Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Saints. - all comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it didn't happen?
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:19 pm

We need blokes who can come in and make an immediate impact. We have a couple of passengers at the moment which is putting too great a burden on the other players and so they should be dropped. We cannot continue to rely on gault. He's not ready and if the club are that set on him then he needs to develop in the vfl. I suspect if frizzy (howe) didn't hurt himself during the preseason then he'd be playing and gault would still be in the vfl anyway. So he's there because of a lack of serious options.

It says a lot about what the club think of White if a guy like gault is getting a game ahead of you. I'd drop Mcaffer in a heart beat. Far too slow and ineffective. He doesn't have the tank and needs to develop match fitness in the vfl but he's there because of a lack of other options and/or injuries.

As terrible as he is at the moment, Williams might still get another shot next week. I personally would drop him. 4 clangers like those we saw on Friday was inexcusable. Marsh and/or Toovey would be better options.

Langdon needs to stop dragging his feet and start improving. He's either injured or unfit. I suggest the latter.

I think it's safe to say that there's a few blokes getting games on the back of our lack of fit personnel. Once we have a fit and firing team then these guys will be called out and dropped.

Once sidebottom and varcoe come back then williams, langdon or macaffer misses out.

I don't think Aish showed much the other night but then again it was his first ever game for us. I would like to see him take the game on and kick rather than handball.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:23 pm

The way Buckley spoke about Langon in the press conference I would suggest he could be dropped this week.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Before or after he captains the Club?
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:31 pm

September Zeros wrote:
mgh3536 wrote:
Gault, McAffer and Ramsey out

Goldsack, howe and Toovey in

Ramsey out? Surely not?

Yeah this was the first time I actually thought he's had a decent game!

----------
------------
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:41 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think a lot will depend on Howe's report, Varcoe's injury progression and whether Bucks and the match committee want to make a statement early in the season.
Marley was horrible in defence the other night his kicking was very sub par when generally he is a moderate kick. But he still has agression at the contest and that X factor about him. I would move him to the bench and use him in the middle as a battering ram clear the contest type.
We need skill down back badly. Reid adds to it immensely and will be better again for the run. Would love Pendles and Varcoe starting down back to give us some skill flair and most importantly decent kicks. Don't know if we can afford both there however. Our midfield which was much vaunted in the preseason has yet to fire a shot. Don't know if this is to do with bad rucking, bad structures or simply bad play.
Our success the past few years has been built on contested ball and we having been badly beaten in both games. Richmonds poor goal kicking and last 5 minutes doesn't hide the fact we aren't playing anywhere near good enough to be a finals contender let alone at a minimum be competitive with the best sides.
It won't happen but I would like to see the following changes

Out Langdon, Caff, Gault, Aish
In Varcoe, Howe , Cox, Maynard

Contested ball against Richmond was basically even, we lost: 134-131. We were smashed by Sydney in contested ball, but they are probably the best in the comp.

Clearances were poor against the Tigers: 24-37. I'd put this down to Grundy's rucking performance.

Richmond did miss a number of shots, but even taking out the last few minutes, that was a fairly even game. We controlled as much of the game as they did (+2 on i50s), we just had a more difficult time putting it on the scoreboard until late.

Fair points Inky I thought our contested ball was a lot worse than that against the Tigers. Clearances have been bad both games even when we have won it we seem to turn it over quickly.
The Tigers seemed to have more control on the game for longer periods than us IMO but we either found a spoil or intercept or they butchered to us quite a few times.
I agree that we didn't impact the score board as much as we could or should have early but Rance seemed way more effective before half time than after
I still believe we need changes as the win masks the holes that have been glaringly bad in the first 2 rds

There are definitely holes, but for me it's not about personnel (though there were a couple of selections that I thought were wrong for round 1) but confidence and cohesion. This is going to be fixed by picking and sticking with the right players, not constant shifting.

Talk of dropping players like Langdon or Williams is exactly what we don't need given they are fit. We obviously feel these two are first team players and a big part of our future, they both have important roles to play that are not easily replaced. I'm very pleased with our backline, I think there's a good mix there, let them play together and develop understanding as it's a line that's had a lot of change over the last couple of years.

This is not to say that there shouldn't be any changes, badly underperforming players do need to be replaced, but it's not personnel that's going to see us improve dramatically over the next month or two, other than the inclusion of Sidebottom and Varcoe. And this isn't only a response to your posts, I actually only just noticed that you suggested we should omit Langdon. I have no problem with that suggestion or any other by the way, always happy to read a different view.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:51 pm

We can't drop Gault and replace him with a non ruck option. It would have to be Cox or White in for him. Without a bona fide second ruck, if Grundy went down early, we'd be stuck with Moore and Cloke as our rucks for the match. Very compromised situation there.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:00 pm

We only had 3 passengers against the Tigers imo, and they were MaCaffer, Gault and Aish.

Given it was Aish's first game, he should be given another chance to make some sort of impact. I hate to say it, but he gives the impression he's a tad soft. We know he's got the skill, but he'll need to toughen up big time if he's going to make it at senior level.

Gault just doesn't look ready for the AFL and maybe he never will. There are some who shine in the VFL and in practice games, but who just can't cope with the added pressure of fair dinkum senior footy. So let him earn a recall playing back in the VFL for a few weeks.

MaCaffer has always been somewhat of a journeyman footballer; nothing flash, but fully committed. Sadly, he seems to have lost what little pace he had before his 2 knee recos. He also needs to earn a recall by starring in the VFL.

As to who comes in, I didn't see the VFL game but it seems that Goldsack, Goodyear and White were our best players, so they should come under serious consideration. I'm thinking Goldsack would be good to play as our 3rd tall up forward, where he can add extra movement and fierce tackling pressure. Goodyear would provide us with a bit more pace.

Finally, has anyone else been a little disappointed with Adams so far? I was expecting him to take it up a notch this year, but to be honest, he doesn't seem to have had much of an impact at all. Our contested ball needs to improve considerably and that's his forte, so hopefully he's just slowly building momentum for a long and successful season.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:03 pm

aish didn't look soft to me.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:10 pm

John Wren wrote:
aish didn't look soft to me.

I'm glad to hear that. I certainly hope you're right and I'm terribly wrong.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:11 pm

there was one contest i thought he would break in half but, iirc, he threw himself amongst it and won the ball.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Finally, has anyone else been a little disappointed with Adams so far? I was expecting him to take it up a notch this year, but to be honest, he doesn't seem to have had much of an impact at all. Our contested ball needs to improve considerably and that's his forte, so hopefully he's just slowly building momentum for a long and successful season.

Yeah, hasn't been winning enough clearances or doing enough outside of the coal face. A little disappointed in De Goey's start as well, but he is only young. The addition of Greenwood and Treloar to the centre square has altered the dynamics a bit, so far the two new players are doing well but Adams, Pendlebury and De Goey have not been at their best.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:37 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Yeah, hasn't been winning enough clearances or doing enough outside of the coal face. A little disappointed in De Goey's start as well, but he is only young. The addition of Greenwood and Treloar to the centre square has altered the dynamics a bit, so far the two new players are doing well but Adams, Pendlebury and De Goey have not been at their best.

It seems Pendles has been hampered by sore ribs, so we can cut him some slack. I was actually pleased with De Goey, but he can certainly play better, while Adams really needs to fire up. If we can get these 3 midfielders playing close to their best, with the likely return soon of Sidey and Varcoe, we'll be a much better team.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:30 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I'd add Crispy to that list. Continual improvement hopefully.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:36 pm

We all see it differently don't we? Adams was in my top 5 and so was Pendlebury. Adams worked his arse off all day, in and under and tackling. He'll never be a flashy type, but he does the grunt work. Pendles was obviously not at his best, but a B grade game from Pendles still managed 3 votes from me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15   

Jump to: