Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckley's failure is list management....and retention of fragile players. More than a quarter of our list spend more time in the infirmary than they do on the field.

When you have a list of 40 plus a few, you can keep having faith in injuries....

We are continually let down by the injured.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Despite having 8 years at the helm, it’s not Buckley’s fault for the lack of depth or constant picking up of injured players...

Blaming injuries is a pathetic excuse that Buckley’s supporters have been using for 8 years now. Must be a coincidence it’s never improved under his watch...

But they’ll dine out on coach of the year for another 5 years of failure because Collingwood supporters are happy to accept mediocrity...
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Buckley didn't want Wells or Mayne, and he didn't want Beams.

Who's overruling him? Focus your anger in that direction.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:35 pm

The only aberration was last season when we surprised everyone by having fewer injuries than previous years, picked up some handy young kids (Stephenson), and had a very easy fixture. It helped that Buckley seemed to get the message at the end of 2017 that he needed to loosen up, and he allowed the team to play on instinct and flair, rather than the stodgy stop-and-go pattern of previous years. It's noticeable this game style has re-emerged this year from Round 1. Buckley's control-freak tendencies have returned after a one year absence. 2019 is simply Buckley returning to type.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:55 pm

shawthing wrote:
The only aberration was last season when we surprised everyone by having fewer injuries than previous years, picked up some handy young kids (Stephenson), and had a very easy fixture. It helped that Buckley seemed to get the message at the end of 2017 that he needed to loosen up, and he allowed the team to play on instinct and flair, rather than the stodgy stop-and-go pattern of previous years. It's noticeable this game style has re-emerged this year from Round 1. Buckley's control-freak tendencies have returned after a one year absence. 2019 is simply Buckley returning to type.

So let me get this straight. Buckley’s control freak tendencies returned from round one but we were second on the ladder after round 14.
I can only conclude from that, he must have been making very astute decisions on his own for the first 14 rounds of the year.
After round 14, we then proceed to slip from 2nd to 6th on the back of an unprecedented spate of injuries over three weeks against three of the top four teams in the comp.
Not sure how you equate all that to being a poor coach ... but that’s just me.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:58 pm

shawthing wrote:

rubbish

this year in early games we showed we were able to play various game styles- Richmond game being one where we shocked everyone.

He knew others would be coming and breaking down our style from last year and worked to adapt.

This is a sign of a good coach.

The reason we look so terrible of late is largely due to lack of continuity- revolving door of players makes it hard to settle and have complete trust.

If a bunch of new blokes started at your work one week and then the next week a few older blokes went away and they were replaced by some more new guys and this went on and on- you'd soon realise that productivity would struggle and the work would suffer.

Our injured team would probably beat our team from Friday night.

Add to that the drop in from and effort from some key mids and apart from getting out there himself, how the hell can he do anymore?
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Quote:
Yeah he's still got another year to run on his extended contract. I say you give him five more years so other teams don't go chasing him. Re-sign him quick.

Signed, C. Judd.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:14 pm

I don't know what to think anymore. Is Buckley the right man - not sure. If he was, we should've won last years GF.

Successful teams in the last 60 years talk about building teams to win Grand Final/s. Correct me if wrong but I've never heard senior Collingwood people talk like that. All they is that we made the finals or made the 8 or made the 4 or we made top 2 or we are 1st.

Wasn't a fan of Bucks in those middle/late years but something changed and we nearly (Should Have) won 2018 GF. Anybody else would not have lasted 7 years at Collingwood except Bucks because of McGuire and that's a fact.

Injuries have been cruel to Bucks and that's also a fact for whatever reason/decision good or bad.

Hard to see what the rest of 2019 will bring but it has to be 2020.

In the media - it's either McGuire or a player screwing up last 7 years. More than any other club i presume - is that or that is Collingwood culture? and McGuire has a lot, if not heaps to do with that.

What I do know is that the 2 premierships we have won since 1958 have been from non-Collingwood players come coaches.

Hopefully 2019 steadies but looking like 2020 at this stage.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 pm

If it goes to the shit this year , it will be nervous times for the coach. I would love a coach like Hodge who is a complete mongrel.

www.facebook/the hybernators
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
shawthing wrote:

So let me get this straight. Buckley’s control freak tendencies returned from round one but we were second on the ladder after round 14.
I can only conclude from that, he must have been making very astute decisions on his own for the first 14 rounds of the year.
After round 14, we then proceed to slip from 2nd to 6th on the back of an unprecedented spate of injuries over three weeks against three of the top four teams in the comp.

We’ve lost to 11th, 12th and 14th and every chance of adding 18th to the list this week.

This is no sudden form slump on the back of injuries, we’ve been going downhill since ANZAC Day but managed to just get over the line against 5/6 bottom sides we played. The only reason they are now losing games is they’re actually playing sides who aren’t shit. Although I imagine if we played Carlton right now we’d get smashed.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Buckley didn't want Wells or Mayne, and he didn't want Beams.

Who's overruling him? Focus your anger in that direction.

Do recruitment team heads have the power to veto the coach's wishes? Just wondering who does have the ultimate say with recruitments. Does anyone know?.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:51 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Actually, given our current predicament, your questions are not warranted at all.

FFS, we were sitting pretty in 2nd spot on the ladder before our injury (and Stevo's suspension) toll began to mount, to the point where it is now at all time record levels.

Blame the conditioning staff, blame the recruiters, blame the Olympic park surface, blame the almighty for all I care, but ffs don't put this shit on Bucks. Under the circumstances, he is doing his damnedest just to select 22 each week. We have no chance of finding rhythm, confidence and understanding of each others role, when we turn over so many players each and every week.

Give the guy a phucking break.

This is my view of Bucks the coach as well.
Our current injury crisis is unprecedented in the fifty plus years I've been a Pies supporter. I can't recall any other club having such an injury rate either, although of course I don't follow their fortunes. This is a really seriously bad situation that no coach should have to try and deal with.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:57 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
shawthing wrote:

We’ve lost to 11th, 12th and 14th and every chance of adding 18th to the list this week.

This is no sudden form slump on the back of injuries, we’ve been going downhill since ANZAC Day but managed to just get over the line against 5/6 bottom sides we played. The only reason they are now losing games is they’re actually playing sides who aren’t shit. Although I imagine if we played Carlton right now we’d get smashed.

So we weren’t within a kick of a flag in 2018 ?
So we weren’t second at the end of round of 16 ( ? ) in 2019 ?
I would thought that’s a reasonable block of good coaching.
Pretty sure 16 other AFL coaches would agree.,
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:06 pm

shawthing wrote:
The only aberration was last season when we surprised everyone by having fewer injuries than previous years.

We had less injuries in 2017.

If anything, injuries were taking their toll more in 2018 than in 2017 but our ability to still play high standard footy was the most impressive aspect of last season.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
shawthing wrote:

So we weren’t within a kick of a flag in 2018 ?
So we weren’t second at the end of round of 16 ( ? ) in 2019 ?
I would thought that’s a reasonable block of good coaching.
Pretty sure 16 other AFL coaches would agree.,

Right now there would be at least 11-12 coaches in a better position than Buckley and of the other 5, 3 would be under serious pressure to keep their jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: