Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A defining cultural moment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone Ranger wrote:
Would you sign a contract that said "we can terminate you whenever we feel like it"?

To be fair, I have, both in my last and current jobs. Maximum term contracts that can be ended with 4 weeks notice.

Previous employer exercised that option due to budget changes, then changed their mind and asked me to stay, which I did until I got offered another job and resigned.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:06 am

David wrote:
The General wrote:
remember, any indiscretions on his behalf reflect badly on the whole club, not just him. So the club must put measures in place to protect the brand.

Each to their own, but I would be perfectly happy for the club to shove its brand where the sun doesn't shine if it means we don't have to sacrifice quality players on that altar.

I do care about things like club culture and workplace conditions, but I'd love for someone to explain to me what a "brand" is and why it must be protected at the expense of onfield success. Or let's put it another way: what happens if our brand gets tarnished? Do we get kicked out of the comp? Do supporters stop turning up to games? Do we no longer have sponsors lining up to give us money? No? So what's the big deal? Let's stop jumping at shadows and recognise that our club is big enough to cope with a bit of negative media publicity.

None of that is to excuse player off-field indiscretions, but to situate them where they belong: with the law of the land and the player's role as a member of society, just like the rest of us. About time we let football take care of itself.

possibly

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:15 am

Deja Vu wrote:
How is what Collingwood are proposing actually even legal? “Whenever they think is necessary” is basically At Will employment, which does not exist in Australia.

There must be something else they are trying to get in there

i doubt very much thats anything like what it says! just who is leaking the info? who would it benifit? hmm. ill take it all with a grain of salt thanks.
enough posturing, club can pull back a little and DeGoey should sign.

$850K
its not just paying a player when they can work for x reason, its also $850K out of our salary cap. its not peanuts. didnt he miss preseason with his frisbee hand? im guessing drink driving/speeding cost games, the first girl? new york certainly did, its not just as easy as saying Bali was a beat up. To me it said New York taught him nothing. and it should have. do what the hell you want if you must act like a bachelor party fool, just show some common sense when your doing it, ie no fricken phones or cameras for a start!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:37 am

Let's not forget, the defining cultural moment of this year has been embracing difference, celebrating unique personalities, and enjoying our footy. The last thing we want to do is strangle the life and energy out of this team. Work hard, play hard, be passionate, be daring, be yourself.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:51 am

Basically the club is saying to Jordy "we don't trust you". If I was Jordy I'd respond, "well that's fine, thanks for letting me know, I reckon I'll play better at a club where the people around me do trust me".
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:44 am

^ Exactly, Rudeboy!

Media should have behavioural clauses. Wait, they do — it’s called ethics. But they regularly ignore it.

I’d be goneski if I had a swearing clause.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:56 am

As usual, there seems to be 2 quite different versions in relating to the clauses, depending on who you read. I suspect one is being fed from the club and the other from Jordy's manager and the AFLPA.

I think it will work out provided the board isn't too bull headed.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:03 am

He'd never get a job in mining, you should see our contracts!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:18 am

Skids wrote:

That's probably because many workers were conned into signing individual contracts, instead of having the protection of a union negotiated collective agreement.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
As usual, there seems to be 2 quite different versions in relating to the clauses, depending on who you read. I suspect one is being fed from the club and the other from Jordy's manager and the AFLPA.

I think it will work out provided the board isn't too bull headed.

Basically you and I don't know because none of us have seen his contract. I think it's right and proper for the AFLPA to step in and speak to both player and club in an attempt to resolve this because there's a bigger picture here. It's not just about JDG. It's about the rights of an employer to demand standards of behavior to go outside an employee's duty of care and responsibility in reflecting the values and goals of the company they work for. For instance, as something that has come up before, if the club has a sponsorship deal with a govt body that promotes safe driving and a player is caught drink driving, there should be a trigger point in the player contract to sanction the player. However you have grey areas as with what a player does when he goes out celebrating after a game and has one drink too many. I imagine it relates to that that JDG is objecting to if the club uses that as an excuse to tear up the contract two years into his five year contract.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:04 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Skids wrote:

That's probably because many workers were conned into signing individual contracts, instead of having the protection of a union negotiated collective agreement.

Don't get me started on unions Rude, they wrecked it for themselves by being ridiculous.
I remember strikes back in the 80's & 90's because; there wasn't enough cordial flavour choices (4 wasn't enough Confused ), somebody dropped a spanner down a lift shaft, blokes on the Perth - Mandurah train line ALL went home when the temperature in Perth reached 37, even though down at the Mandurah end the seabreeze was blowing and it was 27 down there, one out all out Rolling Eyes.
I was abused for being a 'Scab' when I was still working, oblivious to the misty rain that would have taken 3 days to wet your shirt.
They were pathetic.

Mining contracts pay well above the award... 50%+ more.
Blow numbers in the morning will get you a warning, do it again, your sacked. Positive drug test will result in immediate dismissal, unless it's a low count weed positive, you'll qualify for a drug awareness course.
Failure to attend without reasonable cause will see you get a warning. Jordy would struggle.
Of course, these rules only apply to those of a particular gender and ethnicity these days.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:35 am

Skids wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Skids wrote:

Don't get me started on unions Rude, they wrecked it for themselves by being ridiculous.
I remember strikes back in the 80's & 90's because; there wasn't enough cordial flavour choices (4 wasn't enough Confused ), somebody dropped a spanner down a lift shaft, blokes on the Perth - Mandurah train line ALL went home when the temperature in Perth reached 37, even though down at the Mandurah end the seabreeze was blowing and it was 27 down there, one out all out Rolling Eyes.
I was abused for being a 'Scab' when I was still working, oblivious to the misty rain that would have taken 3 days to wet your shirt.
They were pathetic.

Mining contracts pay well above the award... 50%+ more.
Blow numbers in the morning will get you a warning, do it again, your sacked. Positive drug test will result in immediate dismissal, unless it's a low count weed positive, you'll qualify for a drug awareness course.
Failure to attend without reasonable cause will see you get a warning. Jordy would struggle.
Of course, these rules only apply to those of a particular gender and ethnicity these days.

life or death, silly rules, let dickheads kill themselves!!!

37 is a walk in the park, one thing i do agree with the older generation, while things needed to change, its swung way to far! soft as shit these youngsters, want it all, arrogant, greedy, me me me!!

no one giving a thought to the employer paying the wages.

you gotta love unions, my sister was head accountant for Patricks, back duting the big strike she was threatened in the carpark, sworn at, pissed on, they had to get security. big brave $$%^%%$ areswipes picking on a 5 foot 4 30 year old woman. BRAVEHEARTS!!

just like everything unions are good until they start believing their own press!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: