Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What can't or won't you eat?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Glad someone mentioned ripe bananas, I can't even stomach the smell! As soon as the skins start to get spots, I peel them and freeze them for smoothies. Not a lot worse than a banana peel left in a hot car for a day or two, ugh!

Jo, I'm the opposite; I just inhaled a near black one just before I logged on. Black near-death bananas are a habit I picked up around 1989, by a former work collegue who somehow got me hooked on them.
I was told years ago by another former work colleague who had spoken to a dietitian, who said that the best time to eat a banana is when they are starting to "spotify", which means that is when the vitamin-B is starting to manifest.
Nothing wrong with eating them before they ripen to that degree, but you are effectively eating water. So I have never bothered validating that opinion via google, might I add.

I'd often go to work with semi-perished bananas in my lunchbag, which used to gross-out some of the gals in the lunch room: "Dyso, it stinks - YOU ARE NOT going to eat that black banana are you...?"
"Watch me." [As I love a dare, this is right up there with drinking the expired milk from the carton from the lunchroom fridge in my cuppas. I live life on the edge...]
"I think there is something wrong with you sometimes mate..."
"Yeah I'm hearing ya; makes you wonder doesn't it?"

Sure, some of them had began to liquify thus losing their flavour and almost tasting bitter, but I punished myself for leaving them too long in the fridge in the first place.
Yet they eventually got on board with me though, farming off any bananas that didn't get eaten at home, by leaving them on my desk some mornings. I was feeling the love.

I hereby declare all of the above to be true and accurate; truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Oh, and at home the skins go in the freezer until rubbish-day, so they don't putrify the rubbish bin itself and attract fruit flys. Even if they are the only pets i'm allowed in my unit; stupid f*cking body-corp regulations...

Dyso

Last edited by piedys on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:05 pm

How do you like living there?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:19 pm

In the Pacific islands, banana is treated as a root vegetable. They pick them very, very green - I'm talking rock hard green, way greener than you ever see them in the shops here - and boil them the same way you and I would boil a potato, then serve them as a starchy base vegetable under a tasty sauce (i.e., similar to the way we serve potato, pasta or rice, and they eat sweet potato or yams).

My grandfather, on the other hand, was like Dyso. Me, I like that perfect banana stage where they are firm but creamy with that dreamy banana taste that you don't get until that stage, and which is swamped by that unpleasant black-banana taste and smell soon afterwards. Usually it comes just before they star getting spots or just after, and it only last about 24 hours (more in cold weather, sometimes only three or four hours if it's very hot).Sometimes bananas go straight from too green to too ripe with no creamy stage in the middle. I hate that!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Plantains yeah?

I agree with you, they have to be just yellow, no black spots or they get too sweet and bananary tasting!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Tannin wrote:
In the Pacific islands, banana is treated as a root vegetable. They pick them very, very green - I'm talking rock hard green, way greener than you ever see them in the shops here - and boil them the same way you and I would boil a potato, then serve them as a starchy base vegetable under a tasty sauce (i.e., similar to the way we serve potato, pasta or rice, and they eat sweet potato or yams).

My grandfather, on the other hand, was like Dyso. Me, I like that perfect banana stage where they are firm but creamy with that dreamy banana taste that you don't get until that stage, and which is swamped by that unpleasant black-banana taste and smell soon afterwards. Usually it comes just before they star getting spots or just after, and it only last about 24 hours (more in cold weather, sometimes only three or four hours if it's very hot).Sometimes bananas go straight from too green to too ripe with no creamy stage in the middle. I hate that!

I used to pick bananas in 1975 & work in the banana fields when I was 18-19 on a kibbutz right on the border of Lebanon & the Mediterranean sea.

The kibbutz employed two guys from a local township about 10 km away who were originally from Yemen and both of them were both about 4'10" & they had the machetes & would cut a v shape on the plant trunk & the banana bunch would come to rest on your shoulder. They then would swipe the machete (within a few inches of your life) to cut the thick stem where the bunch had been attached.

There were spiders, mice & occasionally little snakes just to freak you out. We then had to carry the bunches onto flat trailers where there would be a stacker who would stack them in a remarkable manner & ridiculously high but all firmly in place. A Unimog (Merc industrial 4WD coincidentally taken from the Egyptian 3rd army that a certain Ariel Sharon against orders had encircled & basically won the 1973 war against the Egyptians & others but that is another (amazing) story) would drive the full trays along a ridge & then a road to an empty semi trailer where they would be unloaded & then loaded (I became very strong in that 12 months period when I did the loading standing on the semi trailer).

The pick of the green bunch was invariably one ripe banana & that was always a beauty: Not green not too ripe and simply delicious.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:42 am

Oh dear god, now I'm picturing unimogs full of those giant spiders, and garbage trucks full of putrid banana peels, with swarms of fruit flies following them!

But that 1 good banana sounds nice!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:50 am

piedys wrote:
think positive wrote:
Glad someone mentioned ripe bananas, I can't even stomach the smell! As soon as the skins start to get spots, I peel them and freeze them for smoothies. Not a lot worse than a banana peel left in a hot car for a day or two, ugh!

Jo, I'm the opposite; I just inhaled a near black one just before I logged on. Black near-death bananas are a habit I picked up around 1989, by a former work collegue who somehow got me hooked on them.
I was told years ago by another former work colleague who had spoken to a dietitian, who said that the best time to eat a banana is when they are starting to "spotify", which means that is when the vitamin-B is starting to manifest.
Nothing wrong with eating them before they ripen to that degree, but you are effectively eating water. So I have never bothered validating that opinion via google, might I add.

I'd often go to work with semi-perished bananas in my lunchbag, which used to gross-out some of the gals in the lunch room: "Dyso, it stinks - YOU ARE NOT going to eat that black banana are you...?"
"Watch me." [As I love a dare, this is right up there with drinking the expired milk from the carton from the lunchroom fridge in my cuppas. I live life on the edge...]
"I think there is something wrong with you sometimes mate..."
"Yeah I'm hearing ya; makes you wonder doesn't it?"

Sure, some of them had began to liquify thus losing their flavour and almost tasting bitter, but I punished myself for leaving them too long in the fridge in the first place.
Yet they eventually got on board with me though, farming off any bananas that didn't get eaten at home, by leaving them on my desk some mornings. I was feeling the love.

I hereby declare all of the above to be true and accurate; truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Oh, and at home the skins go in the freezer until rubbish-day, so they don't putrify the rubbish bin itself and attract fruit flys. Even if they are the only pets i'm allowed in my unit; stupid f*cking body-corp regulations...

Dyso

I googled it!

We eat heaps of bananas, and the ones with too many spots go into the freezer for smoothies.

Great pre or post workout food. Potassium and magnesium and resistant carbs, and enough calories to fuel the burn!

I can't stand green bananas they taste woody, it's like eating a mouthful of orange pith, ugh. Clear yellow is just right, I don't mind a few spots, but it must still feel firm! And also better if you have any blood sugar problems. The blacker they get the higher the sugar content, so they spike your energy levels. That could explain the one flew over the cuckoos nest hair!

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-health/ripe-vs-unripe-bananas-which-are-better-for-you/

One things for sure, a banana, in any state of ripeness, sure beats a processed snack!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 am

OK, I'll jump in - I love bananas, and banana anything - milkshake, pancakes, banana bread, banana cake, all of it.
But they have to be the right ripeness - not spotty, just a little bit soft.
My recently passed friend only ever ate them green which I never understood. Hard & crisp... ewwww. They were actually crunchy when he ate them.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:57 am

think positive wrote:
Oh dear god, now I'm picturing unimogs full of those giant spiders, and garbage trucks full of putrid banana peels, with swarms of fruit flies following them!

But that 1 good banana sounds nice!

The spiders weren't giant & was only every now & then that the mice & snakes less so - sorry to give that impression. If the spiders were there I wouldn't have worked in the banana fields!

But that first banana was a beauty.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:06 am

Quite a few in the tavern dining on humble pie lately Wink
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The spiders weren't giant & was only every now & then that the mice & snakes less so - sorry to give that impression. If the spiders were there I wouldn't have worked in the banana fields!

But that first banana was a beauty.

One of my fav "The Far Side" toons by Gary Larson: Tarantula
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Skids wrote:
Quite a few in the tavern dining on humble pie lately Wink

I don't eat rednecks.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Flew in last night and Kelly had picked up some T bones from our local butcher Barbaro Bros. These blokes started up just down the road from me about 25 years ago.
There is nothing that compares to the quality of meat these blokes dish up!
Honestly, if you're ever in the West, look m up and GO there, just go there!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:39 pm

^

Love a good t bone, best of both worlds with the porterhouse and the fillet.

Best are the really thick ones, over an inch thick and weighing around 500g. All you need with it is some fresh corn on the cob and some potato.

Anyway, anyone ever tried Australian native finger limes? I've got a plant of that and another that's a hybrid of that and something else that grows small round fruit. You can eat the whole thing, skin and all, the inside is orange in colour and has the consistency of sago or caviar but has a very tart crisp lime flavour.
Just moved the plant from the front to back yard to get more sun and gave mum one of the fruit. First bite she screwed her face up something fierce, but kept going back for more. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: