born into an average or below-average position and wind up with knighthoods or equivalent rewards. In the words of the Bible, For he that hath, to him shall be given (Mark 4:25).

Honours, in other words, are generally given to lucky-born or ruthless people who deserve nothing of the kind but grasp them as of right. The few - the very few - who achieve high honours through pure hard work, devotion to others, and genuine merit must sometimes feel quite embarrassed about the company they keep. So why should any person with enough sense to come in out of the rain care in the slightest what they are called?

Well, I reckon it is better to use the ridiculous 14th Century titles Abbott favours, with all their stink of feudal patronage and privilege, because, in the main, patronage and privilege is just what honours are all about, and honesty is always best policy. Besides, it makes Abbott look like exactly what he is: hopelessly out of touch in the modern world. How can that be a bad thing?

Thirdly, this whole silly business is acting - deliberately or accidentally - as a smoke screen to obscure the important things that Abbott and his clowns are either doing nothing useful about or actively destroying: current examples include his attack on racial discrimination laws, his disgracefully corrupt (now ex) Minister for Superannuation Fraud and Rorts - note carefully that they still plan to reintroduce secret commissions so that their dodgy supports on the fringes of the financial planning industry will be able to keep on stealing vast sums of money from workers and pensioners - and his mindlessly vicious attacks on what's left of this country's once-beautiful environment.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm

You said you disagreed, then I think you just agreed with me.

I'm confused, I'm going back to the strip club.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Can't b much of a strip club, you've still got your top on. Shocked
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:16 am

pietillidie wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

tosser Featured Word

noun

He's just a man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ChyH9RHfY

Brilliant response to MJ23's usual indulgence in personal abuse.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:17 am

Tannin wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
(98 words, most of them on-topic)

In reply, MJ23 wrote:
You tend to use a significant qty of words when only a few would do. ..... (plus more, nor repeated here, all off-topic, and mostly personally abusive. 107 words in total

Go figure

Nail hit head. Facts Rolling Eyes Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:22 am

I'd rather be a mermaid thanks
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:52 am

A NEW HONOUR FOR PRE-EMINENT AUSTRALIANS

Tuesday, 25 March 2014
Prime Minister
E&OE
On my recommendation, Her Majesty the Queen has amended the Letters Patent constituting the Order of Australia.

Knights and Dames in the Order of Australia will be approved by Her Majesty on the recommendation of the Prime Minister.

There may be up to four Knights or Dames created in any year.

This special recognition may be extended to Australians of “extraordinary and pre-eminent achievement and merit” in their service to Australia or to humanity at large.

Henceforth, the serving Governor-General will be the principal Knight or Dame in the Order of Australia.

The first new Dame will be the outgoing Governor-General.

The first new Knight will be the incoming Governor-General.

It is fitting that the Queen’s representative be so honoured.

Invariably, Governors-General have been extraordinary and pre-eminent servants of the Australian people.

My intention is that this new award will go to those who have accepted public office rather than sought it; and who can never, by virtue of the office they have held, entirely return to private life.

The Chairman of the Order of Australia Council will be consulted on any such recommendation.

This change will not affect existing Companions, Officers or Members of the Order of Australia.

So, this is what the award is actually intended for.
And the consensus is that we shouldn't recognise Australians in this way who meet this criteria because of the title and because it has come from the Abbott gov.

And then the team work of the Tav to put things right !!
Talking about Mary Magdalene support at the cross of pietillidie

Exactly to type - carry on
Laughing

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: