Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

not eddies friend anymore

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it needs to be dragged out again, an event that shouldn't be revisited, disapointing that it is.

www.facebook/the hybernators

Last edited by 3rd degree on Tue May 06, 2014 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:00 pm

I wouldn't be rushing to criticise Goodes over this. He was probably just responding to a question from the media. I thought at the time the whole thing was blown out of proportion, but nevertheless I think Goodes was genuinely hurt over the silly remarks by Ed. Given his genuine hurt, it's only natural that he would no longer consider Ed a friend. That's his right.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:07 pm

winpies wrote:
Goodes is a tosser. Everybody makes mistakes. Eddie made one and apologised. Obviously Goodes has never made a mistake in his life! Never been a big fan of him anyway and this just confirms my feelings toward him.

I'm so over these pure as the driven snow people who like to think that they have NEVER made a mistake in their precious boring lives and like to carry on like mother Theresa.................. Rolling Eyes

One apologises, regrets, says sorry and life goes on. You can’t forever live in bloody guilt FFS. Shit happens to all of us, eternally lying in it is not the best long term solution but getting up and moving on is.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I wouldn't be rushing to criticise Goodes over this. He was probably just responding to a question from the media. .

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/adam-goodes-friendship-with-eddie-mcguire-is-over-20140505-zr4tm.html

"Goodes spoke of his hurt at McGuire's gaffe at a business function in Sydney on Monday morning.

I would have liked to have called Eddie a friend before that incident,’’ Goodes said at a Corporate Club Australia breakfast."

Were the media invited to the breakfast and was there question time?

Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Ed should've never made the comment in the first place, and once he did he should've manned up and taken some responsibility for it, like stepping away from his media commitments, but he didnt. Personally I lost a lot of respect that day for ed.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:16 pm

He apologised more than once, even appeared on 360 with Harry and offered to step away from the work he was doing with Michael Long. Even did some stuff with Adam Goodes to try and make things right.

I think that would count as "manning up" and "taking responsibility" right?

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Lesson 1.01.......... on how to lose (dubiously claimed in the first place) the moral high ground.

Adam Goodes himself has provided a magnificent running commentary over the last 12 months or so, with a mixture of actions and words, that clearly highlight his lack of maturity.

I don't listen to Ed's morning radio show - but I really really hope he just let this one go through without comment............

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Only my opinion but be should've stepped away from the media for 3 months, perhaps the season. When ed apologised he said he was tired when he said it, sounded like be needed a break anyway. TBH if you spend 24/7 yapping away you're gonna say something stupid eventually, and when it happens you need to be accountable for your words
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm

What the hell kind of AOTY goes around spitting the dum about a year-old sentence which was apologised for profusely?!
Carrying grudges does NOT fit with being effectively called the 'best Australian there is'.
I have had cause to be unhappy with Ed over a couple of things (though the "Goodes Gaff" wasn't one), but the media fascination with beating up the crap out of anything that could possibly be construed as a flaw in Eddie's character is bordering on obsession and is yet another aspect of the anti-Collingwood bias which has become a feature of Victorian culture and which has cost us so much over the years. It's time Melbourne people, the media in particular, start behaving like something other than petulant children. a label which also fits our so-called "Australian of the year", an award which lately seems to celebrate highly successful people rather than the selfless, often less well-known few who devote themselves to the welfare of others, and to the betterment of the nation.

I do happen to agree that Aboriginal Australians have been and still are treated poorly, and are at a disadvantage in many aspects of Australian life, but Adam Goodes is hardly the epitome of the downtrodden, being employed in a sport which takes racism very seriously (even over-reacting to imagined slurs on occasion), and where Aboriginals are regarded at least as highly as
their white counterparts.

We appear to have arrived at a situation where the mere mention of a person's colour is regarded as racist behaviour. If such crusaders spent as much time working to improve the lot of our native cousins, particularly in the poorest communities, as they do spouting off about the problem - yes I'm looking at you Pigboy Demetriou, surely the winner of 'Australian Hypocrite of the year' - then we might get some way toward a more even society where Aboriginal people are truly treated as equal. Just bitching about a problem doesn't make it go away, nor does vilifying those who don't fly the banner of political correctness quite high enough.

As many have said before me here: Grow a pair Goodesy!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:39 pm

As AOTY he should be trying to help people like Liam Jurrah and even teach Buddy to drive and not sucking up to corporate heavy weights and biased media. He has not done one scintilla of difference to suggest that the award he got was anything but politically motivated.
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Weak as piss headline grabbing attention whore who makes Harry look like mr incognito.

And if he has to resort to repeatedly bring up a clueless child's jibe and a very clumsy attempt at humour by Ed to highlight racism in our country we're doing just fine in that regard.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:44 pm

September Zeros wrote:
David wrote:
I think you're missing the point. Goodes wasn't given Australian of the Year for being the biggest victim. There are plenty of victims of racism (whether mild or violent) in Australia today, and many, many more around the world. The award was given because of Goodes's role in the community, work with Indigenous youth and achievements as a sportsperson. Personally, I find the whole Australian of the Year thing a bit of a joke, but under the general criteria you can't really argue against Goodes's selection.

As for him and Eddie not being 'friends' any more, I agree with Mugwump that it seems like a questionable use of the term and perhaps a little vindictive. But I don't know the context of why or how it was said. If he was just expressing how he feels now about the whole thing, then fair enough.

Can I ask you a question David? Would Adam Goodes have been selected Australian of the year if that girl had not called him an ape, if the incident never happened?

Thought not.

I have no idea whether or not he was already being considered beforehand. Considering the number of sportspeople who've been given the award, it's hardly surprising that an AFL footballer of his stature and experience should be put forward, even if what happened hadn't.

That's all conjecture. Personally, I'm perfectly happy for the incident to have been taken into consideration when he was chosen for the honour. What he did was brave and necessary, and his response in the aftermath was gracious and reasonable. That may not be a popular view here, but that's how I see it.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Yep, calling a 13 year old child from Moe who clearly had no idea her jibe will/can be construed racist the face of racism was very gracious on Adam's behalf.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Total conjecture on your part as usual. But we've been over this.

The fact that you want something to be true doesn't make it true.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Conjecture? Nah, simply your commie self talking out of your arse and looking rather silly in the process, as usual.

Quote:
"To hear a 13-year-old girl call me an ape ... it was shattering," Goodes said.

"Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam-goodes-gutted-after-13-year-old-girls-racial-slur-who-called-the-sydney-champion-today-to-apologise/story-fni5fan7-1226650256245
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: