Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gaps in our current list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Doedee is a free agent so no trade required however it seems he may have chosen Brisbane. Charlie Dean may just be the solution to life post Howe but foot injuries for first two years are concerning. Fingers crossed.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:49 pm

We need:

1. a prospective A grade strong bodied midfielder

2. a big key defender

3. a genuine CHF
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:37 am

inxs88 wrote:
Doedee is a free agent so no trade required however it seems he may have chosen Brisbane. Charlie Dean may just be the solution to life post Howe but foot injuries for first two years are concerning. Fingers crossed.

An offer to a Restricted Free Agent may be matched by their Club.
Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:50 am

^ apologies Laurie, I wasn’t calling out the thread for being all about key forwards, just that “key forward” seems to be the most predictable answer whenever we do ask the question about what we need.

(Also got a little side tracked as I think a couple threads have been merged here)

I just don’t see KPF as our primary need, but rather midfielders who are or can become the near term replacements for some of our greats who don’t have long left.

I agree we need to keep the list moving forward. To stand still is to fall behind.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:19 am

piffdog wrote:
^ apologies Laurie, I wasn’t calling out the thread for being all about key forwards, just that “key forward” seems to be the most predictable answer whenever we do ask the question about what we need.

(Also got a little side tracked as I think a couple threads have been merged here)

I just don’t see KPF as our primary need, but rather midfielders who are or can become the near term replacements for some of our greats who don’t have long left.

I agree we need to keep the list moving forward. To stand still is to fall behind.

I’m in a similar camp when it comes to the over emphasis of the need for a marquee KPF. Admittedly we’re going to have a need to replace Miochek in the medium term but for the last three years, all we heard was that we would never win a flag without a 60 plus goal kicker on our list. And we all know how that worked out. Added to that, the irony was the key forward we brought in, didn’t even play in that premiership.
Yes, we would all like the cherry on top but what he have just proven is that premierships can be won without them as long as everything else is A grade.
What we do have is a deep midfield that’s capable of kicking more goals than virtually any another clubs midfield and that in itself goes a long way to compensating for our lack of any marquee key forward.
There’s so many ways to win a game of footy and the key to constantly winning is to maximise what you’ve got, rather than be concerned about what you don’t have. And that’s something Collingwood did brilliantly in 2023.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:10 am

We still need a genuine KPF, KPD and a classy strong bodied midfielder.
joemamone@gmail.com 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:12 am

We need a Key Forward and a Key back. With respect to the forwards, the win this year reminds me a b it of the Melbourne win. They relied heavily on the mids kicking goals. This is unsustainable as was proven with Melbourne. Their lack of key forward proved their downfall.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:14 am

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:
We need a Key Forward and a Key back. With respect to the forwards, the win this year reminds me a b it of the Melbourne win. They relied heavily on the mids kicking goals. This is unsustainable as was proven with Melbourne. Their lack of key forward proved their downfall.
The word is there isn't much on offer in KPP in this year's draft.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:55 am

This trade and draft period feel 'thin on the ground' for tallent aside from the very high end of the draft.

Collingwood are in a very similar spot to Geelong after their premiership win last year...we have 10 players over 30. We, need to start to phase some of these players out over the next year.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:00 pm

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:

Richmond did it really well in 2017 when they won with Riewoldt as their only big name KPF. What they did after that was to recruit Lynch but they could only do it because he was a free agent. They could never have facilitated a fair trade because the more successful you are, the more your penalised in terms of trade currency.
Collingwoods best chance of obtaining the instant fix of a KPF or KPD, is to set themselves up to nab a quality key position player as a free agent. They will be working on it and these outcomes are generally more than a year in the making but you still need that right place and the right time “ luck “” to match your premiership window.
I get the wish list of priorities but we are bound by a salary cap. In truth, if we were to secure even one QUALITY player that improves our short term needs, then we would have done well.
Quick ball movement makes any forward look better anyway. I like it that we have shown interest in good ball users who are quick across the ground ( Holmes, Henry, Bergman ) Given that McStay hardly played this year, I would be ok with settling on more outside run in this off season but still with one eye on a quality tall via free agency in the next year or two. With Pendles and Sidey very close to the end, the salary cap will free up quickly, so hopefully that quality free agent is a real chance in the next year or two.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:50 pm

Slightly off topic of this thread (but within range) is the idea that we do t need to recruit someone who is already good at their role, but we can recruit someone who can get better at the role we need then to play. Our ability to turn a b grader into an a grader (or c grader into a b grader) should be viewed as a massive advantage. Means we can spend less in dollars or trade capital and potentially get a similar output over time.

Maybe with a full season and some continuity McStay becomes more of the KPF we think we need?

Don’t be surprised if we recruit people that don’t immediately appear to be guns, but can be “made” with good coaching and development.

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:36 pm

think positive wrote:
A fully fledge bono fida very tall agile FF!

Ash Johnson.

Ok, not very tall but ticks all the boxes for FF if he gets fit enough, and yes, that's a big "if".

jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:37 am

Whilst I understand the allure of a genuine marking tall FF I have a couple of cautionary memories that - to me at least - proves they aren't the cure all many think they are. We need to recruit talls indeed but we don't need a Macca, Gazza or Huddo.

1970 half way through the 2nd Q of the GF and Macca has the Bluz literally on the ropes and flopping around like a cck in a sock with 4 on the board before half time when Tuddy cleans him up. Lost the GF - all the talk about the brilliance of Barassi is just utter trash. Macca plays the full game and we win it in a canter.

1989 GF and the greatest performance by a full forward in a GF on record - Garry Ablett Snr 9 goals - just isn't enough and the Hawks roll them.

What's my concern then?

Great full forwards draw the ball - that's just natural.

Just as natural is the coach building his game plan around that forward.

Wonderful unless you have that forward injured enough to have to be taken from the field or if the opposition scores just a little more.

In a nutshell it gives you great scoring power but it just cuts out so many options for scoring.
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:08 am

derkd wrote:
Key forward is still a big gap. The lack of a Hawkins style crash and bash key could still cost us in a big final. Most teams try to have one key or at the very least one in development...think Freo with Amiss. Typically needs to be a high end draft pick.

Foresight! Wouldn’t it be great if Hawkins really was available

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:11 am

Amazing stats on the draft guru site. Pies have apparently had more draft picks to date than any other team (363) and second most number of trades (59)

https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: