Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

[Speculation] Is there anything to worry about?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:

Now come on all of us, rise up and join me in the Nicks Temperance & Sobriety league.

far be it for nick's to host an english lesson but why do people add the word "up" when using the word "rise"? where else are you headed when you rise? is it not a tad superfluous? it's up there with a pet annoyance of using "bought" instead of "brought" but i digress.

anyway, dr michael carr-gregg was on the radio today suggesting alcohol sponsorship should be removed. he used a similar argument to yours and the cost to society of alcohol fueled incidents. it needs to be strongly considered but i doubt it will get any traction.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 am

I understand what people mean when they say players are 'investments', but think about the implications of that: in a sense, you are saying that clubs own their bodies. That they lose the right to decide what goes in and what goes out, not just on match days or during the season, but for their entire lives so long as they remain contracted.

Is that a fair trade-off for getting a well-paid job, or an unacceptable incursion into someone's personal autonomy? I'd say the latter.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 am

i think it is a fair trade off. players are remunerated extremely well and in return there are sacrifices that should be made for that. i don't think it is unreasonable for clubs or the industry to outline their expectations of players and for the players to abide by it. the rules are the rules. in addition to this, wouldn't most players would be breaching a code of conduct as an employee of the club? would they be exempt from complying with such?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:34 am

Just ask those two silly buggers, Keefe and Thomas. sigh.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 pm

John Wren wrote:
i think it is a fair trade off. players are remunerated extremely well and in return there are sacrifices that should be made for that. i don't think it is unreasonable for clubs or the industry to outline their expectations of players and for the players to abide by it. the rules are the rules. in addition to this, wouldn't most players would be breaching a code of conduct as an employee of the club? would they be exempt from complying with such?

I think my point is more, should there be a minimum standard of off-the-job freedom that all people are entitled to? You can say it's a fair trade-off, but there's a reason why we don't let employers and employees sign contracts independent of workplace law—if we did, then a person who really wants a job might well agree to work for less than the minimum wage, if there was no alternative. Similarly, AFL players don't sign their lives away because they want to; they do it because they want to play their sport at the highest level, and they're given "take it or leave it" contracts.

We already have plenty of these safeguards to protect against exploitation. I wonder if, in addition to a minimum wage, we should also have a concept of "minimum autonomy"—that is, a certain degree of off-the-job freedom that all employees should be entitled to, regardless of how much money they're being offered. It's not the freedom to take drugs per se; more the freedom to not be punished for it (or anything else unrelated to their jobs) by the league and clubs.

I have to say I really don't like this talk of players' bodies as "investments". It's weird and kind of creepy, when you think about it.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:36 pm

I think the Keeffe/Thomas scenario will be a game changer, not just for the two players, but for the entire pro-sporting industry in Australia.

Yesterday Damien Barrett suggested Collingwood had washed its hands of Keeffe and Thomas. He said the Club was was being disingenuous by saying it legally couldn't talk to the players. It was implied that Collingwood has all but sacked them and that they will never set foot in the Westpac Centre again. Eddie said as much last week on his radio programme.

I think the players deserve to be treated as innocent until proof arrives next Thursday. But Sample A and Sample B almost always throw up the same result. I reckon we can say that Sample B will be positive also; probably a 99% certainty of this.

Reading between the lines, Collingwood has had enough. The message now will be if you can't stay free of banned, illegal substances during your career, then find another career or find another club. I think the AFL will be closing in on this mindset too.

Basically the 3 Strikes policy has given the players an unhealthy sense of security. "Heh even if I test positive, I'll have two more chances and the club won't even know. Hell, I'll self report and get more chances."

At least one club has asked for permission to hair-test its own players. I reckon for ten months of the year I would be happy enough for this. On breaks, the players should be free to do as they wish so long as they break no laws.

This week a club president was quoted as saying that his club would ".....no longer be a home of tolerance but a centre of excellence." I wonder which club president that was.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:00 pm

David wrote:

I have to say I really don't like this talk of players' bodies as "investments". It's weird and kind of creepy, when you think about it.

would you prefer "our employees are our greatest asset"?

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 pm

John Wren wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Now come on all of us, rise up and join me in the Nicks Temperance & Sobriety league.

far be it for nick's to host an english lesson but why do people add the word "up" when using the word "rise"? where else are you headed when you rise? is it not a tad superfluous? it's up there with a pet annoyance of using "bought" instead of "brought" but i digress.

Oh oh... my turn.

"Safe haven."

A dangerous haven is not a haven
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:54 pm

John Wren wrote:
David wrote:

would you prefer "our employees are our greatest asset"?

Spoken like a true HR (human remains) Manager. Wink
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:45 pm

David wrote:
^ I don't understand your logic here. Why should there be zero tolerance? Who are the victims of their recreational drug use and why do the (in my mind, already draconian) punishments need to be expanded?

I respect your views on a lot of things, Neil, but this just seems like a desire to wield control over other people's lives for no good reason.

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/12/31/heres-why-youre-an-asshole-if-you-do-cocaine-tonight

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm with David on all this.

I'm a person who considers all recreational drug use - legal (such as alcohol) and illegal - to be stupid, reckless and dangerous. However, I am totally opposed to making criminals out of people for making stupid choices with their lives. Basically, my objection to Eddie's and the AFL's stance on drug use is two-fold:

1. While it is appropriate to ban performance enhancing drug use (which, after all is tantamount to cheating), I object to any employer/club testing their employees/players for recreational drug use. What someone does in their own private lives should not concern an employer. What type of sex they have, and with whom, should also be a purely private matter.

2. Given the promotion, acceptance and embracing of alcohol by sport, at official functions, mad monday's etc, it is totally hypocritical for the AFL to try to take the high (whoops!) moral ground by declaring recreational drug use a disaster or a crisis. Darren Millane, lost his life because he was pissed.

I know that some people argue that because players are paid such big salaries, they simply have to accept these controls on their private lives by their employers. This is nonsense. If we allow employers of well-paid workers to control their private lives, where does this start and end? Soon enough, we will all be totally submissive in our private lives to the control of our employers. F*ck that!

I'm all for promoting healthy and safe life-styles. The AFL should use its influence by beginning with a policy of no alcohol promotion or use at AFL functions. Until that happens, they, including Eddie, should pull their heads right in.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:49 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
^ I don't understand your logic here. Why should there be zero tolerance? Who are the victims of their recreational drug use and why do the (in my mind, already draconian) punishments need to be expanded?

I respect your views on a lot of things, Neil, but this just seems like a desire to wield control over other people's lives for no good reason.

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/12/31/heres-why-youre-an-asshole-if-you-do-cocaine-tonight

Not sure Australian cocaine would come from Mexico. But either way, where was your t-shirt made? Your coffee? Under this logic, we're all 'assholes' (with the possible exception of the 0.05% of the population who only buy fair trade).

Museman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Is what they are doing illegal?

That is as far as you need go...if it is then 3 strikes is 2 to many.....

It is a privilege to be paid to do this...if you cannot respect that then f$%k off!!
Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:51 pm

David wrote:
Wrong. It's a category that includes legal and illegal drugs. Alcohol and cocaine are both recreational drugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_drug_use

Quote:
Recreational drug use is the use of a drug (legal, controlled, or illegal) with the primary intention to alter the state of consciousness (through alteration of the central nervous system) in order to recreate positive emotions and feelings. The popular concept of this phenomenon puts it closer to a social behaviour that many places around the world tolerate rather than to serious medical conditions such as self-medication. When a substance enters the user's body, it brings on a pleasurable intoxicating effect; in terms of psychoactive drugs, such as cannabis or MDMA, this is often referred to as a "high".

You may not like the term, but it's a widely accepted one. In this context, it also serves as a useful differentiation from "performance enhancing" drugs, many of which may also be illegal.

Ah, wikipedia, the font of all truth!!!

I'm not wrong. They are illegal. You might not like the term, but that doesn't mean you can refer to them as something else, just so that it sounds like they/you are not breaking the law.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 pm

Museman wrote:
Is what they are doing illegal?

That is as far as you need go...if it is then 3 strikes is 2 to many.....

It is a privilege to be paid to do this...if you cannot respect that then f$%k off!!

No, no, no!!! According to the Great Moderator, they are not illegal, they are "recreational".

Get your facts right!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: